1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dean Martin would have turned 100 on 6/7/17! Great photos!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by tagac27, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tagac27

tagac27 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome. From what I understand he wasn't the boozy party animal he made himself out to be. Often when the 'Pack was out boozing he stayed in his hotel room and watched TV and read.

3. tagac27

tagac27 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand that when the others were having whiskey on stage, Dean had apple juice. It all looked the same to the audience. :)

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is quote from the LA Times

"When he started to redo his nightclub act, he started at the Sands Hotel and had some writers helping him," she said. "It was like Jack Benny who had the violin thing and made fun about being cheap. Dad was so handsome, so debonair. They just thought, 'We'll put a drink in his hand and a cigarette.' Every man wanted to be him, and every woman wanted to be with him."

The truth of the matter, she said, was her father was swigging apple juice and not liquor when he performed. "He would be home for dinner every night," Martin said. "He would come home, and he and mom would have their one cocktail at the bar. He was kind. He was so different from what everybody thought he was. There was no one who could do Dean Martin better than Dean Martin."

• Like Like x 1
  5. rcbeamer

rcbeamer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember Johnny Carson telling his audience (or I read it, or I dreamed/imagined it! I can't find the source on the 'Net.) a Dean Martin story from the late 60's not too long after Dean died. Dean was a guest on the Tonight Show, and during a break Johnny went into the dressing room to tell him he was up next. Dean was sitting at a table with a drink, doing a crossword puzzle. Johnny says "You're on in 2 minutes." Dean hands him his drink while he puts on his suit jacket. Johnny smells the drink, and says "This is apple juice. You're stone sober!" And Dean gives him the "shhhh..." signal. Love it!

6. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He also did his best to have dinner with his wife and all the kids every day too. At least have one meal with the whole family. He didn't believe in quality time with kids. Just quantity time. Sit in a spot and let them wander over to you and share their day. The little stories, the little touches. He got custody of his first batch of kids because his wife was a boozer. Probably why he wasn't a boozer himself. But, he got custody at a time when men didn't get custody of their kids. Not a single one of those kids turned out bad. Not one. They might have had a little wild phase. But, tame in comparison to other stars. They all said from day one that he was a wonderful father. Was he a wonderful husband? Maybe not so much. But, those kids adored him. That's why he's my fav rat packer along with Sammy for different reasons. He was also a hell of an entertainer and singer.

7. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm assuming you meant the opposite of what I highlighted above...

Vegas Trip #42!
    Vegas Trip #43!
  8. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope. Quantity vs quality. Sit in a spot, let the kids wander over to you. Meals, sitting outside, watching tv, as much regular home life stuff as possible. Nothing exciting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.