1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fabulous Las Vegas Sign (getting there)

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by RyanM8704, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanM8704

RyanM8704 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello everyone,

Though I have been to Vegas a few times now, I have never been to the famous sign. I am sure its cheezy, but I still want to go and see it and take a picture of myself and partner standing in front of it lol.
    We arrive in Vegas early November 23, and I thought about heading there right after we land, straight from the airport. Is it better to taxi it there and then taxi to our hotel, or should I use a sedan service, like bell trans?
    Thanks for the advice/input!

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not cheesy in the least... all day long there's folks lined-up to get their picture taken in front of it. There's a small parking lot now in the median area and though there's always people there... not so many that it would be a long wait. It's pretty easy to get to from the airport and I think going there on the way in is a GREAT idea. I've seen both cabs and limos there.

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We walked there from MB. It's about a mile walk.

4. scottydoog

scottydoog Low-Roller

Birmingham, England. But born and raised in Bonny
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha Ha, it is ALWAYS further than you think in Vegas!

5. sheilawithvegasfever

sheilawithvegasfever Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a Vegas cab driver tell me once, "If it looks too far, it is. If it looks close, it still is far away." We have walked from Luxor to Stratosphere in the past. It felt about 5 miles!

6. REELmoneySlotFan

REELmoneySlotFan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We walk almost everywhere in Vegas. Walk up and down the Strip daily. Don't take cabs to walk from NYNY to Mirage or CC to Mandalay Bay. Why? We love to walk and in this way we experience Vegas to the max. While walking enjoy a frozen margarita, sit down for a moment and do some people watching. Nothing wrong with that. It's easy to get to the Welcome to Las Vegas sign with a cab from the airport or anywhere else. If you're staying at the Strip and you have a healthy pair of legs, take a risk and walk there :)

7. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as it's not 113 degrees out, I kind of agree. Once it gets real hot, though, a lot of us aren't used to walking that much in that kind of heat. And while that frozen margarita sounds nice when it's that hot, it's not helping as much as you might think (well, some of 'em are weak enough that they might, but alcohol in general, ya know.)

Just sayin' be careful in the heat.

8. REELmoneySlotFan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Completely agree with you there. We travel to Vegas from Februari to May and September or October. When the weather forecast says we'll have temperatures above 90 we either take early walks (without alcohol) or during the evening. Alochol and really hot weather isn't a great idea.

9. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While walking from MB to the sign we encountered two different folks. One group was walking to Fry's which is in TownSquare. That is quite a bit further than the sign. They seemed to be foreigners and were not too sure where they were going. The second folks we met were workers for Vegas sanitation. They were emptying out the garbage cans on the sidewalk along the way. One had a stick that he would would bang on the garbage can prior to emptying it. We inquired why he was doing this. He told us it was to scare the rats so they'd jump out of the can and not on him. We walked a bit faster after that and saved our trash for a garbage can in our hotel.

Our first day in Vegas was in October. It was a very hot October and were not used to the heat, dryness, or walking much. We walked from TI to IP, bought a large slushy each with a sidecar of tequila and headed south. We made it as far as the M&M store and had to take a bus back to TI. I blame the tequila.

10. REELmoneySlotFan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whatever the circumstances....always blame the booze. It´s the right thing to do in Vegas :)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.