1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do Vegas “Pros” Help or Hurt the Game for Low Limit, Rec Players?

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by booker, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am an older, very recreational player, but I generally don’t mind playing with regulars even if a few get under my skin.

A year ago I spent a week in Vegas playing 1/2, 1/3, and tournaments. Some of the same faces were invariably seated at a 1/2 game at Harrah’s every afternoon. At a mostly passive table, the large regular seated to my left had an air arrogance. Whenever there was a number of limpers or small bets, he would normally come in with a substantial raise from late position or from the BB, then would smirk if he raked the limps. If called, he would usually try to bet the player off his hand.

At first I tried chatting with him only to receive a, “Don’t bother me, dummy,” look and grunt. He was starting to piss me off so, I my plan was to limp/call his next big bet then check-raise him on the flop.

Eventually I was in the SB with 8-9dd with 4 limpers, so I limp and face a $25 bet. All fold but I call and am ready to bluff the flop. Low-and-behold, the flop comes 9-9-x rainbow. I check. He checks. A blank comes on the turn and I check and makes a $30 bet that I “reluctantly” call. Another blank comes on the river and I check and pray that he bets. He did. I think for a bit and shove. He is very unhappy and I think he’ll fold, but he calls. He actually had KK and was royally pissed. “How can you call a $25 raise with that out of position!?!” His buddy at the other end of the table mockingly says, “But they were sooooted!”

I scooped, racked up, and wished the other players good luck. Those regulars will never have another chance to get at my money.

Tentative for WSOP & Super Senior event
    • Like Like x 2
  2. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats. You made a terrible play and got extremely lucky.

Drink tickets galore!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. He had done this so often that I thought he was probably raising with air.

[Note to self: You like Vegas poker as there are so many games. Don't like your game? Get your ass out of that chair and find another game!]

Tentative for WSOP & Super Senior event
  4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I mean, it sounds like you had a problem with a jerk, not with a reg.

Anyone can be a jerk.

As to your strategy, I wouldn't necessarily have done it your way. If you think he is squeezing with a wide range, limp a few big hands (AKs would be a good candidate, JJ, maybe some others), and a few bluffables (like your suited connector, or A-5 suited), planning to 3 bet his raise. Good way to make him way more careful about the raises, and out of position you want to be the last aggressor to be in better position to bluff or value bet on the flop.

I'd really only plan to limp/call in position, or maybe as a set mine trap with small pairs if deep enough. You caught an awesome flop, but with 8-9 s, most of your best flops will be draws. And that will be a big pot to be playing draws.

I have played with tons of regs who are in fact very nice. I'd generally prefer a more tourist-y game, but the regs keep the rooms open. Without em, half the rooms on the strip wouldn't run a game except on weekends.

Tentative booking CETDorado farewell tour ends?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. kansaisupra

kansaisupra Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There two types of “pros” ones that get it and ones that don’t.

The ones that get it understand that tourist are in Vegas to have fun. If they suck out a pro wouldn’t berate them on their play. They congratulate and say nice hand. They understand you want tourists to play the game to feel welcome not feel like it’s a hostile environment. But the ones who truly get it also understand strategy. Tourists want to see cheap flops. Not get constantly 3 bet or 4 bet of their hands.

A pro or reg needs them to come back and play. Not have a bad feeling or memory and not ever want to come back.

Pros who don’t get it, make poker worse and drive people away

6. 5betlight

5betlight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Def Agree. Aggressive poker is winning poker but that dosent mean y have to be a jerk. I like to cover the table and players grumble about my raises and pre flop % but at the same time I love talking with people cause they just give away all the info u need in a 5 min.conversation. . I would much rather be at a drinking table full of laughs then a quite table full of hoodies and headphones. More profit more fun

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Horseplayer1

Horseplayer1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He should want that call anyway- more often than not, he profits. Players who berate other players for a play such as yours cut down their profits in the long run. Sure, the lesser hand wins occasionally,and it stings, but that's poker. Like others above said, the wise player just says nice hand and moves on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He's a jerk. Don't let it bother you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldn’t say calling pre-flop is terrible. As long as you know you need to flop it hard or get out, an occasional call is ok.

10. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it's horrendous at normal 1/2 stakes OOP, although OP did at least have a plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, yes, OP, these regs are terrible for rooms, they run off the guys you want playing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. QuaDxAceZ

QuaDxAceZ High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never really let anything or anyone get to me at a poker table. I am a rec player and my whole purpose of playing poker is because I really enjoy it and I can sit, relax and drink and usually have some good conversations. I encounter quite a few jerks at the tables and I either let them do their thing and they usually leave after a little while or I will table change if they are going a little overboard with the "jerk" routine. Letting the jerks get to you usually doesnt bode well for your bankroll

WSOP 2021!
  13. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They’re also hurting themselves.
    Their arrogance and berating other players only hurts their income stream by running them off.
    Idiots.
    Had a guy like that sitting next to me at MGM one night. Raising big in position if there were limpers and talking crap about other players. First time he said something to me I looked him dead in the eyes and said “maybe I should just give you my fucking chips right now instead of sitting here playing”
    He didn’t have much to say in return and racked up and left shortly thereafter.
    They’re bullies. Don’t let them bother you.

• Like Like x 2
  14. touche22

touche22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went back to playing Limit poker. Usually 5/10 or 10/20. Drunk in vegas I'm playing 4/8 at bellagio and splashing around in every pot pretty much. I loosen up games thats for sure. If the game is boring/tight I move on.

15. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would bet he wasn't a Vegas local. The locals that play at CET rooms ONLY play at CET rooms. First off a CET regular at Harrahs would have known at least 5 other players at the table as well as the dealer. No CET local goes to showdown on a paired board calling a raise with one pair, they are total nits trying to make Diamond off poker. I've played in rooms all over the country and they all have jerks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.