1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving From LA

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by MChuck, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MChuck

MChuck Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Vegas obsession has taken a 10 year break due to family and kids, and I haven't made the drive in quite a long time.

Other than the usual don't drive late on a Friday or late on a Sunday, is there anything to be aware of on the long trip through the desert? We'll be leaving by 1:00 on a Friday and leaving LV before noon Sunday.

Any construction? Particular areas of CHP crackdowns? Any other driving tips?

Thanks!

2. kansaisupra

kansaisupra Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where in LA are you leaving from?

1pm on Friday might not be the best decision in terms of traffic and Sunday at noon is really the worst time. Honestly, if your schedule allows it, I’d stay till Monday and leave then. Or I’d stay Saturday till Monday instead.

Say your in central LA, this normal 4 to 4.5 hour drive without traffic can easily become 7 to 8 hours.

There is a chp station close to state line so I’d be careful speeding there. I drove this trip a few weeks ago and didn’t see any major construction. There is minor construction near the strip.

I always find it funny that people speed like crazy to drive to Vegas but on the way back the traffic speed seems a lot slower

3. MChuck

MChuck Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Leaving from the Pasadena area, so other than the 210 we shouldn't hit too much traffic. The 210 at 1:00 won't be too bad. Unfortunately our travel times are pretty set, but we'll definitely be leaving LV before noon.

Thanks for the response!

4. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Someday I really want to make this drive. I've actually thought about flying to LAX instead and renting a car, but then it's less time in Vegas. But this is on my to do someday list.

So nothing at all to add to the OP, but know I'm jealous at least :)

5. Goudy

Goudy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Might be a silly question but why shouldn’t you do the drive late? I thought about driving from LA to Vegas last September when we went to LA for the Interpol concert but decided to go to Harrahs Southern California instead.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd get out well before noon. It's not like the "good old days" when you could chill for a while in Vegas. Even with the improvements to the 15, it gets seriously jacked up there now. Or if you truly mean leave late on Sunday, hang around until 8 or 9p.

7. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Think ive posted on this before. But always happy for advice to pass to the girls. They are doing a day trip on a Tuesday.Currently looks like Norfolk Beach Pier. Think the plan is to leave Vegas 7 am hoping morning rush hour has cleared in LA. Not sure in return time. Always appreciate any help.

8. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Comps on my account, or blood on my knife.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Leaving Friday TO Vegas and Sunday FROM vegas;
    No matter WHAT you’ll hit shitty traffic.
    We come down from NorCal and as soon as we cut onto the 15 in Barstow it’s dogshit, same coming home..dogshit until we get OFF the 15 in Barstow...
    So, just grin and bare it.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Native Californian hear and I have never heard of a Norfolk Beach Pier.

10. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry Newport Beach

11. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    During all my years in SoCal I only drove to Vegas twice. Both times I said never again...it’s a miserable drive and it takes much longer than people who like to drive say it does. Fly from Burbank or Ontario if you’re in Pasadena.

If you must drive, do it in the middle of the night.

12. Slidey1

Slidey1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you’re on the 210 and can get past Glen Helen area by 145-2ish you may have a shot at not having any traffic issues getting there in a decent amount of time. Coming home I’d leave Vegas no later than 11 to avoid adding 2-3 hours to your trip home. I’ve made this drive probably 40x and certain timeframes just don’t work. Leaving Vegas after noon to come home to LA is one constant that’s a bad idea.

13. RTD122418

RTD122418 Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems like driving an automobile from palm springs to vegas is the only way to go, unless you can afford the high priced flights. Same thing from LA I suppose?

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ONT isn't far away. There are gobs of flights from all over "LA" to Vegas. But it's a cool drive from the low desert to Vegas.

15. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seconded flying into ONTARIO over LAX. You're still making the drive but avoid LAX (yuck) and all the central LA traffic. Of course if you leave on a friday night you could in for a looong ride up there.

16. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jet Blue

17. Coyot247

Coyot247 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drove up to Vegas from close to Ontario
    Made it in less than 3 hours.. just like I do every time. The ONLY time you have to worry about traffic is between about 4-6 pm and once you get to Victorville it’s done. I have lived where I live for 20 years and driven to Vegas at least 50 times. Believe me and listen to me.. outside of accidents etc, you are fine going TO Vegas as long as it’s not 4-6.. and even then it’s a 30 min delay or so. Coming from Vegas.. just done leave on Sunday from 10am to about 5pm and you’re fine...

18. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ive made the drive from Pasadena to Vegas 5x a year the past 8 years.

Making the assumption you do leave at 1 p.m., Pasadena 210 to 15 will take you 1 hour with stop and go traffic. 15 to barstow will take you 1:15 min so you should be there by 315-330ish.

I use barstow as my pit stop at the original Del taco where the owner still works and cleans tables. From there, Barstow to vegas is almost exactly 2:15 minutes so expect to be in vegas around 5:45-6 p.m. calculating traffic and stops.

If you're feeling adventurous, go 12 more miles past yermo and check out Eddies World which just opened. Lots of choices inside.

Dont get gas in Barstow or Baker as prices are much higher.

My suggestion is always go speed of traffic no matter if 85+ and stay in the middle or near the pack to not stand out. You can conceivably drive 85 the entire desert and feel like you're causing traffic for going too slow.

Only significant new change is you get to see the Ivanpah Solar Mirrors out in the desert to the left right before you get to the state line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    • If you're leaving LA on Friday, you should either leave by 11:00 AM, or after 7:00 PM, in my opinion. I suppose you do have your reasons for leaving at 1:00 PM, but you should at least make sure to gas up before leaving.
    • When leaving Vegas, typical hotel checkout time is 11:00 AM, so leave before then if you want to beat the crowd coming back, lest you add a few more hours to your drive.
    • The Tanger Outlets area in Barstow, off the Lenwood Road exit, is my favorite pit stop.
    • The Terrible Herbst gas station by the Palms has pretty decent gas prices. You can get there by taking the Flamingo Road exit and making a left. The gas station will be on your right, right before the intersection of Flamingo Road and Arville Street.
    • Las Vegas now charges parking fees for most hotels on the strip, if you didn't already get the memo.
    • If you're going to stop at Baker when coming back from Vegas, ignore the solid white line and merge over to the rightmost lane, or you will miss the first exit.

20. MChuck

MChuck Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A post script on the weekend drive to LV.

We left the Pasadena area at 12:30 (could not leave any earlier) and the drive to DT was 5:45. Arrived at 6:15. Random backups at the Cajon Pass, and several other places where traffic would reduce to stop and go for 20 minutes at a time, and then get back up to speed. Never saw any reason for the slow downs.

Coming back we hit the road at 10:30. Smooth sailing until State Line, where we had 20 minutes of stop and go. There were a few other places where, for no apparent reason, traffic slowed to stop and go. Arrived home at 4:00, 5 1/2 hours...

A pretty brutal couple of drives. The next time I make the drive I will try to avoid Friday afternoon entirely, and will leave even earlier on Sunday. Or better yet, avoid Friday and Sunday entirely.

Thanks for all the input!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.