1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown Gym?

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by tnkc, Jun 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tnkc

tnkc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello!

I've been on a good streak of exercising but I'm facing two trips back to back that will challenge this a bit. Yes, I'd rather not work out while on vacation according to the devil on one shoulder, but the angel on the other wants me to explore options.

Any good gyms with free weights available near Fremont Street? I'm staying at the El Cortez. I've noticed that there is a 24 Hour Fitness not too far away and wondered if a day pass is possible there. Alternatively, if possible, a fitness center at another hotel would work but I won't be a guest there. I don't know of any with free weights, though. I actually did use the Nugget's spa, but that was about 15 years ago and I don't even recall what they had.

Thanks!

2. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The El Cortez Cabana Suites has a fitness room but I don't think there are many free weights. Hopefully someone who stays at the Cabana Suites can confirm or give us current information on the fitness room. I used it many years ago but I don't remember if there were free weights (I mostly used the exercise machines).

The Plaza has a fitness room that consists of a universal machine in addition to some free weights. As with the Cabana Suites they also have some elliptical, treadmill and step machines. I used this room many years ago so not sure what else they have or removed.

The California Hotel also has a new fitness room consisting of some free weights in addition to the step, elliptical and treadmill. It is located right across the entrance to the pool. I used it when I was there in April so not sure what else they picked up. They only recently opened the room before I arrived. I think they had the best selection of free weights (dumbbells).

Unfortunately I don't think non hotel guests can use the facilities at the Plaza or the Cal but best to ask. Plus if you are a gambler and put in enough play maybe a host or someone can allow you access. If you are staying at MSS or the Fremont you also may be able to use the facilities at the Cal. At the El Cortez you may have to stay at the Cabana suites to use the fitness room, you may have to check with the El Cortez to see if you can get into their room if you aren't staying in the Cabana Suites.

Best to check with 24 hr fitness to see if they allow day passes. Cannot guarantee that while they may allow a day pass at another location they would also allow it in vegas.

3. Knucklehead69

Knucklehead69 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know that you can download and print a free 7 day pass on 24 hour fitness website. As said, weather it's valid in Vegas is another story.

4. tnkc

tnkc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! I've peeked into the Cabana Suites fitness room and I seem to recall it was pretty limited. Looking like my best bet is 24 Hour Fitness; just wondering if a day pass is possible.

...or just drink and eat too much and worry about it later.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This gets my vote!!

I have always had good intentions of working out while in Vegas but it just doesn't seem to, um, work out. :D
    Good Luck in your efforts though!!

Maybe not this year. Looking forward to 2021!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. tom.mckenzie

tom.mckenzie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The fitness center at the El Cortez does not have free weights. It has a really odd universal machine and a few cardio machines. If I have a car, I'll sometimes go to one of the Planet Fitness outlets in Vegas, but usually, I just get up early and run before it gets hot and/or crowded on Fremont Street.

7. rob889

rob889 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can actually do quite a bit in your room with your body weight and some resistance bands. Another option is to bang out 1800 hands an hour on a video poker machine :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. ncpokeresq

ncpokeresq Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While nowhere near downtown, for any of you who are 1) members of your local YMCA and 2) have a car, the Vegas Y across from the Meadows Mall on Meadows Lane allows visitors a free ten day pass. It is about 5 miles, depending on which route you take.

10. mcander

mcander Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used the small workout room at the Cabana Suites several times. It does have an universal machine and cardio machines
    for an adequate workout. If you use your imagination to get your proper workout fix, it is a lot better than nothing. There is rarely
    anyone else in there. My days of squatting 405lbs have long passed, but the obsession remains. It will beat hopping in a
    car and trying for a day pass and dealing with a hard sell at the front desk. You can get your workout in, consume large quantities
    of alcohol, and maybe take a puff or two of legal weed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.