1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Drinking downtown with the bars closed

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by bman77, Jul 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have, at Sams Town, and the response has always been that they will be around. Of course this has been in the Penny Way section and not the hoity-toity room.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was YOU!!!????:eek: :confused: o_O :beer: :poke:

Final trip of 2021 —- ho-ho-ho
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have one and it is awesome. I got a defect though. It leaks (or pours!) cold water after the ice has melted. Made my ass look like I had issues going on!

But on the days it is not defective, they are extremely efficient. I was planning on bringing one for July's trip. I got mine off Amazon.

4. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same - I press the service button. I do give it time (about 20-30 minutes) before I do that.

5. Unimik1

Unimik1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any chance anyone has some insight into when bars are possibly reopening? I keep hearing different things. I was there last month and as a bar VP player, not sure I will return until they are opened. Thanks all and cheers!

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Originally the order was you had to meet two of three criteria in your county to be considered for bar opening.

The latest I have heard is that this next week, the governor will be issuing some sort of new order where bars may be evaluated individually, instead of by county, as to their compliance with masks and distancing. It's possible we could have some bars opening soon, but we won't know until the announcement later this week.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sounds like a major job. I could see a lot of problems with it. Perhaps the manager/owner having friends within the state or some side cash. Not only that, but there has to be what, hundreds of bars in Clark alone? How are they going to hire enough manpower to monitor all of them on an individual case? Seems like a lot of trouble. It IS more fair that way if a bar has been doing all the right things such as some bar top bars.

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. I totally understand that bars that were doing everything required are not happy they had to close and the blanket rollback doesn't seem fair, but for the reasons you said, I have no idea how else they will do it.

All I know is the little bits that Sisolak said last week. I'm watching this week for something more concrete.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AD PSA
    From my last trip, 7/28-8/1,
    I'd highly advise leaving your room with a cold one, a mini, some water, really anything you'd like to sip on.

Between walking to wherever you are going in 111 heat, finding a spot, getting a waitresses attention, then having her deliver it, you're realistically looking at an hour, IMHE.

Its huge +EV on your state of mind.

At certain places, once you find one and tip $3-5, she should come around often enough.

For that period we were there (note, off peak, only friday and we left saturday, your results, I Imagine would be worse on a weekend)

From best to worse downtown I''d go Cal (ghost town empty)>Plaza (had one waitress, but she was hustling),> Freemont > GG.

D and 4Q, we didn't stay long there, so not qualified to have an opinion. might have spent some time in 4Q but don't remember getting many drinks.

We bought two tall Kirins at ABC to take to Cal, and I drank them both between GG and Plaza. Also stock your fridge, it's too much work to go down to the floor just for a drink w. the bars closed.

Even Cosmo was pretty bad, also I couldn't get a Vieux Carre to a machine because bars were shut,

after a bad experience being parched while waiting on a stuck ticket,
    next time out I had a beer from the store and a Hen mini in my pocket. It understandably took forever at Bubble craps, barely made it, when she finally showed, I think a 5 got her coming back around.

Also it was so bad, rolled out with a mini flask of Crown Apple, but then, if I can get a cup of Ice, then I probably got a waitress bringing me drinks.
    This happened somewhere.. and the flask, as reviews warned, leaked in Ps purse.. there's a better model, but I couldn't spring $40 for it, (I might now) I think this one ($10) would work if kept upright, say, in a pocket..

Be prepared, safety first!
    or,

"No diggity, I gotta bag it up"
    CalVidVegasOMG 452.JPG

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It might be tough for everyone else to get a drink after I get there tomorrow, so bottoms up while y'all can.

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. Kellywest

Kellywest Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just made plans to be there this weekend. Hope the Gov is opening soon. Yes my room will be stocked.

12. jsunsports

jsunsports Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are booked New years downtown but if the bars are still closed we will just cancel.

13. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn't let that make me cancel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Depdawg227

Depdawg227 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  15. eliza

eliza VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me too! I'm (hopefully) headed to Vegas in a week. I've held off making hotel reservations waiting to see if bars are going to reopen - some places I really love primarily for the bartop VP.

16. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Zero bartop VP.any place I was a few weeks back.

17. david giusti

david giusti Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am thinking of getting a cooler backpack and a bladder for a camelback. I can put ice, and have drinks on ice while keeping the bladder cool. I can then drink from the bladder while keeping my mask on.

• Wow! Wow! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Sfgiants13

Sfgiants13 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was hoping that for this weekend but now it's minimum 2 weeks out. Too bad.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Here2Learn

Here2Learn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same but it is what it is now. I will say Downtown Cocktail Room is open and its one of my favorite bars downtown. To sit down and drink, you just have to buy a bratwurst for 5 bucks that you're not required to eat.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Sfgiants13

Sfgiants13 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be on strip this weekend. Caesars charges something like $23 for a cheese plate and you're required to buy food there as well at their open bars. That makes it $40+ per drink which is insane.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.