$20 Cosmopolitan

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Terrace Fountain View is the most important thing here. Plus, it's only one night. I guess I'll give the 20 bucks just because so I can hopefully earn some karma for the slots. I'm trying for Sterling in a day.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 1stoppop

1stoppop Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked into Cosmo on 11/5 for a two-night stay. I had an Identity card, but have not played at Cosmo for many years, so I have no points or credits. I had booked for a conference at conference rate ($219) and was assigned a standard double-queen room. I was checking in very early (10 a.m.) so I was not optimistic, but tried the $20 sandwich. The clerk was terrific! He placed the $20 to the side as he entered my information. I asked if there were any complimentary upgrades available, especially a Terrace Fountain View. He explained that there were no Terrace Fountain Views available, but he could get me in the One Bedroom Terrace Suite with a view overlooking the strip on the 36th floor. As an additional bonus, the room was clean and available immediately! This was my first time to try the $20 sandwich, but I will definitely use it again. This is one of the best rooms I have had in Vegas!

• Like Like x 6
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. GabrielBFly

GabrielBFly Vegas Aficionado

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for sharing your expirience, i'll be staying there in a few days and just might have the guts to finally try this trick.

The Celebration of Mimi
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be trying the trick first time ever in 1 week. Hopes: I know it's not busy this time of year. Concerns: I'm already on a free promo stay in terrace studio.... so wondering if they're less likely to upgrade compared to a paying guest.

I always ask at every hotel for an upgrade. In Vegas, its worked at Mirage 20 years ago, and 3 weeks ago at Nomad. Every other property offers a paid upgrade; but I've never tried the $20 trick.

Caesars Palace was the worst- I said yes when making the reservation to an offer of $19 for an upgrade, depending on availability. They emailed me the morning of arrival that I'd gotten my upgrade, then told me on arrival that, due to unexpected occupancy, they rescinded the upgrade! I'd have been fine if I didn't get it .... but confirming then rescinding...I'm a sore loser. That trip, I stayed two free nights at Caesars, but walked to neighboring properties to gamble; haven't spent a dollar in a Caesar's property despite 5 subsequent trips to LV in the past 18 months.

5. SunshineSlayer

SunshineSlayer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I will be staying Sun-Tues for the first time at the Cosmo in March on a three night comp, no resort fee offer. The room is the Terrace Studio - city view. Any chance of me getting an upgrade to a fountain view on a comp in other people's experience?

6. mhetrick

mhetrick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since it's Sun-Tuesday, you may have a decent chance of an upgrade with the trick. Be prepared for them to sell you the upgrade though as its comped with no resort fees. The bright side, you do earn 5 tier points for each $1 you spend on room upgrades so if you are working up the tiers, that can help there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. ReTriggerMe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've gotten that upgrade without the trick. Just asked.

Fountain view is great. I've now had fountain view twice, city view once. And decided on following approach

First time or March-Oct or Nov, fountain view. Winter: city view. Even in cold weather last visit... sun shining on southern exposure of towers, it was sunny and comfortable on my city view terrace.

If you've never had fountain view... go for it. Nothing like it!

But if you've experienced a fountain view previously, go for city view in cold months.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. skybank

skybank High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My comp is no resort fee, not fully comped, but the upgrade to a fountain view from a Terrace studio was $30 more a night for me in September.
    Now for my April trip the same room with fountain view the upgrade is $24 more a night, not sure why the price decreased other than they have less booking?

9. SeaJay

SeaJay Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I checked in on Memorial Day on a 3 night comped terrace studio with no resort fee offer and was able to get a complementary upgrade to a 1 bdrm terrace room, strip view, high floor for a $20 sandwich. I was also able to go right up to the room at 10:30am. She offered a Fountain View studio in the Chelsea tower on a lower floor for $30 extra/night but I would have had to wait until after 3pm to access the room. She also called to move my reservation for the Henry the next morning a half hour earlier to make sure they’d still be offering the hot beignets :D

• Like Like x 4
  10. iliketoslot

iliketoslot Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked in on a Sunday for a three night no resort fee terrace studio comp. I asked for a fountain view in boulevard tower, but was told all fountain views were all sold out. The desk clerk, Sue I believe, asked me if a one bedroom terrace strip view in the boulevard tower was acceptable. I said only if she's allowed to accept tips. She said of course. I gave her $22, Sue was delighted by the extra $2 bill. I have found the $2 bills work wonders if you can't tip big.

Edit: I held the cash in hand while we talked, but it may have been out of view behind the desk or computer monitor. I planned to tip regardless of successful upgrade or not.

• Like Like x 6
  11. RTCraft

RTCraft Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve currently got a three night comp in a fountain view studio middle of December (Tuesday-Thursday nights.) Anyone else think $100 trick at check in would give us a chance at a wrap around fountain view?

12. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years ago in early December, I got a $50 per night upgrade from a city room to a wraparound non-fountain view just by asking nicely and tell them I was celebrating my birthday. Unfortunately the fountain views were all booked up.

From what I've seen, they run those rooms a bit cheaper in the colder months and they get snapped up pretty quickly. I'm not sure if you would get a fountain view, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

• Like Like x 2
  13. gked

gked Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Arrived at Cosmo last night for a two night stay, comped with no resort fees, in a Terrace Studio city view.

I asked if there were any upgrades to a fountain view and after a quick call the super helpful agent upgraded me to a One bed Terrace Suite, 23 floor Chelsea tower, with a fountain view. I didn't try the $20 trick as had not sorted out getting dollars yet a I'm on a bit of a last min trip from the UK.

Really happy with the upgade, prob best room I've stayed in when in Sin City. Stayed in a Mirage one bed suite before which is bigger but Cosmo is a notch above, especially with the balcony.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Horseplayer1

Horseplayer1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    C28B5203-AFEF-41E8-B7F3-CD4F65CBA4AF.jpeg 4B34FBAB-C8E8-4335-9F7D-2CE226E9DB4E.jpeg Had comped terrace studio with no resort fees for three days. Put a $20 on the counter and asked if a fountain view was possible, he said he didn’t think so but after looking, was able to get me one. The view was awesome.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. ReTriggerMe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't help but have a cynical reaction. Perhaps confused is a more accurate term.

Last few times I was at Cosmopolitan, I was not pre-assigned the room type/location specified by my host. And while polite and helpful, the check in staff always note that they control nothing, the "room assignments department" pre-assigns rooms as guests checkout throughout the day. Never once have I asked about a different room without reception calling rooms-assignments and a lot of back and forth. Sometimes multiple calls. Often "they're telling me there's nothing else." Even my host told me that it's all up to Room Assignments.

I have no complaint about my experiences. Reception has ultimately gotten me into a room that meets at least some of my requested features. I've never had a truly bad room. I'm just bewildered that a $20 and an upgrade request seems to make the calls to "room assignments" unnecessary.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any changes I’ve requested at check in have always required a phone call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heading to Cosmo in one week, a Monday through Thursday stay. Currently booked in a terrace studio fountain view, going to try a $50 to see if they can bump us into a wraparound w/ fountain view. I'll update next week.

• Like Like x 2
  18. GA Redneck

GA Redneck Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thinking about trying the $20 Sandwich on my next stay coming up in Early April and was wondering which is the best time to receive and upgrade? Morning, Midday or Night check-in?

VEGAS BABY!
  19. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When the hotel occupancy is low, is he only suggestion I can give.

Don't think there is any set rule as to the best time of day, but someone with more knowledge than myself may be able to point us both in the right direction :)

Last two times I've been there, occupancy has been super high, and one time they couldn't even upgrade me if I paid, and I had to move after the first night, once occupancy had dropped a little.

I've got Studio FV to 1br FV a couple times for $50 the first couple times I stayed there which were 10 & 14 day stays.

I just book the room I'm happy with, and then I don't end up stuck with a view/room I don't want.

Think your room to be upgraded is much better when you're there for a short time, for obvious reasons.

20. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Following up, mid-January Mon-Thu trip, tried $50 to get a complimentary upgrade but was only offered a paid upgrade to wraparound fountain for $100/night extra. I skipped the offer, the attendant handed back the $50, and we were happy in the terrace studio fountain view. Hotel was nowhere near capacity that week (Vegas has been very slow in general, on weekdays, for quite some time now).

• Informative Informative x 3