1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Comping two drinks at $1 VP?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by wigwam_salesman, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have played ALOT of VP at Sully's at Bally's. Most of the time I am either by myself or playing with hubbie who is also playing. But there have been numerous times where one of my kids or another travelling partner will join me for a bit, perhaps before dinner or something and the bartenders will most definately give them a drink and put the slip in my glass. It has never been an issue. Now, I would never expect them to comp a companion's drink all night, but a couple here and there has never been an issue, even top shelf.

I agree with other posters, if you plan on being there awhile, either throw a $20 in her machine or run a tab for her. I have found many times running a tab for someone that doesn't atually know how to play VP is much cheaper in the long run.

Have fun!

2. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I occasionally had "free drink" difficulties when I used to frequent the Strip and often found that "free" cost at least $20. However, now that I stay downtown and off-Strip exclusively, mostly at Boyd/Coast properties, free is no longer an issue. Most of the time, the cocktail waitresses couldn't care less if I'm playing or not and often offer drinks even before sitting down. Non-playing companions are usually accommodated as well, and this is at 25-cent denominations! It's usually the same at the bars, and non-playing companions are usually given free drinks as well. Tipping well keeps them coming. So much depends on WHERE you play.

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No problem at Ballys last month.

VP bar down at the south end ,1 machine ,two drinks ,bartenders nice also.T he bar in Paris also,surprised the hell outta me.

4. panmalv

panmalv Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great question. DW and I played VP for hours at various bars at the Cosmopolitan a couple of weeks ago. It was amazing the different policies we encountered, even at the same bar. Typically only one of us was playing, but at max hand and for a while. One waitress encouraged us to both order whatever we wanted, including specialty drinks. At the same bar the next day, we ordered two drinks and were charged for one of them, and at another bar (in the Cosmo) the bartender said we both needed to play for comp drinks. I am fine with all those scenarios, but I wish they would be more consistent and better communicated up front. By the way, I always tip very well.

One question for the audience of experts: how exactly do you recommend approaching the bartender on this issue as you sit down to play VP? I feel crass sitting down at a very nice bar and saying, "Hey, I'm going to play max hand for a while -- can I have some free drinks for my wife and me?" Does anybody have any better language or other tips? I just hate ordering something when I don't know what it costs up front.

5. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those unexpected drink costs can cut into your budget. I remember DH and I were at the Paris race book. He was at the front finishing up his race betting and I was waiting for him to join me at the back tables so we could watch a baseball game. He had gotten two comped drinks from the waitress and brought them to our table. Next to us, a group of 6-8 guys ordered drinks and when she brought them told them the tab and I could see they were shocked. Free drinks in the front of the race book but not in the back. That is the kind of stuff you need to know...and the only way is to ask upfront.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.