1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Do Other People Book Like This?

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by smerrian, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have friends who do that, mostly because they want to use their comp nights so they do so many days on the husband's comp, so many other days using the wife's comp, etc. etc.

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Some people rather just stay at one hotel and others don't mind moving around.

2. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right- it's strictly for the comps that we move. At our low level, it takes a little scrounging to max the freebies.

3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you can do 2 weeks out of a carry on, I guess it's doable.

I go for two weeks and I have two huge pieces of luggage, and my trips are usually stays of:
    3 nights at hotel 1 (MGM)
    4 - 6 nights at hotel 2 (Cosmo)
    5 - 7 nights at hotel 3 (CET)

I usually end up paying for the last 2 nights at CET on a 7 nighter.

I stayed only 2 nights at the first hotel last trip and it sucked, it's not even worth unpacking. I'd never move more than twice.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  4. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have little to unpack because it's a stack of 7 t-shirts, 7 underwear, 7 pair of socks and 2 shirts...shorts and a swim suit. I wear a third shirt, my jeans and sports coat on the plane. I use my 3 button-down shirts like a woman would use a sweater. I wear it for 2-3 days changing my t-shirts. At the end of a week the shirts go to the dry cleaner and I go to the laundromat. It works out VERY easily. I could travel for a month with the same carry-on. Oh, yeah, it also has my full c-pap in it!

PHX >> LAS
    Thank You, Wynn
  5. kaeldon23

kaeldon23 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love traveling like this. Every few days you get a change of scenery, new places to explore, new food and game options and on top of it all you save a good amount of money maximizing your comps. Nice job planning this one out!

6. 16gauge

16gauge Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We usually stay 6-7 nights in Vegas. We will split that between 2 or 3 hotels (usually comped) in different areas. This makes it feel like 2 or 3 separate vacations.

7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

So you take your cpap where ever you go? Do you put it in your carry on or in your luggage?

I'm asking because I have to pick up my cpap shortly and will be going to vegas in 3 weeks. I wasn't sure if I wanted to bring it along with me, I was thinking of waiting until I got back before I picked it up.

Actually for me I usually carry 5 pairs of shirts, underwear and socks and wash them if I stay longer. I usually buy stuff in vegas so I want to travel light so I can bring the stuff home. Must have been funny last year when I brought back a machete in my luggage. I got it from Harbor Freight for only a couple of bucks so it was a good deal. Too bad I can't bring back the jack for my car, in vegas it is probably half the price or more as it is in Honolulu.

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    makiki, mi amigo, haven't you noted a few times here that you're, umm, a bit of a hoarder and don't relish trying to declutter at some point??? Just 'cause something is cheap doesn't mean you gotta by it. lol

I'm trying to pack lighter, more judiciously. But I have no problem checking baggage so it is kinda moot, really. I'm amazed by those who can take on an Amazon excursion with a toothbrush, socks, two shirts and reversible pants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TJC

TJC High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No way I could survive 14 days in Vegas with only one pair of short britches and one pair of long ones. I change mine every day after observing so many people scooting around on the chairs. I wanna say "hey, cash out already and go to the bathroom to take care of that!" Itchy hole is not a laughing matter.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. smerrian

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I pack my c-pap in my carry-on without a problem. It fits...but I don't use humidifier portion. My husband uses the humidifier portion and takes the bag it came in as a personal item. We have no 'luggage' other than the carry-on bags in Vegas.

PHX >> LAS
    Thank You, Wynn
  11. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the info!

I will see how it is when I get one.

12. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My spouse doesn't travel without her c-pap machine. If she did, many people would need earplugs. :ssst:

Vegas, sure why not?…
    Downtown adventures…
  13. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I book exactly like this as well, especially if I have comp'd rooms to use. I usually go every month to Las Vegas for 2 nights. My next stay will be;

Downtown Grand for 1 night comp
    California for $45 for 1 night.

14. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stu, your packing is impressive. I am trying to pack lighter as well for a number of reasons. My problem is not so much the clothes but the accessories, toiletries, make up and also lugging my work computer (I have to stay connected in Vegas but I do just check ins in the am and pm and it works for me/still is relaxing).

Regarding your question, I have definitely planned many trips like this. This year marks my 26th year of visiting Vegas. My first trip -- a solo trip I might add -- was to the Flamingo Hilton in April 1991 where I used Hilton Honors points for a "free" 3 night stay that included some buffets and a show.

Except the first few trips my standard Vegas vacation has typically been 7 to 9 nights (basically a work week + two weekends) and I often would have 3 hotels over say a 9-day stay. The move was driven by getting 3-4 nights comped with an offer that typically included free play and/or a tournament. (I remember back in the day when you could do BOTH at the same hotel during the same stay.). I viewed each stay of 3 days (which for many is the entire trip itself) as a mini vacation with a different but related experience, e.g., 3 days at Flamingo, then 3 days at say El Cortez (oddly still one of my favorite Vegas places/don't judge) or Palace Station (where I would also get my Bingo fix) and ending with say 3 days at Caesars or Cosmo when I used to get good offers there.

Twice I have have vacationed in Vegas for more than 2 weeks; once for 3 weeks and once for more than 5 weeks. Both of those trips were between jobs (which made the trips that much more relaxing) and where I was even more thrifty. I moved around a LOT, never paying for a room the entire time. For me it was almost like a game of how many comped rooms and offers I could maximize. Of course, some offers dried up after that as most days I didn't play that much given the length of the stay but it was a blast.

I am still working and in more recent years my jobs have grown significantly in responsibility (and accompanying intensity and stress) and my bankroll has gotten bigger over time as well. The latter has enabled me to get my entire stay comped up front at one hotel, initially CET hotels only and now Encore as well so now I go, unpack, get truly settled in my room (including ordering flowers for my room) and the next time I pack is when I am leaving for the airport to return home. It makes my Vegas trips that much more relaxing and that goal for me has grown in importance. About 3 years ago I would do half of my trip at a CET hotel and half at Encore, but once I started getting 7-9 comped nights at Encore last year, I effectively cut the Vegas CET cord (my CET play is now about 90% in AC) and I check into Encore and stay the entire time.

I have truly GREAT memories though of my MANY trips where I moved around a lot. Yes, it was sometimes a bit of a pain but I also viewed it as an adventure, having mini vacations in one, and of course, maximizing the comps, slot and bingo tournaments and coupon runs, which in the 1990s and early 2000s in particular were great! I will also confess that I miss the Cosmo balcony, the old school vibe of El Cortez and DT in general, and the centrality and Vegas vibe of Flamingo/Caesars/Bally's. I also miss staying at Palace Station, eating at the cafe there and having an entire day alternating between good VP and looser slots and bingo. But, at the end of the day, I don't want to give up crashing for my entire trip at Encore Tower Suites, which for me is heavenly.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. smerrian

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the reply, Flowers. I'm a bit past you. My bankroll did increase through my working years but now that I'm retired it shrank considerably. Being a savvy gambler keeps my small bankroll able to cover 2-3 night comps at multiple properties but never 5 nights. (I did get 5 nights at Bally's by joining my husband's card on the reservation but most of my trip(s) are solo. He only plays at CZR properties.) With a car and a small bag I still don't mind jumping from hotel to hotel but know some day that may come to an end...maybe when I'm 90. At 58, I still see jumping as my best option.,,and like you, I do love getting the different vibes from staying in different parts of the city.

PHX >> LAS
    Thank You, Wynn
  16. zoey11

zoey11 Mid roller and Vegas fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never stayed that long, but would love to! For five nights, I like to stay at the same hotel, but my upcoming trip, think it's worth it to stay three nights at GN and walk a block to the D to save 200 bucks. Hate paying for a room!
    I booked both but waiting to see how much the bankroll will be and decide a week before I leave.
    I admire your plan and can't wait to hear how it turns out!

17. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope, stay at the same place every year since 2005. Don't move around.

18. Harry Lyme

Harry Lyme VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never stayed that long, but my Vegas trips aren't frequent so I try to at least stay in two places, and three sometimes. We can try out different places and take advantage of comps. It works and I like it because we make sure the stays overlap. Although last trip we were pretty much across the street, when we do it we try to make it on different parts of the Strip so if we're out and about in overtime, we have a place nearby we can crash at. I don't know if I can do two weeks, though. One day I'll do a week and see how that goes.

Have fun and good luck!

19. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    way to much moving around and checking in and out. if you didnt rent a car and put the money towards a room and stayed in one place longer u would probaly enjoy your more

20. Geogran

Geogran mama owl

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @smerrian - I admire your method of getting the most bang for your comps - but I don't think I could keep up that pace for that many days cause I'd probably run out of steam and moolah even with the free play, lol!
    My biggest problem though would be trying to remember what my room number was on any given day. I do take a pic of my room number (fading memory) when I first go to the room, but that's a whole lot of rooms o_O :confused:
    Try as we might, we do not travel or pack lightly so lugging the luggage is a factor - even though half the clothes come back unworn - we both have bad cases of "but I might need this, or we might really dress up for dinner (haha) or I need an extra 3 pairs of shoes, etc....:whistle:

We usually stay 6 nights and split between two hotels, 3+3 or 4+2 which works out great; tried 3 places a time or two, but found that to be a hassle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.