1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker Dealt Royal Flush

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by win4me, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m an actuary and I can say that you have a better chance of living to age 94, than does a casual video poker player have getting two dealt royals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ?

Depends on your definition of "casual" I suppose...

If someone plays 100 hours per year (~2 hours a week) over 40 years at 400 deals per hour, you'd expect them to have 2.46 dealt royals over that period. Much more likely than making 94.

Unless I quit the game early, I'll be disappointed I don't get two before I die (already have one).

• Like Like x 2
  3. oldbrewzer

oldbrewzer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have had a total of 5 dealt royals(wife-3, me-2). The last one was last year at the "D". My estimate of total hands played since we started playing video poker is around 2,300,000 - 2,400,000 hands. My wife actually hit her 3 in a 10 month stretch March 2016 - January 2017. Of course, now she expects they should be coming more frequently.

4. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok I’ll lay out my assumptions.

- player is not a local. They have two 4-day trips per year for eight gambling days per year.
    - assume the same 400 hands per hour and they play five hours per day that’s 16,000 hands a year
    - assume a 30 year playing career thats 480,000 hands in a lifetime
    - my calculation of 480,000 hands states that they have a 17% chance of getting more than one dealt royal (do you agree with this calc)?
    - I used a living to 94 expectancy of 20%. This varies greatly by gender and also some by medical improvements assumed.

5. bull1029

bull1029 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After assimilating all this data, the gambler in me thinks, "man, am I due for a dealt royal." To be honest, I'm also due for a drawn royal. So, lemme at 'em!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It took a long time to get my first, and I suppose my play is more than casual, but I've had 3 dealt royals now. The last one was either 2018 or 2017.

The thrill of a dealt royal is different than a drawn one, as you see the cards dealt, then left to right they get quickly automatically held, and then the royal flush flashes like usual. Since I already have 2 or more does that mean I won't live till 94? ;-)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  7. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I've had more than 2 so I hope you're right. It reminds me in 1996 the company I worked for( the now largest bank in the US) changed the retirement plan from and when they converted it to a new plan I realized they used the worst actuarial table and my new cash amount was 20% less than the best. So my net worth is probably 20% less now in retirement due to an actuary. :thumbsdown:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  8. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m not saying that. It just means that since you got 2 or more, that means someone like me won’t get any. Thanks a lot.

9. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like they did the minimum allowed by law. Next time be a government employee. They get juicy pensions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fair enough. That's certainly very casual.

But now i think you're a bit optimistic with people making it to 94! Haha Hopefully health improves to 20% overall making it that far. Women probably get there eventually, but men and women combined? Ehhhh...I sure don't plan on it making it that far. I'm left-handed even!

11. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it was the minimum allowed by law. Actually I did OK, just not the amount I would have at the old plan had I retired at an older age because I was laid off during the big crash in 2008. I did, however, end up with a pretty good severance package.

12. nickbig14

nickbig14 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Decided I am screwed....I play at least 6 hours a week on average, so quite a few hands, but I've had 5 dealt in the 19 years I have been old enough to gamble......including my first ever at the age of 21.....what does that mean for my life expectancy?

13. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah women get there pretty often - men not as often. So if we use the male rate my thesis crashes and burns. What’s the left handed reference? I didn’t follow that.

14. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was under the impression that left- handed people lived shorter lives on average. But the study I learned the stat from has been mostly shunned apparently.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg13017662-900-left-handers-dont-die-young-after-all/

That study claimed a nine year difference.

Another study based on former cricket players 25 years ago said the left-handed guys lived about 25 months shorter. Which is better for me at least...lol

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1059767/

15. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first drawn RF! Did this at MSS BHB within the first half hour of playing last Saturday. I feel like I am half way until living to 92! :woohoo:

IMG_0224 (1).jpg

Maybe not this year. Looking forward to 2021!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  16. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have only had one dealt Royal and that was on a 100-play machine at Southpoint a number of years ago. I was only playing the penny denomination so I think it paid a total of $125 for all 100 Royals...

17. Hbatc

Hbatc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a single multiplier.
    royal.jpg

• Wow! Wow! x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Jkpalmer7

Jkpalmer7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m still waiting for my first dealt royal.

19. Grant1982

Grant1982 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Were you only playing 1 credit per hand? A dealt royal on a 100 hand penny machine would be worth $4,000.

20. win4me

win4me High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of us are with you. Maybe one day it will happen for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.