1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Eataly kind of sucks

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Jerry Snuggit, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Jerry Snuggit

Jerry Snuggit Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know, guess my palate hasn't evolved into the 21st century. When I think of a huge Italian food market, I'm thinking it's gonna be a tough call between veal parm (maybe picatta), some pizza slices, or perhaps a big bowl of spaghetti. Well Eataly has none of that.

There is a pasta stand, yes, but the choices are limited and far from what I'd call comfort food. See for yourself: https://www.eataly.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/CucinaMercato_Pasta-Fresca_12.30.18_For-Online.pdf

There is no stand for anything like a meatball sub, or a plate of chicken parmigiana, or a slice of lasagna. There's also no traditional pizza or slices, instead, one of the stands serves a flatbread-like thing.

Now there is a sit-down restaurant in the complex that does serve more basic pasta dishes and individual-size pizzas. But you don't get the fun of trying multiple foods from different counters, mixing and matching, etc. And this place still doesn't have veal parm, in fact, it is still a limited menu compared to any typical Italian restaurant.

40,000 square feet and I can't get a plate of meatballs? Pretty weak.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That should be similar to a traditional spaghetti and meat sauce. Different type of noodle but ... And a bit spendy, I admit.

• Like Like x 2
  3. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was speaking to a coworker about the new Eataly. She described Eataly just like OP, but her spin was this: it was enjoyable because it wasn't a typical Italian venue with typical Italian dishes. She added if you want spaghetti and meatballs, Olive Garden should be able to accommodate.

The menu does look interesting, though.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Guy

Guy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, there are big variations in cuisine between different parts of Italy, so what is traditional in one part isn't known elsewhere.

I believe most American/Italian food has its origins in the south and Sicily as they are the poorer areas of the country so had more emigration to the USA.

Although, as the OP says if most tourists expecting 'Italian' food to be the meatballs, spaghetti or pizza styles they are familiar with then Eataly might have a problem, unless they can find enough foodies who want higher end dishes in a glorified food court.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trevi, Bootlegger, Chicago Joe, (LOL, Battista's) will all have traditional red sauce pasta dishes with meatballs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I like the idea of being able to snag a cannoli quick, I am wary of it. Our local one is very chaotic and it triggers a rage in me, I just can't deal with the choices and crowds. Hopefully the Vegas one isn't as smooshed as the one here.

comped Excal and Duran Duran!
  7. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree.

8. ayoj

ayoj Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eataly is more your speed if you prefer Cacio e Pepe to spaghetti Bolognese...

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I look forward to checkin' Eataly out in a couple weeks... personally, I'm glad there's another place that doesn't appear to be catering to the value/frugal crowd. It's on the Strip after all, not downtown.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Tuggy79

Tuggy79 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went to the Eataly in NYC at New Year and walked straight out again. I just didn’t “get it” or like the concept at all.

For me it’s gimmicky and for people who like to be seen (twats)

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yummm . . . . Cacio e Pepe is simplicity, but delicious!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. fabriano

fabriano Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never seen/eaten a meatball in Italy. Although, I've never visited S. Italy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JRRestoule

JRRestoule High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stopped by last week and I wasn't impressed with it either.

• Like Like x 1
  14. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've watched a few Youtubisms on it. It struck me as odd, that there would be a pent up demand for that level of shopping in that particular area (the strip). We'll be out there this summer and take a peek.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ripper

ripper Low-Roller

So its part of Park MGM. Can a person charge it to the room for MGM properties? Use food credit? It looks good to me.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ayoj

ayoj Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can report back after this weekend, I'll be at ParkMGM.

• Like Like x 3
  17. sam_marques

sam_marques Vegas Vlogs Youtube / TeamClareVlogs

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can use Mlife f&b credit here, it was too busy when we visited but I asked them on Twitter.

• Love Love x 1
  18. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great thread. Some of the items on the menu DO catch my eye. I'm ok with "no meatballs", since it's a staple item (even obsession) that I make at home.

But...

It kind of lost me with the food court setting with $20 -25+ a pop menu items---for pasta. If I'm paying that, I want sit down...in a non-food court feel.

I adore, ADORE Cosmo...but on my last trip, Lardo lost me for exactly that reason. $16 for a good, but still "take out" Burger (no fries). I was kicking myself afterwards, because I could have paid $2 more at Holsteins, with great fries, a burger I love more, and more of a restaurant feel. (Not ambiance, but it's a burger place, and great food.)

From the menu at Eataly? I'd absolutely try it...I like it! My turn off is the trend of marketing a fast food-style setting, but charging sit down prices.

Pasta is an art, but it can be one of the cheaper cuisines to make, if not meat-heavy. (Or, like OP said, lasagna, or other time-consuming, expensive ingredient dishes.)

Pasta with a light cream or red sauce...it might be an art, but it's still a cheaper dish. So if it's pushing $20 - $25 a plate or more, ambiance better make up for ingredients.

I just am not drawn to $20+ a plate for non-lasagna/mannicoti (expensive-to-make pasta) in a food court setting, no matter how good.

But, Conde Nast likes it. So for those who like the menu, and DONT mind paying a little more in a more casual/open setting...it might be worth a try!

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cntraveler.com/story/inside-eataly-las-vegas/amp

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 2:06 AM
    Tentative
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. sam_marques

sam_marques Vegas Vlogs Youtube / TeamClareVlogs

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never ate a meatball when I lived in S.Italy for three years but that’s not to say there wasn’t any........ I just don’t like meatballs

• Love Love x 1
  20. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How much of those prices are simply associated with the zip code? Compared to our neck o'the woods, ever-thang in Vega$ costs more. But I do agree that I shan't be participating in cafeteria behavior at linen prices. I lost the desire for a Everybody's Doing It Cool Kid Seal Of Approval some decades past.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2