1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown Steakhouse preference

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Hockeylade, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Hockeylade

Hockeylade Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it is zip sauce. It's a big thing in Detroit, but I never got into it during my 6 year stint there.

NHL Betting weekend and a Belated Birthday Bender
  2. Hockeylade

Hockeylade Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd never heard of Triple George before. From the photos it reminds me a bit of one my favorite midwest places: Murray's in Minneapolis.

I think we will give Oscar's a whirl. I mean a several rounds of cocktails, shellfish, meat, maybe a veg.... I am probably waaaaay over thinking this

NHL Betting weekend and a Belated Birthday Bender
  3. duceiswild

duceiswild Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've been staying downtown on our January guys trip for several years, and make it a point to try at least different steakhouse every year and I think have been to all of the big ones at least once.

In general, I haven't had a bad cut of meat at any of them, so I don't think you can go wrong. Overall food quality I would give a nod to Andiamo and Vic & Anthony over the others. V&A was especially a good value when they had their "secret" prix fix 3 course menu, not sure if this made a comeback after Covid.

Hugo's is good, but maybe better with a SO than a group of guys. The space is pretty intimate. But good food.

Binion's is a good view, but I remember the sides being unremarkable.

Oscars is an interesting space. It is in the dome, so it feels really big. I wanted to like the food there but we haven't rushed back.

Triple George had a really good happy hour pre-Covid, can't speak to what it is now. Never had steak there, but the food and drinks at happy hour were a great deal.

4. tom.mckenzie

tom.mckenzie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have only been to Hugo's, Redwood, and Vic and Anthony's, so I am hardly an expert. But to me the answer is "it depends". If you are taking a date and really want a great atmosphere, it's hard to beat Hugo's. The ribeye is terrific. I also really like the salmon. They don't list "blackened" as a preparation option, but I have never had a problem getting them to blacken it for me. Have also had the scallops, which were really good. And I love the salad cart and the chocolate covered strawberry.

When V&A had the prix fixe special, it was tough to beat. Really good filet and great sides. And the lobster bisque is out of this world. But I don't see that coming back for awhile. And I only drink beer and their beer selection sucks. The best I could do was a Sculpin in a bottle. For 11 bucks.

For the money, Redwood is tough to beat. Not as much now that they don't have the $22 porterhouse special, but it's still very good and a great value.

Andiamo's is on the list to try, but one of the problem with having lots of 4Q comp dollars is that it's tough to make myself pay to eat somewhere else.

REALLY miss The Flame.

I probably haven't helped you much. Of the three I listed, I have eaten at Hugo's much more often than the others. The only meal I had there that I didn't like was the Chilean Sea Bass. And that was because I really didn't like the texture.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  5. Sparky4

Sparky4 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate at Vic and Anthony’s in January with the girls from work. Our meal was excellent. Several of us had filets, one had a big salad and made the crab cakes her entree. Great wine too. Service was very food as well. It’s nice that it’s a Landry’s restaurant so we could get points on our card.

6. philvie

philvie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can only speak for Andiamos which was delicious, also shared the tomahawk with my wife, includes 3 sides, with a bottle of wine it was $200 out the door, as far as Oscar's, tell your waiter "sayhitomatthew" and get a free meatball appetizer, it's a promotion for a youtuber who frequents the place

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dr Nostron

Dr Nostron High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tomahawk sounds like the winner!! Thanks

8. B T

B T Engineer, gambler, drinker. Order varies in Vegas.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second Hugo's for the old school feel.

9. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which would be cool for a wedding party of 10?

10. Downtowner

Downtowner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a group of guys Andiamos is tough to beat with the huge tomahawks. I personally only get the OSSO BUCCO there and highly recommend. A big plus is whatever Italian wine i order is from the waiter's hometown. Great antpastis.

Vic and Anthony's has a little better ambiance (darker) and has had Kobe and wagyu specials. They have caviar, foie gras etc. Giant Australian lobster tails. .

Both are expensive if no comp. Triple George And Redwood are very good and a magnitude less costly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Don the Dentist

Don the Dentist LV resident

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If and when the Binions Steakhouse reopens, you can use your 4Q comps there. Just ask the 4Q host for a "hard comp" for a specific dollar amount. You cannot put any unused dollars back onto your 4Q account, so check out the menu ahead of time to get a good idea of how much you'll be spending.

And if you have the LVA coupon book, it has a 25% off coupon, which includes alcohol. I have used the coupon, the hard comp from the 4Q and Binion comp dollars all for the same meal. Not a problem.

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will be trying for the first time a pre wedding dinner at Andiamo for 6 and a post wedding dinner at Oscars for 10.

13. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Andiamo last night
    Excellent except for that stuff they give you to put on your bread
    No thanks

14. mwig

mwig High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It might come across as low class but I ask for butter and they never act like it's strange. My wife likes the olive pasty stuff so it works out well.

15. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I ate the bread then he’ll yes I’m asking for butter
    Others seem to like the stuff

16. TSurgeon

TSurgeon Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Binions....steak has never been as good as the 1st time I went there (1st time late 90's )
    Hugo's Cellar...Love it and enjoy the presentation
    Vic & Anthonys...1st time to eat there was not long after it opened, worst Vegas meal I ever had, many years later my brother drug me back bragging how great it is.....1 of the best steaks I have had downtown, what an improvement
    Andiamos....dam good!
    Triple George....loved it

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just ate at the new place in GN, saltgrass. Pretty good and not real pricey.

18. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola El Jefe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a steakhouse per se, but the NY Strips at Triple George are incredible. I’ve had some very tasty steaks sitting at the bar having a late lunch/early dinner.

:feedme::feedme::feedme:

Tower Suites for Two Weeks!!
  19. Barolo

Barolo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oscar’s was meh to me, the dining room @ night is the only reason to eat there. Vic n Anthonys prolly the better dining choice.

I also agree on Triple George, it is worth a look in my opinion. It seems to fly under the radar DT.

20. prodaddy

prodaddy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    V/A over Oscars - no question