1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown Race Books

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by nfcwestbest, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nfcwestbest

nfcwestbest Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Staying downtown for first time in May. I'm mainly a Horse Race bettor. Just wondering which book downtown you recommend? Also I'm interested in drinks service what's the minimum bet to get a drink ticket on Horse Racing?

2. Stinkfinger

Stinkfinger Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious as well. California has buckets of beer for $15 I think but unsure of requirements for comp drinks at downtown racebooks downtown for the ponies.

3. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My guess would be Plaza.
    Nugget is nice but small.
    I havent seen what they did at California
    My days in the racebook are spent off-strip

4. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fremont gives beer vouchers. Not sure how much or how many. Cal doesn't unless it changed.

5. nfcwestbest

nfcwestbest Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks guys, I have played Gold Coast many times they used to be $6 for a drink ticket but i read somewhere it went to $10 I imagine Fremont might be the same then seeing as its a boyd property.
    Last trip I was at Bally's they gave out drink tickets for $10 bets also. The Mirage was $20
    I'm cheaping out now to avoid resort fees. No more strip. So any Downtown tips on where to pick up a beer for the least amount of money is appreciated.

6. Horseplayer1

Horseplayer1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't know about downtown but the Wynn is minimum $10 bet, which is reasonable considering what a nice sports book it is for horseplayers. Tipping the teller can get you extra coupons too, on occasion....

7. wisconsin terp

wisconsin terp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plaza is by far the best place to bet horses downtown. Nice individual carols with your own screen and 8 or so large screens in front of you with different tracks. And when it is busy they dedicate a window to horse bettors. Drink tickets seem to be for every $20 or so you bet on the races and a tip to a teller goes a long way. Bar is attached to the book so fairly easy to get drinks as well. My second choice would be Fremont as drink tix as ridiculously easy. setup is not as good but adequate. not a fan of the nugget.

8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many of the regulars (old timers) go to the El Cortez to sit and watch the ponies. It has that "old time" look, the type you would have expected to see 30 years ago (but is still around, lol).

The Plaza has the nicest digs (sports book) downtown IMHO.

9. jefftune

jefftune Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed at the El Cortez last May and the race book there was fine. Just ask the mutual teller for a drink ticket when you make a bet - no problem. I did check out the Plaza race book which is nice and big. I have a Vegas trip booked for Derby week - staying at the El Cortez again. However, I fractured my pelvis in a fall a few weeks back and I'm still recovering. May have to cancel ☹️.

10. nfcwestbest

nfcwestbest Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in Vegas now.
    The plaza is a nice race and sports book. It's a William Hill. To get a drink ticket you need to spend $20 or more on one race.

The Fremont it's $12 per race or $40 on sports. The personal TVs are broken the two I tried wouldn't change channel. So left in a hurry.

The easy winner for racebook goes to El Cortez. To get a drink ticket u have bet $25 but not necessarily on one race. I did 12-13 $2 horse bets and got a drink. There's no official count if u ask before u get to $25 and keep it reasonable u will get drinks.

Waitress service at the slot machines was also good in El Cortez. Just tip a buck and your good.

Not downtown... Bally's is now $20 for a drink ticket on Horses...no bending the rules there.... no way no how were they budging on that rule.

11. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try out the new sports book at the Cal and get back to us. Not sure what you need to gamble to get the drink tickets.

12. nfcwestbest

nfcwestbest Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've left downtown now ....Cal is a Boyd property so probably same rules as Fremont.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.