1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Concerts of Years Gone By

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by joespoolhall, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnitaCS

AnitaCS Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Mom was a huge music fan, especially country music. I grew up with a bust of Elvis on my fridge so there you go. She dragged us to all of the classic oldies - Buck Owens, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Merle Haggard and more when I was 6 or 7 years old. Guess it's her fault.

I was a child of the 70's and saw alot of concerts and still do or hope to again in 2021. This is not necessarily in any order but my top shows are at the top of the list. Two of them were double bills.

Elton John/Billy Joel - MGM Grand (2000?)
    Eagles - Harvey's Outdoor Tahoe (2015)
    Joe Cocker/Huey Lewis - Harvey's Outdoor Tahoe (2012)
    Paul McCartney (2017)

Tower of Power (20+)
    Huey Lewis (10+)
    Rolling Stones
    Eagles (1974)
    Don Henley
    Dan Fogelberg
    Paul Simon
    KD Lang
    Van Morrison (4)
    Gladys Knight
    REO Speedwagon
    Tom Jones
    Robert Palmer
    Bonnie Raitt
    Boz Scaggs
    Elvin Bishop
    Madonna
    Erasure
    Chris Issak (4)
    Michael Bolton
    Hall & Oates
    Train
    Etta Fitzgerald
    Tony Bennett
    Steve Miller Band
    Monkees
    Fleetwood Mac
    Doobie Brothers (5)
    Chicago (5)
    Moody Blues
    Little Feat
    Grand Funk Railroad
    and more.....

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't mention this, since these were not "concerts" per se, but more like bar shows. I remember what became Sha Na Na when I was back in HS (we could legally drink at 18 back then) and they played some divey bars and a few not so divey places back long before they were nationally famous. This was really before 50s nostalgia became cool and mainstream. This woulda been right about the time that American Pie was about to hit the charts.

• Like Like x 1
  3. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to check it Sha Na Na did play at Woodstock, for 90 seconds it said! I thought I remembered that. They spawned a number of retro rock groups including one here in western Wa called Jr Cadillac. They did well in the 70s and 80s. In fact, they played the club I ran a few times. Not a fan of the leader, but they packed the place. I loved the warning Ned would give after the first couple of songs. Something like "If you came to hear anything like that Styx shit, you might as well haul your ass outa here now." Straight on rock and roll, period. And they were smart. Their equipment was old and beat up, but very functional.They rarely played more than one or two nights, bumping the nightly ave up. Unlike most musicians, they treated it like a business.When Chuck Berry came to town, they usually backed him. I had a great time back then. BTW, the phrase "Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll" wasn't a slogan dreamed up on 5th Ave!

4. wwcd

wwcd Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first concert was in 1975 on a double date with a new guy I just started seeing (now my husband...awww). Alice Cooper “Welcome to my nightmare” tour . OMG, what a theatrical production.

Then, our first concert after we moved away and were living together was in 1977. Queen, so great, with opening band Cheap Trick.

Ya can’t beat live music.

5. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never saw those bands in their primes. I bet that was quite a show. I've seen CT in recent years and Rick Nielsen can still shred, but bummed that Bun E. Carlos retired long ago.

Thanksgiving with my sister!
  6. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Joespoolhall
    I gather you saw Sha Na Na before Bauser took over ?
    But.....Bauser was in the band, then .......just not the frontman ?
    BTW
    The genesis of Sha Na Na is fairly interesting !

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They started at Columbia.

8. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Wait a minute ?.....
    It's " Bowser "........not "Bauser "......right ?

9. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's Bowzer.
    [​IMG]

His name is Jon Bauman.

He actually had a gig for awhile co-hosting a weird Match Game/Hollywood Squares mashup, and I think he might have done some game show on his own, can't remember.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And he dines with Arthur Fonzarelli at the Carnegie Deli. :)

11. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So many memories, I tend to save ticket stubs in the day. Seeing Rush in 1979 for example. 8.50 for tickets 4D12917D-838A-4086-AF85-99BBE2470FD1.jpeg 38C9F1A2-79A8-4018-875F-7AD7E0B699E9.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  12. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First was Black Oak Arkansas/Black Sabbath 1972 or so in Asbury Park NJ

Springsteen many times at the Stone Pony,never in a 'concert' setting

Muddy Waters/Cheech and Chong

ZZtop/Foghat

Patti Smith/the Ramones

Frank Zappa 4 times in the NYC/NJ area notable was a Halloween show

Pink Floyd Twice Animals/Wishyou were here tours.Outdoors Roosevelt stadium Jersey City NJ

Seals and Crofts but did not make it inside.Arrested in Ocean Grove NJ for Marijuana possession before the show with friends

Triumvirate/Blue Oyster Cult

Jimmy Buffett Volcano tour Front row of Garden State Arts center an amphitheater in Holmdel NJ

Billy Preston/The Stones Madison Square Garden NYC 1975

Eric Clapton Brendan Byrne arena Meadowlands NJ (My car was stolen and found in Brooklyn a few days later)

Tears for Fears same venue as above

Santana outdoors Garden State Arts Center NJ

Eagles opening for the Beach Boys Roosevelt Stadium outdoors.They blew the beach boys away..

1974 or so we had tickets to see 10cc/Blue Oyster Cult in a warehouse general admission venue in Asbury Park
    The BOC cancelled and the new lineup was Truth Renaissance and the final act.
    The final act come out and we were like WTF?? Who the F are these creepy ass guys?Why the F is this guy spitting fire over our stoned heads??
    Yeah the band was Kiss right before their first album came out..never got into them after that night...

Just thought of another funny one..1910 Fruitgum company in some bar in Grand Rapids MI.Thier hit was Yummy Yummy Yummy I got love in my tummy!!

I'm sure there have been more I probably forgetting a couple.

Edit to add the Cars,consectutive nights in NJ/Spectrum Philadelphia

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ooh! Just remembered another one of that genre.

Flash Cadillac and the Continental Kids. They were touring back when I was in college (undergrad) and they really put on a good show! They appeared in the American Graffiti film and, of course, they frequently reminded the audience of that fact, in case they happened to forget it. :)

Fast forward several years ... I was in the Santa Monica area and my attention was drawn to this Fillmore East styled silkscreened concert poster in the window of a curio shop. Uh-huh, it was for FCatCC appearing at some high school gym. I wondered what happened to them. :)

14. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't go to concerts very often. I prefer the "studio" sound . . .

The first concert I ever went to was in the early 80's. Bill Medley, Juice Newton, and Alabama.

Borgata Atlantic City - 2 nights comped
    (tentative) First HGS weekend
  15. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure I'm missing a couple from the 70's lol. I spent a lot of time in clubs in the early 80's and saw too many punk-ish/hardcore/new wave bands to count or remember, some of which were pretty well-known, but none of which graduated out of clubs except maybe X and Extreme.

70's
    Beach Boys/Chicago
    Elton John
    Outlaws/Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Rick Derringer/Aerosmith
    Robin Trower
    Jethro Tull
    Nils Lofgren
    The Cars/Rick Derringer

80's
    James Brown
    The Police
    Bowie (Serious Moonlight)
    J Geils Band
    David Johansen Group
    The Pretenders
    Bowie (Glass Spiders)
    Aerosmith
    U2 (Joshua Tree)
    Guns'N Roses/Aerosmith
    Rolling Stones

90's
    Pixies/U2 (ZooTV indoor)
    U2 (ZooTV stadium)
    U2 (PopMart)

00's
    U2 (Elevation)
    U2 (Vertigo)
    ZZ Top/Aerosmith (Vegas)

10's
    B52's (Vegas)
    Aerosmith (Vegas)

20's
    Tool (Vegas)

Worst concert story:

Had 2nd row tickets on the field to U2 ZooTV stadium show. Brought a camera with a zoom telephoto lens that was about 6 inches long. To get through security, shoved the camera body down my pants and tied the zoom lens to the back of sister-in-law's leg with shoelaces (they were looser about frisking women).

Get in fine. Before the show starts, had to use the bathroom, which meant going up into the stands. Start back down to the field, found I didn't have my ticket stub. Watched the whole show from a ramp on the 2nd level, and the rest of my party had no idea what happened until afterwards.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

Actually, I tend to prefer bar shows to arena concerts. More up close and personal. More earthy. Less theatrical. Less over-produced.

(Yeah, I know that is a sucky photo on a sucky day, but last time in the area that was the only opportunity I had to play hookey for a few hours and do a photo walk.)

And no, I never got to see Springsteen (or SSJ/AJ) there.

LOL, not that I would ever admit to being an expert on bubble gum pop, but IIRC, it was Ohio Express that did YYY and not 1910FGC. However (comma) I always thought that for all of those Kasenetz-Katz groups, they more or less used the same set of studio musicians and vocalists, so one may indeed be the other. :)

I'm very surprised they toured as a group. I certainly don't remember it. Not that I would ever admit going even if I did, which I did not. :) :)

Back in the Jr. High years, the [email protected]$$ punks who thought they were soooooo cool would step up to a young lady and sing "Yummy yummy yummy I got a kid in my tummy" loud enough to be heard clearly by all present. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard that Southside Johnny and the Jukes were going to do a Drive-in concert at nearby Monmouth Park racetrack next week.I would imagine they would have a 'surprise' guest also...

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OOOOooooh, I would love that! Too bad Jersey is 1300 miles away!

19. vegascurley

vegascurley Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first true concert was at ohio state university st Johns arena. Saw Mountain and J. Geils Band. Got so trashed I passed out and my *buddies* left me at the arena. Somehow found my way back to the dormitory..was staying with a friend overnight. Knew his room number but missed the right floor by a digit. Every other floor housed boys then girls. Yep stayed all night with a bunch of girls....They didn't know it and I didn't either till the morning. I crashed right inside the door so I wouldn't wake anyone up. Well what a surprise when 6 girls woke me up wondering who I was. That was the start of many memorable concerts. Aw to be young again.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Chuck2009x
    I need more info on "X" !!!!!!
    Where and when ?
    Was their first album out or after first or second album ?
    Just a time frame ..... DETAILS !
    I loved " X ".......did a bunch of their songs on stage
    But i never saw them, live........I wonder how that happened ?.....slipped by me ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.