1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Damage to a rental car

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by miniwhale, Jun 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I am desperately seeking information and hoping to hear about anyone's experience with damage to a rental car. This did not happen in Vegas but I have gotten a lot of helpful info. on this page on many things and was hoping someone would have some insight.

I have a rental car for a couple weeks, returning Monday. I rear-ended a pickup truck (trailer hitch) last week and I am still waiting for my car to be repaired. I do not have car rental coverage so I am paying out of pocket for the rental. Yesterday, on my way home from work on the highway, I was behind a pickup truck. A huge empty box (think bigger than a fridge box) came flying out, along with a big round metal object, about the width of a tire, hits my car and puts a few scratches on the front bumper and the plastic headlight cover. I filed a police report, but the guy did not come back. I know what I need to do with the claims dept. with my credit card. I am just wanting to know what to expect with the rental car company and if I need to get any ducks in a row.

Any help is much appreciated!!

2. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the rental company may try to squeeze you for "down time" while the rental is being repaired. I've seen it happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This happened to me recently. I was renting Avis. A car took a random turn into my front bumper from another lane. His fault for not looking or using a blinker.
    We pulled over and I took a ton of pictures at the scene, the damage, etc. I got all the other drivers info (he stopped). I called my personal insurance company and got a claim started (progressive) and called Avis and got a claim started with them. Avis offered to let me exchange the car early or keep using it. Progressive assigned me a claims rep and called me the next day. I gave him all the details, and emailed him the photos and other docs i had (rental agreements and such). He was my point person for the rest of this process. He told me Avis may bill me my collision deductible when returning.

When i returned the car, i had to fill out a form about the damage and they wanted to know the claim numbers. I put my Avis and Progressive claim numbers on the form. Turns out they did NOT charge me the deductible. When i got home, i applied for the supplemental insurance coverage with my credit card. Most CC's have a program like this. A month later I got a bill in the mail from Avis (well a 3rd party billing service for Avis). It was for $800, for which my deductable would cover $500 of it. (note.. they only charged $100 for a loss of use fee.. i suspect the "cheapo" rentals would go harder on this number) I called my claims rep, he told me that they got in touch with the other driver, he admitted fault and his insurance paid for the damage. I ended up not having to pay anything. It just took about 2 months for all the dust to settle.

Just keep your paper work in order and keep on your claims reps and you should be fine.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fully realize that this really isn't pertinent to the OP's situation, but . . .

I had the LDW waiver. Spun the car out on a icy road and damaged the rear tail light. Turned the car in and told them "I have LDW. Anything else you need?" They said "You're covered, have a nice day".

I now have American Express supplemental coverage $17.95 per rental period (up to 30 days, I think). $0 deductible. Thank goodness I've never had to use it.

Another NGO trip. QQQQ/NYNY
  5. idtwins

idtwins Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In May we rented a car in Phoenix from Budget. Headed down to Tucson and what I think was a bolt hit the windshield leaving two chips in the glass connected by a pretty little crack. I too made a claim with my insurance and filed an incident report with budget. As of today I haven't heard from Budget. My insurance company called me to check in but told them I had no news. The Budget incident report indicates I should hear something within 30 days but we're way beyond that. I won't be calling them to check in on it!! I rented with Costco credit card so they'll cover whatever the insurance doesn't, including loss of use, if Budget finally does something

6. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also have the American Express supplemental insurance. Very good, though I pay $19.95 per rental period up to 40 days. It covers any costs your regular insurance doesn't cover, including any 'loss of use' charges. It goes into effect just by putting the car rental onto the card. I keep this card just for this use. Notice it is $19.95 per rental period, not per day. So, for $19.95 I will have full insurance coverage during my next 14 day trip to Las Vegas. Sweet.

7. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My bad. I may have missed the billing changes.

Another NGO trip. QQQQ/NYNY
  8. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    U mention filing a claim with your credit card... hopefully you charged the rental on a card that's got primary rental insurance, such as the chase sapphire reserve... if that's the case, and the damage is less than the $50k (or whatever their limit is) than you shouldn't get any claimat all on your personal insurance policy and your premiums should not increase

9. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty sure the amex insurance coverage you have is primary coverage

10. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do have primary coverage with my cc, up to the value of the car and loss of use charges.

11. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use the Delta one also. I should actually find the stupid policy when I rent again. But I always use AE for the car rental now. Mine is $24.95 for up to 42 days. Cost & term vary by where you live.

• Flat rate of $19.95 / $24.95 per rental period, not per day depending on your coverage selection ($15.95 / $17.95 for CA Residents; $12.25 / $15.25 for FL Residents).
    • Coverage is primary for theft and damage to a Rental Vehicle. If your rental vehicle is damaged, you can file that claim with us first as your primary provider.
    • Coverage provided is not subject to a policy deductible.
    • You pay only when you rent. Your enrolled Card Account(s) will automatically be charged when used to pay for a rental vehicle until your enrollment is terminated.
    • Coverage is worldwide, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand.4
    • Coverage is for up to 42 consecutive days (up to 30 consecutive days for Washington State Card Members).
    • Coverage automatically extends to other eligible American Express Card Account(s) when you enroll one of your Card Account(s). (Note: not all accounts are eligible, for example Corporate Cards).
    • Coverage extends to many vehicles available from Car Rental Companies.
    EXAMPLE OF HIGHER OPTION
    • Up to $100,000 of primary coverage for damage or theft of a Rental Vehicle.
    • Up to $100,000 of Accidental Death or Dismemberment coverage ($250,000 for California Residents).5
    • Up to $15,000 for secondary medical expenses per person.
    • Up to $5,000 for secondary personal property coverage ($15,000 for Florida Residents).
    • Liability coverage is not included
    You do have to enroll in it on the AE website - it is not provided automatically.

12. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The rental company will try to charge you for lost days of revenue. Spend five hundred dollars on a lawyer and you come out ahead.

13. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The LDW stuff they try to sell you is for that reason. Ease of use, no worries about calling account reps, getting paper work in order, etc. Its a pain in the ass for sure, but doesnt cost me $17 extra a day.
    I'll have to look into the AE coverage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.