1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Classic WSOP broadcasts

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by mwig, Apr 22, 2021.

1. mwig

mwig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently subscribed to pokergo because I was curious about some of the old WSOP events. I started watching from the very first main that was televised. There are some great episodes in the mix. THEN I got to 1999. I'm assuming that's when Becky Binion Behnen really began the destruction of the Binion's Horseshoe. The TV coverage that year was painful to watch.

2003 is when "modern" style coverage started. I would have loved to see some modern coverage earlier than that to be able to do a deeper dive into the play of Stu Ungar. I think the old school players back in the 70's would have been a lot of fun to play with. For the most part they seemed to have great personalities. They all talk about the edge that experience gives them. In reality I think the biggest edge then (and now) is the pros disregard for the value of money. They play like it doesn't matter and that gives them a huge advantage over the masses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in Vegas when the 1995 final table was being filmed for ESPN so I watched for a little but. When Barbara Enright busted out you can briefly see me in the background. I remember I really couldn't see much, and without knowing the hole cards it wasn't very entertaining.

Hanging with Pete again
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PokerGo is really good value, imo.

Only trouble is, I barely get to use my account now that my old man knows they have all the WSOP Main Events on the site :cry::evillaugh:

1st Stop for some Wynning
    Frolics on Fremont!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best part was always Norman Chad spending 30% of the time talking about poker and 70% talking about his ex-wives.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Him and Lon help the whole thing fit together so well.

The new season of High Stakes Poker is superb.

Really great to have AJ & Gabe back in the booh.

1st Stop for some Wynning
    Frolics on Fremont!
  6. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A slight thread hijack: About seven years ago I was playing in a summer Binion's tournament. I held A-J & flopped A-J-x just before the bubble. Barbara Enright & I get it All In. She had pocket Jacks. Boo hoo. :cry:

• Like Like x 2
  7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's an Limit final table from the mid 00s with James McManus, TJ Cloutier and Ellix Powers. Powers was quite the character and played in low limit games at the Nugget, Binion's and Plaza. He passed away a few years ago, unfortunately.

8. Ol' Hoag

Ol' Hoag Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to you guys, I'm now a PokerGo subscriber. It is a very interesting service. Money well spent. Thanks for the tip. Regarding the old broadcasts, it struck that even from back in the 70's how some things (chatter and reaction to hands) haven't changed much at all ...and yet some are much, much different. Interesting time capsule. Great history lesson and tribute to the fact poker started long before Moneymaker.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mwig

mwig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm really enjoying PokerGo. I've been watching just older WSOP stuff but I know the offerings are much more extensive than that. I was never big on televised poker and the thing that has surprised me is just how many of these people I've played with not even knowing who they were. I almost never play cash games but frequently play in WSOP circuit events if they are close to home. I also played in a WPT Aruba final years ago which is obviously where I met a lot of them. That Aruba set up is unique and very cool. Everyone staying mainly at one resort makes it really fun.

10. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I watch televised poker sporadically, but had a similar experience to you. Years ago in my early days of high limit gambling, I was playing baccarat in the Aria high limit. Including me, there was four of us at the table. The gentleman sitting across from me at the other end of the table seemed much more interested in talking and slow playing than I was accustomed to (hadn't played much baccarat to that point in my life). A poker playing buddy of mine came up and sat behind me for the last half hour or so that we played. After I colored up and left the table, my buddy asked if I knew who the older guy was at the other end of the table. I said I had no idea. He knew. It was Sam Farha, lol

11. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recommend the new season of High Stakes Poker- Gabe and AJ are back and still great (I need to finish watching myself, I fell behind and still have a few episodes to go).