1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Coming over from Scotland in Jan.!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by bignig135, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bignig135

bignig135 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi there everyone,
    My wife and I are coming over for our 16th year in a row, having immediately fallen in love with Vegas on our initial trip and we just haven't found anywhere as pleasurable since!
    Although we don't drink ( I know, amazing for a Scotsman ) or gamble on the tables, preferring to stick to the slots, we always come over for a fortnight and never run out of things to do.We usually take in quite a few shows and go back to any we really enjoy, e.g. Legends which changes line ups frequently and never disappoints. I've overheard other tourists, including Americans say that 2/3 nights is enough time for Vegas but I can only assume they have very limited imaginations! One of the reasons we stay for so long each time is due to the dreaded jet-lag and to be able to take our time enjoying and relaxing everything!
    Obviously not all is perfect in Sin City, the 2 main annoyances being the dreaded timeshare touts and the introduction of almost universal resort fees. We noticed that the touts target couples so whenever we see them ahead we split up from each other and that usually does the trick! The resort fees are a real pain and we wish the hotels would just increase the room rates and be more upfront and honest.
    One unique problem we experience is that neither of us drink tea or coffee or alcohol, drinking diet cola or lemonade mostly, so up until last year we have wasted time heaving bagfuls back to our room regularly as the hotel shops are extortionately expensive, we buy in CVS or Walgreens in bulk. Last year, we trundled our suitcases to the nearest Walgreens and bought 16 2litre bottles in one go, which was very embarrassing but saved a few trips!
    We are aware that the hotels frown on any deliveries by supermarkets, although strangely pizza shops put flyers under your hotel door, does anyone know of any firms who do provide a discreet delivery service for food or soft drinks? Thanks.
    In all our trips, we haven't seen any trouble or violence, although when we visit Fremont St., we notice that within a very short distance of the light show, the atmosphere changes and you definitely need to be a bit more careful. We have read that the buffet at Main St. Station hotel is very good, does anyone know if that area is safe enough to walk round?
    Great to find this site, best wishes to all!:wave:

2. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board! We totally understand your addiction....lol. Hope you have a really great trip!!

3. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a woman and have walked between Fremont St. and MSS countless times. It is not unsafe at all. The worst you will run into is the occasional homeless person, but they have never asked me for anything. I highly recommend a visit to MSS. It is a cool and unique place!

Welcome to the board, and have a great trip! :peace:

4. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That brought a funny image to mind but anything goes in Vegas!! There were probably a few other customers around who admired your wisdom :thumbsup:

The buffet is good. I've never heard of any problems in that area for walking. If you want, you can exit the rear door of Las Vegas Club, cross the street (well lit) to the California Club, go upstairs and take the overhead walkway to Main Street Station. But I don't think that's necessary, it's safe to walk the streets in that area.

5. kaycee2

kaycee2 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MSS buffet

Welcome Bignig135! My quotes dont work on my tablet but I wanted to say that we ate at the lunch buffet at MSS today and it was ok. I would not go back anytime soon.
    I gotta say, I am shocked as a Scotsman you or your wife dont drink! Im Irish(same tribe different teepee) and I also dont drink, now the rest of my family-YEP!
    Yall have a great 16th trip! :thumbsup:

6. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi and welcome. Hope you have a great time.

After suffering jetlag from London and trying everything imaginable I have got to grips with it. Night Nurse capsules x 2 (nighttime as they make you drowsy) and 2 x 10mg Melatonin slow release from CVS or Walgreens. Works in Vegas and when back at home. Not much jetlag for me any more at long last.

It was costing me a lot every year from the UK in hotel charges so I actually bought a timeshare at Hilton behind Flamingo. Bought it on the Internet for about $12k and it's saved me a fortune over the years in hotel fees. Costs about £700 a year maintenance for 7000 points, plus a $49 booking fee, and that gives me 5 weeks in a studio. A great deal. Timeshare is ok if you don't pay what the companies charge and you are going to use it. Stayed there last time for 3 nights and then 5 at Flamingo. No comparison. Timeshare wins hands down. One of my better decisions in life, lol.

7. mganut

mganut Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi and welcome to the board!

One way that we have found to avoid the annoying timeshare hustlers is by telling them that we are leaving that afternoon/evening or that we are not married to each other...that usually results in them moving on quickly.

Good luck!

8. bignig135

bignig135 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for everyone who has replied so far, nice that this is an active messageboard, Happy New Year to all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.