1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Does anyone have BPPV?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by johnvic, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a type of vertigo, the full name is Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. Last Tuesday I was in Iceland, my flight was at 5 PM. I woke early and got up to go the bathroom. Everything started spinning and I just went to lay down again. Eventually I found that if I moved slowly I could get up. I figured I was hung over even though I wasn't feeling nauseous and my head felt fine. I got my stuff together by moving slowly and packed, had breakfast and decided to take a nap. I laid down and the spinning started again. I quickly changed which side I was lying on and that helped. I went to the ER and the doctor said I have BPPV and made me do these exercises ( not really an exercise ) called the Epley maneuver, that was rough because it would bring back the feeling. She said I could fly. I was fine on the plane but just freaked out by it all. On Wednesday I was better until I did the maneuver at night and I was dealing with moving slowly to avoid the vertigo. On Thursday I saw my doctor who gave me an antihistamine and that helps but makes me sleepy. I think it's supposed to go away on it's own after another week or so. But it will probably happen again in the future. It's less scary now, in fact I had an episode at work today and I dealt with it ( I had not taken the antihistamine ).

Originally, I thought it was related to a bike crash I had a week prior to the episode, but the doctor in Iceland and my doctor think it isn't. It just happens to people. I was wearing a helmet, of course, and I'm glad I was. I saw stars for a split second and I think that if I was not wearing a helmet that I would have been far worse off.

One issue, supposedly, with doing the maneuver at home is that people do it wrong. I can see that, it's confusing. So I ordered a thing, like a guide, to help help you do it correctly, it's called dizzyfix. i thought of going to an ENT but I'm not sure if I need that, the literature says that regular doctors can diagnose it.

Any experiences with BPPV?

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :faint:

You're describing exactly what I've been dealing with for two years, johnvic!
    My doctor's been stumped. He's poked, proded, and tested me for everything else.

Thanks so much for the timely and helpful message! :D
    I'm going to read up on the Epley maneuver...

It's amazing what you can learn on VMB!!! :thumbsup:

RICHARD

The Alperts Take Polo Towers!
  3. Gmoney10

Gmoney10 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go on YouTube and search Epleys maneuver and watch the video with 2 physical therapists explaining it. Easy to follow along and if done properly should relieve the symptoms, sometimes after 1-2 treatments.

• Like Like x 1
  4. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of the confusion that I'm having is when and how often, in addition to not being sure that I'm doing it correctly. The device that I bought, Dizzy Fix, is supposed to help me do it correctly.

5. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Johnvic, I would go to a physical therapist and have them do it - they have a table that rotates. There are crystals in your inner ear that get knocked out of place, I don't think it "just happens" to people; I bet you were right about your bike crash. Anyway the maneuver puts the crystals back where they are supposed to be.

My dear late ex-husband got it after a fall. Surprising how many physicians don't think of it (or know about it?!) - his prescribed pills that made him so sleepy, and didn't help.

He was having PT for something else and the therapist knew right away what it was when we mentioned it. He was better after one treatment. Good luck!

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you change you meds recently (within the past year)? I had a vertigo problem when my Dr. changed my blood pressure medication. I was getting these bouts of vertigo about once a month. My Dr. changed my bp medication and I don't get vertigo as much as before. I had to stop swimming because the vertigo would make me nauseous.

7. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had a pfft pfft sound in my head since I went cold turkey on psych meds about 4 years ago, mostly on waking from a deep sleep.

8. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No meds other than Claritin, and that I haven't changed.

I wonder if the pills that Pea's husband took was Meclizin. That's what my doctor prescribed. It helps but make me drowsy.

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have experienced various dizziness light headed and vertigo over the years. One time the doctor was about to prescribe medicine but it was the same thing in motion sickness pills. It helped and also made me real sleepy'

Meanwhile... a specfic Utube video was mentioned. Can you copy and past the link here for folks like me?

10. Gmoney10

Gmoney10 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Watch this video and it gives a good explanation and video of how the crystal moves through the canal to eliminate your symptoms. Like others have said, get a referral to see a PT if symptoms continue after trying the exercises at home.

11. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to try the maneuver again tonight using the dizzy fix as a guide.

How do I know if a PT knows how to do the Epley maneuver? Is it something they all know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.