1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do you prefer single king or double queen when solo?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by romeocasido, Feb 9, 2019.

1. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two queens.

One for sleeping and the other for your stuff.

Skip housekeeping and switch beds for that fresh feel!

Seven Stars Signature Event
  2. Mr. Politics

Mr. Politics Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer two Queens. I like to have one to set things on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. romeocasido

romeocasido Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I see people like to use the second bed to place things like their clothes or suitcase... Do you guys not utilize the drawers and closets in the hotel?

Labor Day Weekend
    Life is Beautiful/ I Heart Radio festivals
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    King. It feels more luxurious being able to roll around in the bed (I have a full at home) or when I order room service and want to eat in bed while watching tv, there's a lot more space! There's also more room in the room with a king vs a double queen and I believe one king bed rather than 2 doubles looks more elegant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the same thought, fully recognizing that I tend to be a pretty messy person at home. LOL . In an elegant room when I'm on vacation though, I hate clutter in the main room so the last thing I'd do is have stuff sitting on a second bed.

6. Kcitsme

Kcitsme Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like two queens. If one mattress has been used more than the other, I get to choose which is more comfortable. I also like that fact that I get a lot more pillows to use.

7. notfromconcentrate

notfromconcentrate High-rolling diner. Low-rolling gambler.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't use drawers in hotels personally, and that's for two reasons...

1. Using the drawers requires actual work like folding and organizing... and then even more work when it comes time to pack it up, and take it out of the drawers/closet. I prefer to simply dump clothing and such out onto the bed when unpacking, and then have it already on the bed for packing it up (which is where I would want it to be anyway, for the purpose of laying it out).

2. The sheets on the bed get replaced every stay. The drawers don't. I don't know what has been inside of those drawers and I'd rather not find out the hard way.

This probably makes a difference... I don't use drawers at home either. I have a rotation of laundry baskets that I simply keep clean garments in, because I see no point in folding them and putting them away. Anything that needs to be presentable, I'll take out and steam and put it on a hanger. Everything else, I simply cannot be bothered.

8. notfromconcentrate

notfromconcentrate High-rolling diner. Low-rolling gambler.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When solo, if I'm given a choice between one or two beds, I'll generally opt for one, for the two primary reasons of enjoying the extra space, and not wanting to take a two-bed room out of the pool of available rooms for someone who actually needs it.

The secondary reason is that I sadly still have some real mooches in my social circle... and there have been multiple occasions where one of them has heard I'm going to Vegas and their immediate reaction was "oh, can I come and sleep in the second bed?". I know I could simply tell them I only booked a one-king room even if I booked something else. But I'm horrible at lying and I don't want that on my conscience, even though I had no obligation to even consider accommodating them in the first place.

Per my above comment, I do find the second bed helpful at times when it comes to laying out items for the sake of packing. But I've never had trouble adapting one bed for this purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  9. romeocasido

romeocasido Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the people that opt out of daily housekeeping... WHY??? It's not an extra charge... It's actually baked into the room price you're paying for... And if you're doing it for security reasons did you know that ever since the Vegas shootings security will check in your room regardless if you have the do not disturb sign up, so staff will enter your room either way. In CET it's actually more invasive because they MUST enter room to do an inspection and call the security desk from your room phone and respond with a code.

If it's for pride purposes because you really make a mess of the room and you don't want staff to see how much of a pig sty you wallow in , i'm 100% certain that a vegas housekeeper has seen everything in every possible scenario when it comes to guests rooms. You don't come close

Labor Day Weekend
    Life is Beautiful/ I Heart Radio festivals
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. lmking1224

lmking1224 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always travel with my husband, but we never mind having two queens. It's sometimes nice to have a place to put our "stuff" on, and sometimes one of us is sleeping and the other will kinda lounge on the other bed. I mean, we sleep on a queen-size bed at home, so it's plenty big enough.

But then having a bigger bed than what we have at home is sometimes nice, too, and as someone else said, sometimes there's an extra chair or the room seems a little more spacious.

We really like both about equally. Sometimes not having a preference is a good thing...I'll just book whichever is cheaper, or sometimes not having a preference means that we can get a better view or something like that.

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two beds.

One to put my stuff on as I do not have to pick up since I am alone.

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

For me I rather not have anyone come into my room. Before the shootings I would put out the DND sign and not have any housekeeping service my entire stay. Not pride or anything, I just don't feel comfortable with housekeeping coming in. Ever since the shootings I would allow housekeeping in every other day but my last trip a few weeks ago they still knocked on my door for a "welfare" check. They did not come in or look in my room when they did the check so I guess they just wanted to make sure I was alive.

I don't have the confidence that housekeeping will do a good job so I don't mind new sheets every other day. And since I go solo I don't need new towels every day, every other day is okay by me.

But when I checked in a few weeks ago I noticed that the bathroom floor had spots where a guy peed and his droppings fell on the floor. I also noticed many hairs on the floor so I know they didn't mop the floor before I checked in. As for the pee, I just put the bath mat on the floor by the toilet.

I use the drawers but I usually go out and buy stuff or go to conventions and bring stuff back. I use the second bed so I can lay them all out before I pack everything up.

13. FYMYAWF

FYMYAWF It's not a bender, it's a lifestyle.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a primarily solo traveler and I don't see any advantage to 2 queens as you're losing space, but if that's all that's available I don't mind it much. Either size bed is bigger than what I sleep on at home (full).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  14. subafrk

subafrk Longing to be sipping a Scotch at the Cromwell...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I generally get a 2 qn room for the drunk "randoms" lol. I've got a vegas local buddy that comes to hang out with me when I'm in town and I like him to have an option if he drinks a bit too much.

This worked out well recently. For the last year, I've been commuting to the bay area for work every week and the 2 qn room is cheaper than the king where I stay. I got stuck out there for a 2 week stint without going home. A friend of mine just moved a couple hours north of there so he came down for the night and we went out and did a little drinking over the weekend and he had a place to crash.

SEMA Week
  15. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight King of no media

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ask for a queen with double pillows

16. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't need it, don't want anything rearranged. I use one of those white kitchen trash bags for trash and I don't want them to remove it every time they come in, I actually hide it if I'm going to let them in while I'm out of the room, lol.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always get two beds. Gives me a place to throw things when I get back to the room really late. It can also serve as a counting table to figure out the win/loss for the day.
    More often than not it can hold the pile of change from the loss for the day.

18. FreddyDan

FreddyDan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Solo: King
    With Girlfriend: King
    With other(s): 2xQueen

I used 2xQueen in a recent solo trip because that was the only room avalaible and I didn't touch the second bed... I generally opt out of housekeeping because I don't stay long enough to make a mess (and I tip when I leave...) I don't mind the security check, they have always been polite and friendly.

Solo trip!
  19. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer not to unpack. Feels less germsy...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I kinda like a second bed because I love the firmest possible pillows. Having that second bed gives me more pillows to choose from.