1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Conference Hogging all Available Rooms

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by EugeneChoi, Mar 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EugeneChoi

EugeneChoi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To make a long story short - I love staying at the MGM Grand but the dates I am flying in coincide with a major conference. Because of this, the hotel appears sold out. HOWEVER, you can book any room if you follow the link and book via the conference's website.

Has anyone ever done this?

I don't think I would be bold enough to try. Hoping the rooms become available to the public soon.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as it's a reservation you can cancel, jump right in to get your dates. Depending on how long until the convention, they typically release rooms not used and you may be able to rebook at a better rate anyway, but I'd go ahead and sure something up that can be canceled now though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. EugeneChoi

EugeneChoi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never heard of anyone booking a hotel through a conference that they are not attending, but I love the MGM pool so I did it anyway. I will update this thread afterwards, hopefully more people can book their desired "sold out" hotel using this method.

The reservation is fully refundable, as SH0CK recommended I check, so nothing to lose.

• Like Like x 3
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes the conference rates are lower than the street rates, and I've never heard of them checking to be sure if you are a registered conference attendee or not. However, sometimes the conference rates are higher than the street rates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of conferences are being cancelled due to the virus, so keep an eye on it!

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have ZERO clue if you are attending conference or not. Book it.

That said, conference rates are sometimes higher than other rates.

And... try booking across the street at NYNY.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe what the OP has done is very likely to work, but its not a guarantee

There are variations on conference registration policies.
    • Ive attended conferences where room reservations werent just a code/link, but could only be booked after completing conference registration. Obviously not the situation for the OP. Could the system catch it eventually?
    • I attended a conference in LV where registration was lower if I booked the conference hotel via the sponsor registration system... or they actually charged a higher registration rate if not booking our room via the registration system
    Conferences guarantee hotels attendance and revenues. From one perspective, the OP booking helps them fulfill obligations. But it is possible that some OCD conference manager may, if they run out of rooms, cross check reservations with registrations, and report non-qualification to the hotel. I'd say its super-low probability... but possible.

How deep is your love? MGM Grand is massive, so I wouldnt expect this... but....if MGM is truly overrun by the conference(s)....

Personally... I'd think twice about finding a method to join the hordes in a mega resort fully booked by conventions. Sold out facilities are taxed at check-in, housekeeping, bell services, etc. Twice at Aria, once at Mandalay Bay, there was no group when I checked-in, but a group started midway through my stay. Just getting a cup of coffee became a hassle. I couldnt get on a treadmill or bike in the morning.

I was at a conference in an Orlando mega-resort last fall. Because organized events were scheduled for almost every hotel guest.... regular attractions didnt open. Restaurants knew everyone was at a huge sonsored celebration, so they remained closed. Or venues were closed for private events.

Whose conference can also be an issue. I wouldn't want to be sharing the resort with the conference of insomniacs and dawn-yodelers, or the national society of water-preserving unwashed for their annual symposium promoting natural body odor.... (effort on extreme, ridiculous examples; my point being that any group of thousands of conventioneers may affect quiet enjoyment of other guests.)

Im attending a convention at Bellagio in 3 months... Im staying at Vdara. The Bellagio convention area is connected to Vdara anywway.

Then again.... if my effort to get a room was via the website for the annual meeting of "the dedicated society for those who gift cash to strangers"... I'd nab a room despite potential hassles.

Holiday Return after 39 Months
    Superbowl
  8. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go to the conference website and find out what the deadline is for booking MGM at the conference rate. Once that passes, the hotel may have a bunch of rooms get unblocked and go back into the inventory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. This happens often. Conference is 100% sure they will get a large number. Then the numbers drop and the rooms become available.

But, as said... things change during a conference. Thousands of people attending meetings at the SAME TIME and getting out at the SAME TIME. Normal visitors stagger their timing, large groups move in a herd that a hotel is not able to handle.

10. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hotels block off a number of rooms for conference attendees in advance then release them as the date grows closer. So even if it appears full now, it may not in a few weeks or a month. Also, I've found that conference rates are most often higher than what you can usually book the hotel for on a normal day, but lower than if you book based on high occupancy. By booking through the conference link you are helping them out as well as yourself because the hotel now thinks they are getting more conference bookings and in the future may offer those people a better rate.

11. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the choice of two different conferences at the same time. One was at MGM, the other at Venetian. I booked using an offer from MLife at MGM because that was the cheapest. I checked the room rate at MGM without signing into my MLife account and that rate was lower than the conference rate by about $10/night before resort fees + taxes. That conference just wasn't going to work for me anyway so I booked the conference at Venetian. I looked at the conference rate at Venetian and it was cheaper by about $20/night AND the resort fees were reduced to only $15/night, but the cost was too high for my company to send me and pay for me to stay at Venetian, hence I booked MGM anyway. The conference at MGM was small with maybe 1500 attendees and the conference at Venetian is huge with about 15,000 attendees.

12. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as the room can be canceled, why not book the conference rate as a hold and then re-evaluate over time?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wednesday from 10am - 11am at ABC Expo:

@EugeneChoi will show attendees his tips and tricks on how to use conventions to get the vacation you want.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.