1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving from SF Bay Area to Las Vegas?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by countofmc, Nov 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. countofmc

countofmc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any Bay Area folks here who've done the drive recently? Will be doing it over Xmas Holidays this year. Planning on I-5 south to I-15 eventually, but wondering where is the best highway to cross over to the Bakersfield area?

Also, any suggestions on good places to stop along the way for food, clean restrooms, etc.?

I drive to LA a lot so I am very familiar with the usual stops along I-5, but not too familiar with the in-between highways and I-15

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cut over at CA-58E at Buttonwillow. There's gas, food and lodging available. Be careful about the time of day that you travel. I got "caught" with a closure due to snow and ice on I-58, causing me to take a detour South through Lancaster.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How you get from the 5 side of the valley to the 99 side of the valley is really more dependent on how you are getting out of the Bay Area -- East Bay, Pacheco Pass? Assuming East Bay your "best" route would be 580-205-5-120-99 if you want freeway the whole way. If you plan to spend time s/b on the 5 the most expeditious route across the valley would be the 46.

I don't think you literally mean taking the 5 until you hit the 15 because I doubt you want to go to SD on the way to Vegas. You want the 58 e/b from Bakersfield to Mojave and on to Barstow.

4. countofmc

countofmc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I'd have to get on 58, but was wondering what the preferred route is to cross over from the 5. Seems like you can take some routes before the 58, such as 46 through Wasco?

I also did not consider it can actually snow along that route, so I'll be sure to check the weather.

5. countofmc

countofmc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, didn't see you mention the 46 already. And I'm coming from South Bay area, so Pacheco Pass.

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stay on the 152 or cut down to the 46. Would you rather drive 5 or 99 for the longer stretch? Personally, I'd let google maps make the call for me in transit since both the 5 and 99 can jack up big time during holidays (and the 99 can just do it for good measure whenever it wants). Your weather "concerns," such as they are, in normal conditions would be Tehachapi and the usual stuff on the 5 in the east Mojave.

(Actual, I rather dislike both routes and would stay on the 101 to the 46 simply for the aesthetic improvement. But then you're dealing with that CF through Prunedale that seems to have been going on for 40 years. Although is that any worse than the Pacheco???)

7. countofmc

countofmc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, my big thing is just getting to Vegas ASAP, haha. I didn't know weather could be an issue through the Tehachapi Pass. Is snow there a pretty regular occurrence during winter, or is it rare?

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not rare but it's not regular. It's a bit like the Tejon or Cajon. A flake falls, CalTrans and CHP overreact, voila. lol Bottom line is you'll just have to find out when the time comes. Shouldn't be a problem, but it still is weather.

9. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    EDIT: Like others have said, go Highway 46 through Paso Robles and Wasco.
    Then it's easy..58 East, to 15 North.

Easy Peasy.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tim, the 680 from South Bay???

11. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol, I edited...

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thought you might've been out there in the wee hours changing signs on CalTrans!

Nice avatar, btw!!!!

Plus, when you head down the 101 you can hit some great wineries in Santa Lucia and Paso!

13. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How many hours of driving does the trip take?

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Somewhere between Calgary-to-Saskatoon and Saskatoon-to-Winnipeg time. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.