1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Eataly kind of sucks

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Jerry Snuggit, Jan 8, 2019.

1. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL... I still cheerfully, willfully and actively participate!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya know, I think I see a parallel (but in the opposite direction) between those who b*tch about Battista's and those who b*tch about Eataly. I think in both cases, those who don't get what they are expecting are disappointed.

At Battista's, those who are expecting contemporary Italian (or fusion) are disappointed. At Eataly, those who are expecting "Good old mom-n-pop red sauce soul food" are disappointed.

I do tend to agree on the pricing and the food court ambiance. (LOL, Sbarro?) :) :) :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Battista's just s*cks. And it has nothing to do with mom/pop red sauce/Italian-American. We do that all the time here. Battista's just s*cks. We had fun checking out Eataly in NYC but it wasn't a life-altering experience and a trip there certainly would not be compromised if it wasn't on the list.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ayoj

ayoj Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's anything like the one here in LA, it's not singularly cafeteria or food court style in the way y'all are portraying it as. They have counter food but they also have restaurants and bars interspersed throughout.

I'd say Block 16 Urban Food Hall at Cosmo is more akin to an updated food court concept.

I'm curious to see how the market aspect of Eataly works out in Vegas as the vast majority of hotel guests won't have access to a kitchen and Iocals won't go out of their way to head down to the strip. Though, as an occasional visitor I am glad that another more interesting 24-hour dining option exists.

• Like Like x 1
  5. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, pasta is pasta. I do not care what kind of fancy Italian name you put on it. I could never go out to eat pasta and I could never pay the Vegas high price for pasta. I am not a pasta snob. it simply is not that important to me. To each his own.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Guy

Guy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I definitely want to see more restaurant reviews from Tuggy. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mr.vegas

mr.vegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So Battista's sucks to.

8. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kids in Vegas; Battista's; Two topics guaranteed to get you some likes and agrees, and also some hate mail and accusations of being an idiot or something worse.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight King of no media

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I finally ate at Battista's on Dec. 5. I never have to do that again.

Eataly wasn't open yet, but we did walk by it since we were making a cameo on the strip.... something we did a couple of times, as it turns out. I'm all for paying for the privilege of eating on the strip,but I choose not to if at all possible, which is usually always. Hard pass on Eataly.

10. luridludicloco

luridludicloco Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the two Eataly locations in Manhattan, at Madison Park and at World Trade Center, overpriced tourist traps most people love; they are supermarkets of products from the different regions of Italy that have many restaurants scattered throughout: steak places, vegetarian places, seafood places, pasta places, some formal, some informal, and some just stands. It is nice to have dozens and dozens of different olive oils to choose from, etc., but who goes grocery shopping in Vegas? Maybe the people living at the condos, or visitors for many days with kitchens. At the Madison Park Eataly I once found marrons glacés, something I have never come across in Las Vegas, not even at Paris (if anyone reading this has seen them on the Strip, please post). In the WTC Eataly they have a circular bar where you can sample different Italian wines by the glass. It would be fun if they had that in the Strip Eataly with the addition of a Nevada touch, VP machines.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. VivaMattyVegas

VivaMattyVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Half of Eataly won't exist in a year and it sure as heck won't be 24/7

I'm not entirely sure who or what market they were going for here because no local is going to drive there, pay for parking and pay for overpriced pasta.

12. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Places like Eataly is the new Vegas. I like the old Vegas.

But it's not up to me or others like me. And if we are around that area next month we'll drop in and see what it's like.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Electroguy is spot on. We have a daily dose here of this-new-thing-won't-work and while that often is the case with specific entities, the "new" formula of Vegas that spawns all this stuff has been around for a very long time and it's not going away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mudhen

Mudhen Smart Axe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I'm in the neighborhood, I'll check it out. I won't go out of my way for it, though. For that matter, it would be rare for me to go out of my way for any restaurant.

15. Barolo

Barolo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Full disclosure I'm an Italian Wine Professional and I throughly enjoyed EATALY albeit the one in Chicago and cannot speak for the one in Vegas. This is where I think most people are going wrong with their mindset when visiting EATALY, you cannot go in and expect to see "Traditional Americanized" Italian dishes/ products... the concept in my perspective is that they are bringing the "real" Italy to customers in the form of EATALY, Italy from North, Central, South, and the Islands are extremely diverse cultures and they are bringing that diversification/cultures to their stores in the form of dining, food, and products.

Wife's B-Day Bash
    • Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And that explains your screen name! Welcome aboard. GLAD to have you here.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also was thinking the same way. I'm sure the place will be filled with visitors because of the new and interesting concept.

But throngs of people looking and browsing will not pay the rent. This is specific to the Vegas location because I know if there was an Eataly where I live I would buy something.

I like trying "authentic" foods and we all know that can be hard to do in the good ole USA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :ssst:

• Like Like x 1
  19. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really like Eataly. No, it apparently doesn’t appeal to the “value crowd” on this site, but it doesn’t have to. They will do just fine in LV selling wine to the browsers. I would think stuff like prosciutto, cheese, and pizza slices will fly off the shelf too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  20. luridludicloco

luridludicloco Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spot on. Yes, I am with you a hundred percent. I have been many times to Eataly in NY, both on 23rd St and on WTC and every time it is different. They are not inexpensive, but they have delicious pasta, among other things. It is not just pasta, but pasta with clams, or pasta with sea urchin, or pasta with truffles, it is a variety of things that you don't find easily anywhere else. I would love in Vegas to play VP with a glass of Brunello di Montalcino, and I would really love it if it were comped on my VP play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1