1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

COVID-19 [coronavirus]

Discussion in 'Admin. Announcements' started by HoyaHeel, Feb 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here are some additional links you may find useful to continue to monitor the progress:

ARS Technica has a pretty balanced overview of where we are. And they are updating daily.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/dont-panic-the-comprehensive-ars-technica-guide-to-the-coronavirus/

Johns Hopkins has an outstanding tracker that data nerds will love.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Nevada Independant has a blog they are updating with information daily about the spread of the virus:

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/live-blog-no-more-coronavirus-cases-in-washoe-reported-as-health-officials-identify-test-close-contacts

They also have an updating page about how the virus is effecting the economy in Nevada, including a list of conference cancellations, etc:

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/live-blog-tracking-how-the-coronavirus-is-affecting-the-las-vegas-economy

And Las Vegas Review Journal has a dedicated tag and email newsletter you can sign up for on their website.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/tag/coronavirus/

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 4
  3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would love to be able to have open discussions as we move forward as to how changes being made are going to change your travel plans and what that means for the future of Las Vegas.

However, I need YOUR help to not make every thread the typical internet dumpster fire with misinformation and hype. I work very hard to provide a source of good information here. I would love to allow open discussions about all kinds of topics, but every thread that has organically started in the last few days has quickly gone off the rails. And that's if it didn't initially start in some crazed "Let me be the first to post this on VMB" mania. :rolleyes2: You want to have these discussions, prove to me that we can have them here without it becoming a moderation nightmare. I'm tired, I'm in pain, I'm trying to recover from sinus surgery right now and I'm considering just turning off the lights.

I want to try to let some threads stay open that are coronavirus related, but impact Las Vegas directly. HOWEVER, anyone who posts misinformation, spreads hype, overstates, brings in political opinion (and yes, it's political, even when you disagree!), or otherwise violates our rules, will be giving a harsh warning and may lose their posting privileges here on VMB.

• Like Like x 13
    • Love Love x 3
  4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As you should be aware by now, we are restricting COVID-19 threads on the board to prevent the spread of misinformation and hype and causing undue alarm.

People who violate our policies are having those posts removed and are receiving warning points. Some of you are going to have some of your posting privileges removed because of these warnings, most likely resulting in your posts requiring moderator approval before appearing on the open board. Some of you are going to get a temporary vacation from VMB. The way to avoid this is to not violate our rules. Please know that we are specifically targeting snarky posts about the virus and jokes/memes in serious discussions.

The moderators and I are doing our absolute best to keep our sticky threads updated, confirm the rumors, answer questions and keep the board functional. I can not promise immediate attention to all of your needs. I will do my best to get through my emails and private messages within a day, but if I miss your question, please just patiently remind me you are waiting for an answer instead of further escalating the issue and causing more trouble for the mods and I.

I have heard from some of you that you have concerns about us restricting some threads, deleting snark and jokes, etc. Our rules are clear about the limits and policies for our removing or editing posts on the board. I try very hard to apply the rules equally and fairly. If you think I punished you, but not that other thing, feel free to report it and we will look at it.

Bottom line is that I'm doing the best I can. If you don't like that, I guess I can tell you "sorry", but I assume that won't change much of anything for anyone.

• Love Love x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.