1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Don’t want turkeys, but trying to eat : AD DT

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by AyDee, Nov 25, 2020.

1. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Forgot the deets in the title, it was Tuesday, 11/24-Friday 11/27 + Sat 11/28

"Everybody gotta eat, that's why we tryin' to tip like ballers"

The plan was Cal two nights, overbooked an extra night as we do for no hassle late as you want late checkout, then 1 night South Point..
    Ended up adding a last minute extra SP night due to lack of sleep and urge to drive...

Brief notes:

Traffic seemed heavier than usual driving in from LA.

6 pm : Showed at a near empty MSC @ Cal: was an hour later for next reservation, a waitress was complaining to hostess that they should seat - looked like a lot of late/no shows.

Did to go club sandwich, chili (for the fries) and salad and ate in the room.

FP conversion goes terrible.
    Hit GG, Circa, & Plaza.

:eek:Oh also ABC because cal gift shop closes shop weekdays now:
    [​IMG]
    I dare someone to see what sundries are available @ front desk.. Sure they probably have toothbrushes, but what about when you need a six-pack and some chips-not just late at night but at any damn time on property from M-W. NO :thumbsdown:, bad Cal. At SP we repeatedly tell each other how great and comforting it is that the store is 24/7 so you can grab whatever you need, whenever.

On the plus side the lonely bartender at the sports bar tells me they’re open 24 hrs.

Circa is very empty when we check it out. All the table limits I saw seemed to be $15. I hate $15 min craps. Mostly do a walkabout to reconnoiter the layout. Hit it again to play the next day. and play some $15 min craps with a super light buyin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Five hundy by midnight podcast just did an exhaustive review of Circa btw,
    we listened to it on the way in, so we weren't coming in blind.

Restaurants were pretty empty, asked at the lethai guys place about reservations, they said if it’s empty, they’ll let you make one on the spot, but seating looked short. Forgot if they said 7/15 table capacity.
    [​IMG]

Bite it some more on VP, then get on a good near double up two shooter roll at Plaza to get some of the $$ back. I was one of them.

Couldn’t catch a 4oak for the life of me, break the cold streak finally on a desperate push into 50 cent and call it a night.

[​IMG]

Did some bubble craps because :eek: tables were closed before midnight:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  2. AyDee

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]
    Not eating fancy.

This was a snack,
    And I’ll admit it, we ate cheeseburgers & fries at MacDees @ Plaza.
    It was late, the other option was subway, everything was closed at the Cal.

Eating the last of the club sandwich now. The dining struggle is real.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. AyDee

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, :eek: no young at heart At DT boyd properties btw, non downtown yes, according to the booth.

:eek:And I’m kinda sorta pretty sure they pulled wifi from comped stay. Something bout pay them $10 per device or the resort fee. It was unstable and always dropping out for us anyways.

If they are trying to drive the last remaining loyal customers away, so they can shut the place down, they couldn't be doing it any better, (JHMO.)

Don't get me wrong though, it will still continue to be our DT home base at the moment though, the ghost town emptiness is actually a + in this twisted year. And hey, there's a bonus mailer for decent bonus BC - which really made me think they read some feedback about next years offers.

On the positive side, they did give us two T-shirts.
    There was also a free pumpkin pie deal we didn't bother with.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. AyDee

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The japanese brewing origin mystery deepens:

I think it’s an improvement over what Molson was doing.

[​IMG]

• Wow! Wow! x 5
  5. carolineno

carolineno Balcony Brat

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those shirts are cool!

I don’t follow sports much but even I will spend some time in that sports book.

Stay safe and win!

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AyDee

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The emptiness everywhere we hit felt pretty safe.

We’ll brave center DT tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Necrochaos

Necrochaos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah weird huh? I found one of these in my town in Michigan the other night. Nothing Japanese about it except for the name.

When were you at Circa? I agree $15 craps are the worst. A few months ago GG was $15 during the day too, which was disappointing.

Glad you had a good roll at the Plaza.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AyDee

Trips to Las Vegas:
    (live report: -Me, about to skedaddle away from bubble craps because when the slot techs are doing the cash box switch is usually a sign it’s time to go to bed.
    Night before same when the guy comes out w the disinfecting fogger.)
    (added: saw it every night. those my hours)

Bar update:

V at GG chose to stay there over circa. Good on her.
    Drink tIcket experiment failed miserably and unlikely to return.
    Bodes well for Circa. Is she the best bartender or what?
    Our other buddy Spider that was always there hopped to Circa.
    Didn't see him there but didn't hit the bar.

These bartenders and waitresses that remember us (gg/4q/cal/ maybe soon circa ) are trying to drop me with the heavy Hennessy pour. Stayed standing and appreciated it.

Halfway into one at 4Q, started chucking a die too tall through the plexi gap directly across the table, guess I bounced one off the edge once then thought it was a backboard. Lol.

I stopped insisting on same dice if it takes more than a few seconds to get, and it really didn’t matter.

Exhibit 1 : Cal
    [​IMG]

Exhibit 4: SP (note blended to order vs. slushy machine pina colada:))
    plan to drink a few of those by the pool next summer..

NoTurkeysVegas 122.JPG

BIG OG PULL 1015.jpg
    (parental advisory for explicit lyrics)

• Like Like x 4
  9. AyDee

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 2: Wed 11/25

I was at circa a few hours ago.

Shockingly, up 3/3 on severely understaked craps buyins @ 3 spots.
    plaza, 4q: $10 min tables, $15 at circa.

I’m so used to 2x odds places I sometimes forget to press odds.
    $30 a number is heavy enough with a $200 or less buy in.

3/Circa

Doubled a 220 buyin at a $15 min table, taking usually 1x odds and creeping them up - this one guy had two incredibly hot rolls.

(If you believe in setting juju, he was setting parallel sixes up top with fives facing front IIRC). Dealers might have caught a hundy from Lil ole me, only guy making dealer bets I saw.

Hit at least two hard ways I called out as he threw it, prob two+ hop bets I made, and basically owned for maybe an hour in two rolls.

[​IMG]

I’m just always amazed when I don’t get dusted in <10 min in these situations.

Again my PITA bet of “all the hards, working, dealers choice, 3 big red, c/e”Slowed payouts and flow but the guy threw enough midnights, 7s, and hards on come out to make it worth it. I told the boxlady sorry, but it’s also a dealer test. Every table there’s usually one that can handle it, stick usually can’t. The payouts are a bitch kind of. They always remember to keep dealer bets up though.

2/4Q:
    Slid in between two don’t bettors, was a space on the other side they suggested I might prefer to be at, but I know how this goes. I gave them fair warning-repeatedly , then shot out 4s, 10s, and everything in between. The guy that hedged by placing 6/8s was still standing when I left. The other guy laying odds was not. His last words, IIRC after getting wiped and watching me shoot 10 more minutes: “you warned us and I respect that”. All good natured fun and jokes the whole time. How it should be.

The heavier someone is donting, & laying , the more confident I am my tiny bets will Win.

That’s just how it be sometimes.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. AyDee

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just like the main floor (all fixed at $15 min tables, expect one $25 BJ table,),
    Circa high limit tables were all $100 min.

High limit slots were actually rather high. All kinds of freaky VP poker variations at entrance, most multiplay.

High limit unisex bathroom wasn’t as nice as Cosmo (IMO)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. AyDee

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess bye, today day:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. AyDee

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pardon the dirty windows, this is DT,
    [​IMG]
    you know what I miss the most post shutdown?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  13. AyDee

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 2

after hitting DTG, D, 4Q, Fremont, we went to Circa sandwich place Saginaw to eat(24/7, a lot of other spots closed at 11 pm). Walked right in, saw only 2 other seated parties in there.

Slots were pretty empty. Tables at 2nd floor were closed, at 1st floor (all $15 min) tables were hopping.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Split chicken soup, the highly 5 hundy rated turkey sandwich, old pickle (you get choice of old/young) was mad inedible salty (get the young), hot fresh made potato chips were off the chain.

Pics in a few.
    Might be the fanciest thing we eat this trip,
    We’ll see how we manage tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 1
  14. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great stuff so far. Hope the luck continues...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jer

Jer I kinda did a thing...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always look forward to your updates! I’m wondering how packed the Circa half of a continent sports book is going to be on Sundays moving forward? Plan is to hang there on the 13th during the afternoon games.

Time to Avenge The Cosmo Beating!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Circa was packed when I was there, but of course this was opening week. The dining thing sounds frustrating at best. I don't eat at fancy places so I normally just go to the nearest coffee shop type place when I am hungry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Vegas is Fabulous When You Degen Responsibly ;)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best of luck on gambol and procuring food - at least the craps and Saginaw’s seem to be turning out pretty good :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AyDee

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 3 :
    (food)
    Btw this was our version of thanksgiving dinner: chicken wings were awesome, far beyond what we expected.
    We've been staying at the Cal so much, we forgot how wonderful room service is,
    Maybe it's just us but food eaten in your PJs just tastes better.
    The wonderfullness is squared in this moment in time, of course it should be available 24/7!
    [​IMG]
    Look at them faaancy doilies! As DT grinders we probably found 20 tiny things about the SP room that just seemed super classy, or at least useful touches.
    We're working on the list, but it's all kind of compared to Cal, but the little things add up.

(possible pro con comparison rant coming later- don't want to rustle anyones jimmies though.)
    (teaser preview: A higher grade of TP is a significant +1)
    (and... a real ice bucket? A soap dish? . . . )

We were starting to catch on to the reservation thing, it's quite not like how it used to be, booked one an hour or so ahead of when we thought we might get hungry, set up a rendezvous time, and played until then...

The weakness we think is this just encourages people to overbook reservations, figuring if you no show, whatever.. then there are reservations holding up spots while hungry people are literally standing at the door. IDK, it is what it is, IAO.

Soooo, later, a late night breakfast: all good, especially the pancakes:
    (possibly best pancakes either of us have eaten, something about the fluffy airiness with no doughiness... so nice we got them twice, second time with blueberries, and room service again)
    [​IMG]
    I know it's all comped and such, but I'm still quite amused at the cost of a plate of bacon at high end spots.. esp with a plating charge and added gratuity...

:peace::thumbsup: More power to em though- Everybody gotta eat.

NoTurkeysVegas 036P.JPG

Stayed up all night and tacked an extra night on, prob will fill in stuff after trip ends...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
    • Love Love x 3
  19. rccinatl

rccinatl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Drunkard's Walk?

• Like Like x 1
  20. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas: