1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ellis Island Question

Discussion in 'Off-Strip Hotels' started by harley777, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskeyandslots

whiskeyandslots High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I will say that the first time that we visited Ellis Island -- when I saw those yellow Super 8 signs and then the parking garage -- I kind of wondered if we were at the *right* "Ellis Island." After all, this place was highly recommended from some forum members (on another forum) who always have some very harsh things to say about places like Excalibur. I know Excalibur certainly isn't Wynn, but...

Anyway, when we went in, my first impressions weren't changed much. After we ate that steak special, though, I started to understand. I thought it was delicious for the price! We then went back on another trip for breakfast and had an awesome breakfast steak special...once again, amazing....perhaps better than the famous "steak dinner special."

I don't play table games (which I don't think they had the first time we visited, but don't hold me to it...), so minimums and such aren't a concern for me, although I definitely understand that they make a HUGE difference for those who do play them. I haven't found their slots to be any "looser" than the slots on the Strip. So, it's not really my favorite gambling destination, but I definitely love going there to eat. And I can honestly kind of understand why some might think it's a "dump," but I think it's just...misunderstood?

• Like Like x 1
  2. stripes46

stripes46 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I love Ellis Island. Good pay tables, great food and really good beer. I have never had a problem parking in the garage. I like the finer things in life but when we are in Vegas we like to visit the locals hangouts. We try to hit EI and even Longhorn every trip.

• Like Like x 5
  3. thebig0

thebig0 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happens all the time at Bellagio and Palms.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Guy

Guy Captain of the Heads

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone actually stayed in the hotel part of Ellis Island? Have they finished refurbishing it?

Interestingly, the EI is the only place in Vegas that hasn't comped all my beer when I've been playing video poker (twice!) but it is only $2 a glass and I've been in profit on the machine, so no big deal...

5. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the barbecue about ten years ago and haven’t been tempted to repeat. The ribs are basically steamed then grilled, just not my style. But quantity for the dollar they can’t be beat. Now the item I have had about ten times is their steak and eggs, a real value and never disappoints. My only complaint is I’m usually in there for breakfast or lunch and I never see any tables open.

6. gradytripp

gradytripp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Steak and eggs: yep, they're fantastic!

No tables open? I think blackjack, at least, is 24/7. I've been there early in the morning, mid-morning, around lunch time, and late at night, and there's always at least a couple of blackjack tables open.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had to pay for a drink in EI. Guy's post surprised me.
    Personally, I like the chicken and eggs. Only served at breakfast it's a large butterflied chicken breast fresh dipped in their own batter and fried lightly so it's still real juicy...just great!

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Guy

Guy Captain of the Heads

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was the same bar tender both times, a large middle aged chap.

Perhaps I was just being too polite as they don't do the receipt in a glass that other bars seem to, so both times I asked what I owed and I got some beer comped but not all. I wasn't slow playing or anything.

9. CrapsCraps

CrapsCraps Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple years ago I was at Ellis Island with some friends. We each ordered Steak and Fries.

We receive four plates of Steak and rice.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too funny! Did they bring you the fries though? My wife has has occasions where they brought the wrong thing or my wife didn't like the side and its never been an issue getting it corrected.

11. CrapsCraps

CrapsCraps Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am sure we could have gotten some fries like we originally wanted to. But we were just laughing it off and still remember it from time to time.
    I am sure it must have been our german accent, but still weird that the server didn´t confirm the rice part during the order process :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. WINGSFAN2012

WINGSFAN2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Big question, is the Steak and Eggs special only in the AM or all day?

Also what is the price of it now?

13. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s until 11 am weekdays and 1 or 2 pm weekends. Current price is $6.99. They do have a top sirloin and egg as on the menu, available 24/7 but I wouldn’t recommend it. The special is much better.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Trailer666

Trailer666 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same thing happened to me last month. I ordered a clubhouse with coleslaw and got fries.:D Normally I would have just eaten the fries but I really had no appetite for fries so I had it sent back. There food is quite good though. I had the Philly cheesesteak a few days before and really enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI: Village Pub's are run by the same people and the food is very similar. There are locations all over the valley we frequent the one on Rainbow. The slot clubs are not the same however.

TomTWI

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been inside once...didn't enjoy it. Just no vibe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not for everyone that's for sure.

TomTWI

18. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yet I enjoyed Stage Door.

19. The Ost

The Ost Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a place to visit, I love it.

With an LVA coupon you get 6 drinks (it says beer, but you can switch to spirits no problem), plus I got 2 t-shirts and a free steak dinner.

A fun, friendly local place. I don't think i'd stay there though.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.