1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Diner's, Drive-ins & Dives - Who's a fan?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by calcuttaman, Jul 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calcuttaman

calcuttaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always knew there was great restaurants like this but until the show
    came out it was very hard to find these gems. I've had the good fortune
    to eat at all of these places, 9 in the Las Vegas area.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UWBP2m6MrtXUMiYeyLfpk7D8jkU&usp=sharing

I've got a few more to see...

Freedom Beat
    Those Guys Pies
    John Mull’s Meats
    Osaka Japanese Bistro

Which one was your favorite?

• Like Like x 1
  2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the show... one of my favorites! Of those you mention, I’ve only been out to John Mulls. Would LOVE to try Those Guys Pies.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not in Vegas, but made the list:
    a) South 21 in Charlotte, NC (https://www.dinersdriveinsdiveslocations.com/south-21-drive-in-north-carolina.html)
    b) The Penguin in Charlotte, NC (https://www.dinersdriveinsdiveslocations.com/the-penguin-north-carolina.html)
    c) Danny's All American, Tampa, FL (https://www.dinersdriveinsdiveslocations.com/dannys-all-american-diner-florida.html)
    d) Barbecue King, Charlotte, NC (https://www.dinersdriveinsdiveslocations.com/barbecue-king-drive-in-north-carolina.html)

* eaten at all of these fine establishments.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i have it on a lot on weekends.... easy show to pop in and out of while doing stuff...

my two favorite places that i have eaten at are the Maine Diner(probably been there a dozen times or more) strongly suggest if you are ever in that area of Maine you try it.
    We just missed Guy one day as he was there the day before.
    We learned that he typically goes to a place one day and does the intro bit and watches them cook.... then he comes back a couple days later to see finished dishes and chat with patrons.
    the day we were there he was in Boston doing a segment for a show there.
    and Moondoggies aka Naked City Pizza in Vegas

ps. also ate at his burger joint in Foxwoods.... but I prefer Boby Flays Burger Bar at Mohegan

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Casual viewer off and on. I'll try the places he visits and I don't remember being disappointed.

LOL, a lot more useful than Bar Rescue. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a fun show that always makes me hungry lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. tex55

tex55 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Big fan of the show. Have been to a few of the restaurants on the show; a mixed bag on my ratings of the restaurants. The only one I've been to in Vegas was Naked City Pizza, and I was not that impressed. Pretty average food.

8. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems like I binge watch at least once a month!!

Mancies Antique Club---Daphne, AL

Back in the day before they got fancy schmancy it was a rundown joint that would serve underage kids----like us:clap:

9. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I watch DDD from time to time, but I'm about "Guy'd out!" Come on Guy, you're in your 50s dressing like your in your 20s and you've created a bleach shortage in Cali just keeping your hair up. That aside, it drives me crazy that he explains chef's every move as if viewers have never boiled water. Other than that, I'm a huge fan!!!!!!!
    I actually prefer the show where he cooks in his outdoor kitchen. What I really miss on Food Network and it's offspring, the Cooking Network are the shows from the early days showing techniques and recipes. It seems like most of their shows now are competition shows and the bulk of those are baking related. Glad to see Good Eats returning. I'd love to see reruns of Emeril, early Bobby Flay and even some Rachael Ray's first efforts.

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy watching the traditional ‘diners, drive-ins, and dives’ places cause they are real to me. Lately it seems there’s are more and more upscale/urban/foodie places.

Not that that I don’t enjoy seeing those places but, hey get your own show :feedme:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The redeeming quality of the show is the places unearthed. From family and acquaintances who interacted with him as restaurateurs, however, he's a self-serving charlatan, and we tried one of his places and it was silly with little substance. Back to the show: We've hit a few dozen featured places over the years in a number of states, many are truly "gems," some just slop-joints. I always check the website when road tripping new directions.

12. zenvegas

zenvegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the show. It’s a guilty pleasure. Obviously you’d die if you ate at these places on a regular basis. Each one is more unhealthy than the last. But we actually seek one out on each US vacation to try. We’ve enjoyed them all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We tried Naked City Pizza. LOVED the Suicide Fries, but when we tried the Guido, our mouths were still on fire and the pizza had no taste.

I'd be willing to try the Guido again, but I'd want the Suicide Fries first and I'd just be in the same boat.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  14. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to watch the show a lot, but kind of got burned out on the Food Network. I too liked it more when it was different cooking shows.

Anyway based on Triple D and TA reviews, we ventured to Four Kegs one year years ago. It's not in the most affluent neighborhood. If it hadn't been a nice night and the door hadn't been open so we could see in, we might have taken a pass. Definitely more on the dive side. The Stromboli is fabulous. We couldn't have met nicer people. It is now a must go place for us. We hit it every trip.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.