1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Express Comps! What can I use them for?!

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Robviv, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Robviv

Robviv Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all, I’m from England. I visit Vegas 2/3 times a year and have a host at NYNY. My room gets comped as well as any food/drinks I charge to my room. I have been accumulating express comps, what can I actually use them for as I don’t need them for room charge items?!

2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately ECs seem to have very restrictive uses.

VMB members, I vaguely remember that some hotel gift shops take ECs. Is this true?

If not...

1. Splurge on food and drink so much they won't comp it all off the back end for you.

2. Convince friends or family to come with you and spend ECs toward their reservation.

If you gamble a lot more than you consume things like finer dining or high end booze, then it's pretty easy to pack on the ECs. I really wish I had that problem though. :oops:

3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Pay at a restaurant or a bar (there will be a few that won't take them, but most will. If you GET points for eating there, you can PAY with points).
    • Pay in a gift shop (I think there's some restrictions, maybe on certain retail items like clothing, but sundries you can pay for with ECs)
    • Apply them against your hotel bill like cash
    Sounds like in your situation, you probably want to go into a gift shop (maybe at Aria) and ask them what you can and can't use them for, and then load up the blingiest things they'll let you pay for with ECs, lol.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  4. Eleven99isFine

Eleven99isFine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think EC are restricted by much .. Just no tips. But I think most people know cash tips are appreciated in Vegas and are not comped so ...

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No retail as far as I know... which is why I still have some EC, even after taking lots of folks to Vegas.

There have been some isolated times when you get LOGO items, or cigarettes but that never seemed to be standard. We were able to get some retail at the spa years ago, but they seem to have closed that loophole.

Use them for show tickets, spa, cabana, meals, drinks. Pay for rooms for friends.

6. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only retail I know of is the Patisserie at either Bellagio or Aria. This includes the retail gift items.

Trip with the family to see the Eagles
  7. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We probably should put some sort of definition of what consists of "retail" in a gift shop for the OP.

I guess I'd say in general that "retail" (not payable via ECs) means dry goods - clothing, mugs, souvenirs, knick knacks, etc. I've never tried to buy any of those with ECs.

Non-retail (payable via ECs) means consumables - food (snacks), non-alcoholic drinks, beer, booze, I've paid for all of those with ECs.

Does that sound about right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    By non-retail consumables - are you talking about buying in a store vs a restaurant? Never even thought to buy food in a store - other than than places that are actually a food place with some retail items like coffee shops.

9. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, snacks, juice, soda, milk, beer, wine, booze, even sandwiches sometimes. The bigger hotel gift shops have all this stuff.

10. ritzcarlton89

ritzcarlton89 Tourist

I remember a cigar shop that’s located on the gaming floor at MGM Grand - Davidoff something that will take express comps for cigars and cigarettes but they stopped carrying most major brand cigarettes a few weeks ago. (They still carry American spirit and ecigs)

11. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

All my time in Vegas... I could have made good use of that part.

12. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't use EC's for anything at MGM gift shop. I've tried many trips.

Can use EC's for smokes and logo stuff in Tunica, MS. (this is no use for OP though)

your degen when you book your flight ON the flight home.
  13. ritzcarlton89

ritzcarlton89 Tourist

I wonder exactly which Mgm hotel gifts shops specifically allowed use of express comps for purchasing non retail consumables. Like jpw posted above, I also have had no success attempting to use express comps at the gift shops

14. romeocasido

romeocasido Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well the mlife desk clerk told me you can use ECs to pay for your room and room charges... So theoretically if you're able to charge to your room then you can use it for express comps right??? Or am I mistaken?

4th of July / UFC / Salsa Festival
    Labor Day Weekend
  15. Geogran

Geogran gamblin grandma

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As @Chuck2009x mentioned; some items. I can say we’ve been using EC’s for years at the Mirage and other gift shop for crackers, candy, all sorts of snacks, milk, sodas, etc to share with our traveling friends plus hubs snacks pretty regularly. Many a time in the middle of the night on my way to the room I stop in to refill sometimes spending 20-25 dollars in EC’s. We try to cap ours and above that cap, we treat our friends to casual meals.

To OP, just last week 4 of us ate at Charlie Palmer in Four Seasons and although they would not allow us to charge back to our Mirage hotel room, they did let me use my Express Comps to pay for the entire meal by runnng it through MB. Not sure if we were just lucky that night.

Another example is when we stay at Aria, they only let us use RC’s at Aria restaurants , so when staying there, we used EC’s when dining at other Mlife properties.

You are correct @romeocasido - you can use Express Comps to pay your room and room charges.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buy some needy gamblers dinner!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This sure has me confused.

18. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could swear I've used ECs at MGM Grand and Aria in the gift shops for consumables, but I could be mistaken. At CET, I know 100% I do it all the time.

19. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At CET gift shops, you can buy just about anything they have. We visited many of them once trying to burn through points. Even the "adult" ship at Flamingo will take points.

So... still trying to confirm you can buy food stuff at Mlife...

20. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Geogran confirmed, at least at Mirage.

• Agree Agree x 1