1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Diabetic drinks

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Big dam, May 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big dam

Big dam Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Newly diagnosed diabetic, just wondering what a person can order other then water when playing slots. I’m not looking for a liquor drink. Just something different then water all the time. Thanks

2. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flavored seltzer with a twist? Or if you like it sweet, flavored seltzer with a Sw&Lw.

Hope it's not too cold!
    Farewell to CET
  3. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get "diet" drinks all the time at the tables, it's never been an issue. That said, I'm not that kind of doctor and so don't know if Diet Coke is okay. But diet drinks, club soda (maybe with a lime or lemon), and liquor drinks with club soda are pretty readily available.

4. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    club soda with twist of lime/lemon. Diet sprite/7up.

5. Sparkle

Sparkle Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    some diabetics can drink wine without is bumping their blood sugar. Test yourself at home.

6. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always order Diet Coke/Pepsi. Never been an issue.

7. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve never asked for it, but ice tea actually sound good when the weather is getting warmer there. I wouldn’t want to bother them with sweetener so I’d probably stash a couple of Splenda in my bag.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. LVisBeautiful

LVisBeautiful High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Passion fruit la croix

9. bull0120

bull0120 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love a good seltzer like Le Croix. Propel never gave me any problems either. I remember when I was just figuring all this out a few years ago when it hit out of nowhere. Hang in there.

I'll toss this out there too if you are a drinker because this is what I learned starting out... Be careful with insulin and booze. Beer and/or bourbon never raised my blood sugar, but it can definitely drop it low. Low blood sugar and a hangover is a terrible combo.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bloody Mary Mix? Looks like Mr.& Mrs. T has 6 grams of sugar per 5 Oz.

11. Necrochaos

Necrochaos VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife is type I with an insulin pump. She orders Diet soda frequently at slots/tables. If she is feeling squirrely, she will get a fruity mixed drink or something and give herself some insulin.

Something else to remember, if you are moving around a lot (walking all over the strip and DT) your blood sugar will drop as your body is consuming that sugar for energy. That's a great time for her to get something sweet/sugary to keep her blood sugar up. On days we walk from MB to TI, she may need to get some sugar a few times due to the amount of exercise she is getting. Same goes for walking at theme parks, hiking and other activities.

12. Cheetos

Cheetos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Black coffee

• Like Like x 1
  13. goodfoot1

goodfoot1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You did not specify type 1 or type 2, so my answers are geared toward type 1's. Make sure to carry glucose tablet with you at all times when you are travelling. They sell them at Walgreens, etc., they fit in a pocket . Walking can really lower your glucose. Also, test don't guess. meaning test your blood sugars especially when travelling. Vegas can be a challenge, Stay mindful. It is ultimately up to you to figure it out. Diet soda, unsweetened ice tea (make sure to state "unsweetened") , club soda all work fine as no sugar. Also, after you are more comfortable managing your disease, experiment at home if you want to drink anything alcoholic. Then try it in Vegas but be vigilant. And stay hydrated, being dehydrated can make blood sugars wacky also. Don't mean to scare you, but it is a terrible disease and should not be taken lightly whether type 1 or type 2.

14. timtanium

timtanium Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heineken zero alcohol beer.

15. Tarstarkas

Tarstarkas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm diabetic (type 2) and go to Vegas. I drink black coffee, tomato juice or i order bottled water and put a packet of sugar free crystal light in it for flavor.

16. Big dam

Big dam Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm type 2 but have to take insulin injections. I know it's going to be a challenge in Vegas cause we normally might have a muffin for breakfast and then don't eat till 6 or 7pm. I have done quite well at home but no Vegas is going to be a challenge.

17. Whatedsaw

Whatedsaw Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a type 1 it came on late for me so my drinking habits changed. I now generally drink Vodka Soda with a lime, it's not sugar free but mixers get you in trouble in terms of spiking. Also make sure you have glucose tablets or some food in the hotel room. When I get a middle of the night low I can get kind of panicky at a hotel. The beauty of Vegas are lots of Bathrooms when my sugar is high and lots of options food ideas when my sugars are low. Side note, I am very happy with my Dexcom GCM, truly a game-changer for me.

18. Necrochaos

Necrochaos VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife has the G6 and it's amazing.

19. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bubly is also very good, and dirt cheap on Amazon. It's got more flavor to it, as well, if that's your style -- La Croix always tasted to me, as someone else put it, as if you were drinking carbonated water and someone shouted the name of a fruit from the other room.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.