1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving From LA

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by MChuck, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sounds about standard.

2. map

map Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done this drive several times. I typically go on Sunday and comeback on Friday. I leave before 7 am going to Vegas, enjoy a nice leisurely breakfast in Victorville, take a short break in Primm, get to my destination before check-in time (they usually give me a room right away). Coming back, leave LV around 10 am. I've never encountered any major traffic issues.

3. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have driven to Vegas from LA ever since tumbleweeds used to be wind blown down the Strip. Early AM on Sunday, early afternoon on Friday for me.

However, since it's 1pm on Friday you're leaving LA, i suggest a few things. Fill up the tank before you leave LA/Pasadena, do not stop at Barstow or Baker. The gas prices at the desert are higher. Also, eat before you leave LA and/or bring snacks with you with water.
    The reason is the timing. You're leaving LA to Vegas and you need to stay ahead of the weekend traffic to Vegas before it gets really heavy in mid/late afternoon (many people are leaving work on Friday then head off to Vegas for the weekend).
    You need to get a head start at 1pm, then once you're past the Cajon Pass on the 15 north, just smooth sailing to Vegas. If you stop along the desert for gas and/or food, you run the risk of joining your fellow Vegas travellers thereby a longer drive into Vegas.

Also, be careful driving across the border. The state cops will be watching, do not do in/outs, just go with the flow of traffic. Many times i have seen drivers speeding up once they cross the border, but then i watch them in my rear view mirror pulled over by the cops.

Sunday, you need to check out and fill up the tank in Vegas as well as eat and get snacks in Vegas. Driving home to LA will be some traffic in the desert, however, once you get past the Cajon Pass and San Bernadino and start seeing the signs to LA, it won't be too bad because Sunday is not a work day.

4. kansaisupra

kansaisupra Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just made the trip back from Vegas to LA on Monday. Left around 2:30 got back around 6:30 ish and so many random slowdown with no accidents.

Stateline and some major slowdowns with no accidents, Yermo had one and Barstow and Antelope Valley. Just random slowdowns and we saw no accidents on construction. I made this exact trip 2 weeks ago and it was smooth sailing all the way.

5. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The area between the Antelope Valley to Yermo gets backed up because the lanes go from 3 lanes (AV) down to 2 lanes (past AV), up to 5 lanes (Barstow), back down to 2 lanes (Yermo).
    You get that bottle neck effect when you get x amount of cars trying to squeeze into 2 lanes at 80-90 mph.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.