1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

credit card fraud at caesars pool?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by sandman992, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandman992

sandman992 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just got back from our stay at Caesars, when we got home today we had fraud alert from credit card company. We went to the pool Monday and that"s when the fraud occurred. When we paid for our drinks and the lady took our card in the back. Not sure if that's normal or not. There were 3 charges to apple ITunes store, it was our card but not our phone number being used. We should of charged to the room or paid cash. I wasn't sure if they scanned your card right in front of you or its common to take it where they get the drinks. Thanks for letting me ramble, just wanted to share our experience with that.

2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have always taken my card. Most likely, though, it wasn't anyone at the pool. I have had the same thing happen to me multiple times. Stealing a number and using it minutes later is not usually how these criminals operate. That makes it too easy to trace the point of theft.

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow!!! So sorry that happened to you.

That's why I just smuggle our booze in... we don't pay for shit!!! Not really... that's a take on a recent thread on smuggling drinks into pools.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About 6 months ago we got an alert from our credit card company of fraudulent activity.
    We were in Vegas at the time and using that very card for our hotel stay when we got the notice.

All of the fraud was online purchases with attempts at charging
    small amounts like iTunes and GoDaddy.

CC company said the thieves were attempting smaller charges online
    that might go unnoticed so as to try bigger purchases if approved and not related to being in Vegas.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I MUST OBJECT. Sorry if that sounds harsh - but unless there is more to this story, nobody here knows WHERE the fraud occurred. You have a good idea, but you do not KNOW. Not saying it did not happen there... but it could have happened other ways from a hack that day, or another day somewhere else. Stuff happens.

But blaming someone without knowing is how fake news and ruined reputations happen.

If I am totally wrong, I will apologize.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. sandman992

sandman992 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry if it sounded like we blamed Caesars for what happened but that was the only place we used it on Monday. We didn't call and complain because we didn't want to see anybody unfairly lose their job. It could of been from when we used it on Sunday. Its been taken care of and we will stay at Caesars again.I just wasn't sure if that was normal to take card in the back and swipe it and that was answered. Thanks for the replies

7. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    edited. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  8. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it was charged to a phone number (for iTunes) can’t the carrier identify the number for authorities. “Oh a friend did that for me”. What friend?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. sandman992

sandman992 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was told it was my card but not my phone number and was kinda dropped after that. My daughter set me straight kinda what nostresshere was saying,she said it cld of happened from using my card 2 months ago or any other time. Overall it was a good 30th celebration, my wife had a guy pleasure himself in front of her,we lost our money but we still love it there. Only in Vegas is that normal.

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow - that is worth another new thread!

As to the fraud - we have had a few over the years - including one we only use for one specific purpose that resulted in a usage email. We called and they just sent a new card - like in the others that happened. Hard to say where it all originates from.

11. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Wait a minute ?
    Was your wife on a plane ?....and the pleasure seeker in the window seat ?
    I never do that in the window seat !

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. sandman992

sandman992 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol it was at Luxor, i tried to re-enact the scene and it didn't go well for me

13. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:

Okay what? No. In Vegas it is not normal for a guy to pleasure himself in front of anybody.

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About every six months BofA thinks it detects fraud on the card we use all the time and we get a new card. I can't say enough about the bank's diligence and fraud protection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You've obviously never been to Ellis Island.

16. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A guy pleasured himself in front of your wife? If he then turned around and asked her to slide her card through the slot, that might be where the hack occurred. :)

Annual me and Pete
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. donfairplay

donfairplay VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do we know it wasn't the guy who pleasured himself two months ago, instead of the guy who did today?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, normally when the card is used fraudulently it was actually compromised number wise quite a while before that. You will get the random person behind the counter who will steal a number and keep it for their own use. But normally they are gathering numbers and selling the info. Then someone else uses it later. That way not really any relationship to where the theft of the info actually occurred.

Easter again..:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately fraud can often be that somewhere, somehow, info was picked up, and sold, online.

We have had a TON of fraudulent charges...to the point we froze hub's credit line. (Thanks VMB for this tip!)

Just 2 months ago I had $248 of Facebook charges, and I don't use Facebook. A month before that, $700 in airfare on a DIFFERENT card. I've also had iTunes charges, other music charges and weird charges, and we had a Macy's card opened under hubs name (that Lifelock fortunately caught), the works.

It's unfortunately a big racket....selling someone's credit online....often it's someone you've never even been in the same room with. The danger is, if it's on the dark web, or whatever, whenbthey open an account you DONT know about, and thus you can't fight. (Heck, I've heard of mortgages being opened up in someone's name!)

I'm a huge believer in checking CC regularily, plus paying for some identity theft monitoring/insurance, life Lifelock, so if it DOES happen, and you don't catch it....you have some legal recourse/funding.

I am sorry it happened. It's prolific now, and it sucks.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  20. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My card was fraudulently used last night. I received a call from my bank asking if I had authorized a $192 gas fill up at a Hertz Rent A Car in Honduras. It wasn't me. What a pain in the ass having to set up my auto payments again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.