1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

El Co Brought Me To Tears

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by FormallyTD, May 1, 2020.

1. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in 2011, the El Co' had a contest where four designers created four different suites for the property.

The contest was won by Tina Enard and her 'The Big Sleep' suite. I want to say that this room was recreated on ten/eleven floors while the other three suites remained their own unique space on whatever floor they were remodeled on.

I've stayed in all four. I think the 'Hint Suite' was on a higher floor (the best suite if you needed to work...had a great space for that). The 'Rec Room' was on a lower floor for sure. It had a long bar and a lot of retro/vintage decor straight from the 1960's. 'El Contempo' room probably looked the best and was arguably the nicest of all of them aesthetically...don't remember what floor that one was on.

I had noticed over the past few years that these Suites (14-15 of them...however many of them there were / one per floor) were seemingly becoming more difficult to book. They seemed to be sold out just about every time I tried to book a few months in advance. It annoyed me because it's my favorite place to stay in town, but I didn't really have any interest in staying in the Cabana building across Ogden. I didn't have much interest in staying in anything that wasn't a Design A Suite (I'm a high-end guy, n'shit).

So I had plans on whipping out to LV in latter June. I'm about 75% to 25% sure that that's not going to happen at this point. I tried to book Cortez back in March, but those rooms weren't available (I went with The D, where I have yet to stay).

Two days ago I formulated my back-up plan for earlier August. This room type was actually available, but only two remained (which, again, is just very bizarre). I booked it.

Just prior to submitting your credit card information, there's a comment box where you can make special requests (EC has always been awesome when it comes to these requests...and mine are always requesting a specific Design A Suite room...this booking requesting the 'Rec Room', which is my overall favorite).

RecRoom.jpg
    Unfortunately, I finally learned the cold hard truth and it hit me like a Gerry Cooney right hook.
    Cooney.jpg
    I should have known that I did stay in one of their newly remodeled 'Premier Suites' a few Super Bowls ago. I woke up in the living room with blood caked all over my arm somehow. There's a TR to document it somewhere out there.

Anywho, the hotel manager actually reached out directly to me shortly after I booked and he saw my request. His emails made this guy very, very sad. I felt like that little weasel Jimmy Kimmell, who is always crying over nothing.

Tears welled up as I realized it was the end of an era. FormallyTD era...which is an important era...because I'm selfish. Selfish and heartbroken.

CortezI.jpg

CortezII.jpg

• Wow! x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. john1516inny

john1516inny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Formally TD, love your Gerry Cooney reference, I knew Gerry when he started out, my good friend had a chance to be his Manager and turned him down. He was a great guy, used to hang out at my friends bar in Huntington, NY, his girlfriend was a bartender there. Hopefully you will be able to get to El Co in August!!

• Love Love x 1
  3. 63hearts

63hearts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty sure the big sleep is room 700 and it's the one with the crocodile skull and studio spot light contraption thing., Close to the elevator and across from ice machine, good location.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry but I laughed out loud at the "I have made a notation not to put you in the suite with the broken jacuzzi". You must feel so special lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. nfajgmbr03

nfajgmbr03 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The worst thing about those rooms are the doors. I'm pretty sure a 9 year old could push hard enough to open those double doors. I do like the rooms though, stayed in a comped Big Sleep room a few years ago.

6. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, every one of those suites ends in -00. All of them are in the same location on each floor across from the ice machine.
    Years of dedication does pay off with the perks, @breanna61
    You ain't kiddin' about that. It adds to the excitement.

The last time I stayed in one (which was 'The Big Sleep'), the peephole was completely gone and there was a tissue stuck in the hole for additional privacy.

• Wow! Wow! x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PeepHo.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You sound like a swell guy, honesty is a precious commodity! I’m fine with selfish, but you had me at tears. :cry: :goofy: o_O :cool:

I’m impressed that he singled you out for that suite, and the one with a working jacuzzi - seems loyalty does have privileges and if you are a whale, all the better. :nworthy:

We expect pictures when it happens :D

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  9. TJC

TJC High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The ram horn in that room is not just decorative, it's good for awakening heavy sleepers. You'll be tempted to scare them using the gator head with the gold teeth because it'd be funnier, but it's too dang heavy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate when you love a design/room/decor and they change it.

Even worse is when you go from multiple interesting, unique options to one blanket theme.

I was hurting for you TD... I was frustrated for you!

Like a magical night from the Nutcracker saga, I had visions of Sugar plums and gum drops, dancing in my head...those rooms must have been magical!

Then, like a bucket of ice water in your face when first waking up, or an 8:00 am video conference call while in Vegas... after a wild night... you ripped my visions of grandeur right from my eyes with this.... 

PeepHo.jpg

Top that with the "we will make sure to give you the non-broken jacuzzi"....

Well, those two points are now all I can focus on!!! Just no.... dear Lord no.....

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll never forget getting a suite at Silverton with at least one mounted animal head on the wall.

...another oddity was that I couldn't get in until late because a poster from another forum had gotten extra late checkout from his host, and I didn't realize until I read a trip report. Silverton didn't care about me because I'd gotten the suite on a pricing error.

12. TheMadCows

TheMadCows Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never liked any of those suites myself. Thought they were corny. The El Co is what it is, a cheap property to stay at albeit, a nice one.

13. Roccoscollar

Roccoscollar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  14. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
  15. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. Roccoscollar

Roccoscollar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer to play BJ with a smaller number of players. Not sure I'll love the plexiglass but I'll deal with it. Still planning on being there 6/18. Are you still planning on being there during that time? If so, I'll do a little UTH home practice.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Roccoscollar

Roccoscollar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol That's definitely part of downtown.

18. Calder

Calder High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They're so nice and clean...with no one using them.

19. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We’re still planning on arriving June 17. Wizard of Odds has a great UTH practice game.

20. FABismonte

FABismonte Tell my wife I am "about even."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that there are some “earthy” customers at El Cortez. I vote for these acrylic barriers even after COVID 19.

Another CET Promo Event
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1