1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Clark County Approves Plan for Boring Company's Vegas Loop

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Sonya, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/traffic/underground-travel-in-strip-stadium-areas-closer-to-reality-watch-live-2463119/

Clark County Commissioners approved plans for the Boring Co.’s Vegas Loop system Wednesday, moving the Elon Musk-owned transportation company closer to starting to dig the underground tunnels.

The approval of a 50-year franchise agreement between the county and Boring sets the stage for the permitting process to begin, which would lead to the start of construction of the 15-mile dual loop system.

Boring’s plan calls for a mostly underground system operating mainly in the Resort Corridor with stations at various resorts and connections to Allegiant Stadium and UNLV. Riders will be transported via private Tesla model vehicles.

The county’s approval is only for the alignment of the proposed route. Each one of the planned 51 stops will need separate land use permits approved before being developed.

Here is a map of the proposed project, at this point.

vegasloop.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All that and only 15 miles? Seems like over-kill to do Garage Mahal and Plaza. Anyway, I hope it's a successful, cheap, dependable, and fast.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

It sounds great, but I wonder how they stop bottle necks when 20,000 riders want to go the stadium, arena or convention center all at the same time. Also I find that designers never take into account how much longer the elderly and handicap take to enter and exit transportation vehicles. With all the point to point travel I would assume that it is very computer dependent and heaven forbid if they ever have a computer crash.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Matt9090

Matt9090 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just sharing this video about how the Elon tunnel is basically a VC scam.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is that? Apologize for my ignorance but couldn't sit through the video. Seemed badly produced.

NFL Wild Card Weekend!
  6. Farner

Farner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if this is mainly a test case to show the world the system at play. I can’t imagine (no offense to those living in Vegas) that there are not many other places in the world that would need the tunnels more and suffer more from congestion.

7. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree, I don't think this is really mass transit...
    "dynamic" /surge pricing?

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, Elon and gang has the capital to pull this one off, so don't scoff at it.

9. 1867

1867 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As an ex miner, the first thing I think is, subsidence problems in the future ? It appears the tunnels are going directly under the hotels ? That's a hell of a lot of weight to help mother nature to start shifting ?

Tuscany suites
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gonna be interesting. Boring is one thing. Dealing with 50 years worth of underground utilities is another.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 A Diamond in the Ruff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did some research into Elon's Boring company. Is it just me, or is it not very interesting?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Non-engineer here but I thought the same thing. Also, what about the integrity of the drainage tunnels? I am sure that will be all addressed before the start of construction. :rolleyes:

13. Timothy

Timothy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess you could say it’s a boring company.

(Please, throw those rocks gently :D)

4th time's a charm?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I assume it means Venture Capital Scam. I didn't watch the whole video either, but it does seem to highlight many of the criticisms of the Vegas Loop when it was going in at the Convention Center. It seems like if you're not a fan of Elon, you'll like the video, but if you are a fan, you'll hate it. Oh Internet, I love you so.

That makes sense. He's got a favorable group of supporters in Clark County who seem to be willing to give him room to try this. The "privately funded" part had me skeptical. It makes more sense if this is privately funded as a "test case" and then will be sold off to other cities in the future. But I have no idea if that's the case or not.

This is still very preliminary.

Long way to go before any plan is final and the boring boring part happens. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dripping with sarcasm. Love it!

Unfortunately, without VC I doubt this nation ever moves forward with any innovative transportation options. While I'm not equating this project with high speed rail, I find it pathetic that virtually all of the first world nations have it. Japan has over 1,500 miles worth. Europe has three times that much. And China currently has up to 5,000 miles of it under construction.

But, in America, we can't agree on 15 miles of fast trains in the most popular city in the nation.

NFL Wild Card Weekend!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To make this work, they're going to need vehicles that hold more people than the average Tesla. The current loop near the convention center is a good test case, but it's either going to cost taxi costs or need to be able to surge large numbers of people.

I'm no engineer, but since these are very narrow tunnels, the engineering may be simpler than large subway tunnels. These are one-way tunnels. The only thing that concerns me is escape in case of a fire or crash. According to one report, drivers have to train backing their way out of the entire length of the tunnel for emergencies, which seems sub-optimal.

• Agree Agree x 3