1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dozens of flights canceled due to extreme heat

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by jr7110, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  2. bwatson23

bwatson23 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like American Airlines is the main one canceling.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand those regional-jets just don't get the lift in such extreme heat. Even if it's borderline, I think I'd pass... lotta pressure on carriers to get people where they need to be.

4. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

I canceled my trip to Vegas in lieu of this...no point in risking an inconvenience. On the comment of American Airlines, they have the oldest fleet (that I've been on) when it comes to servicing Vegas, so it doesn't surprise me that they're grounded.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  5. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AA has USAir's old hub in Phoenix, that's not really a surprise

6. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is not right. Their weakest points on domestic flights are MD-80s, which are heavily based out of Dallas for short haul flights. IIRC, they don't fly any of these to LAS anymore, because they don't base them at PHX or LAX. I do think they fly some old Airbuses from PHX to LAS, but that flight is so short it's hard for me to care.

AA varies flight by flight, but their fleet is pretty young overall relative to the average domestic carriers - your average Delta flight is a lot older than your average American flight. USAir and its successor, American, have bought a ton of new planes. You can still get stuck on some of it depending upon the route but LAS is fine on AA in my many experiences.

if you really want to know, just go look up your AA flight when you book it or check something like flight aware. They are flying tons of newer 737s and midsize Airbuses on most of their longer haul routes. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/avoid-americans-oldest-planes/ this sort of thing is helpful - you really do have to look flight by flight on the legacy carriers.

Allegiant almost certainly is the oldest fleet out of McCarran for a domestic carrier (assuming you are on one of their MD-80s).

7. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

That's why I love this board...I'll revise my post. Thanks a ton for the info!

8. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I would never cancel a trip to Vegas because of this, but I would definitely monitor the situation to be safe. If there is a cancellation on their end, the airline would have to rebook you at no charge.

9. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fair warning to people on this board: That's a lot easier for big carriers like Southwest and American to do than a small low cost carrier who may only fly to your city twice a week. Generally, Allegiant, Spirit, etc. are not going to pay to rebook you on a United flight. In many cases, they will give you your money back and tell you good luck getting home.

10. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AA used to have some old planes, no doubt, especially if you were in the "wrong" spot from one of their legacy carriers (e.g. TWA flew MD-80s like crazy out of STL, America West flew tons of Airbuses out of Phoenix that are now long in the tooth) but the post-bankruptcy plan to refresh their fleet really helped them. They are 4-5 years in now.

Delta is the ancient one among the US big carriers. They believe old planes are underpriced and reasonable to maintain, especially in a world of cheap gas. They buy really old planes and give them a once over to make them seem new - new seat layouts, add wifi, etc. For example, when Southwest ate up AirTran, Delta took a bunch of old 717s from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.