1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cheapo Solo Poker Trip 4/23-4/25-4/27

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by didyouhaveit, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. didyouhaveit

didyouhaveit MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Lost job recently so I got some flexible free time. Found super low fare (<$40 RT) on Frontier for a quick Mon.-Wed. trip, put some clothes in my backpack, and off I went. Mainly to play 1/3 NLHE - tried to make some $$.

Monday - thanks to my AMEX card, I could grab some bites at Club SJC, which was perfect as it was right outside my gate. The offerings were usually simple sandwiches, soup, and cup o' noodles, but something's better than nothing, right? It was nice to grab a bottle of water for the road too.

Arrived at LAS, and the gate as always was near the Centurion lounge, so I went to grab a nicer dinner: fried chicken, salad, udon soup, and panna cotta dessert. I don't drink too much so only got some soda water. As soon as I walked in, I spotted this petite blonde walking around on her cell. She was stylish in her short leopard print jacket, jogger pants, and white sneakers. I looked for her face and finally confirmed who I thought she was: Michelle Williams. She was really pretty, and skinny.

I used to play lots of BJ, so had a comped room at the Gold Coast - the offers will dry up eventually as I'm staying away from BJ (having lost too much). Had also booked Tue.-Thu. at the Palms to pick up $50. First stop, took Uber (with free monthly credits from AMEX) to the Bellagio for some poker. Didn't get good hands, played too loose, got rivered too many times, and after 3 hours I was already down $500. Took Uber to GC at 3am and called it a night.

• Like Like x 2
  2. didyouhaveit

didyouhaveit MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tuesday - woke up late, had some hot pot lunch at the Noodle Exchange, and got my $10 free match bet that came with the room. Had to play some $25 BJ for that match bet. Was up $100, ended up losing $100 after the dealer didn't bust when I split and doubled. Disgusted that I didn't resist playing BJ, I left for the free shuttle to the Linq. There's this gelato shop, Amorino, that I really liked, except I didn't get any, since for the second time in two months, they didn't have my favorite hazelnut again. As I was walking through the Flamingo (hadn't really decide on where I was going to yet), I saw the poker tables and sat down.

Lost my first buy-in after my KK got rivered by J8s calling all-in chasing a flush and got it. Bought in again and slowly built back up. Guy next to me hit the quads of the day and got a quick $300! Some young guys came and sat after me, always raising, so I changed to another seat. Patience paid off and finally let them raise into me when I had the nut straight. As it got later, the table became crazier. An older lady came and became everyone's favorite player. She loved to go all-in on a bluff or a draw. But she got some good pots as well as she did have the nuts a few times. I was going to leave to grab some dinner but ended up staying and just ate a cereal bar I took from the lounge. Lol. In a hand with me, she went all-in when the board paired up on the river, made me doubt whether my J-high flush was good. It was 2am and after thinking a bit I called her thinking that I'd just go to bed if I'd lost. She hit the trips and it was a good try...but not good enough. I was up just shy of $200 and as much as I'd wanted to keep playing with her, I was too tired so I racked up. Took Uber to the Palms at 4am to check in. I stayed in a different tower from my last time here - the room was nice, liked the Gilchrist and Soames toiletries, and the most impressive was the powerful BabylissPro blow dryer! I've stayed in most Vegas hotels before and have never seen a good blow dryer until now.

Wednesday - Woke up at 11am and grabbed some beef noodle soup in the Palms new Chinese eatery. It was not bad, but bit smaller and a tad more expensive than at the GC. Picked up my free $50 and felt like I should give them some play. So I sat down at a $25 DD BJ, and it was rocky at first. Then I was winning a couple bills. Then I lost 6 hands in a row and lost all $500. I was so stubborn that I changed $500 more. I was bound to win, right? I kept increasing my bet after each loss until it was $125. Got a pair of 7s on the dealer's 5. Split. Another 7. Split. Yes...another 7! I had to take out another bill to split. Got a 9, 8, K, and 6. Just great, wonderful. She'd better bust. Luckily she did! Phew. :clap: I was up $300 but was waiting for my drink and lost $100 back. I got my drink and left up $200. No more BJ!

Took the free shuttle to Caesar's and walked to the Bellagio. Gotta grind some before my flight. Was up a stack quickly but then it was gone just as quickly. I was still down a little from the first night and wanted to get even. Couldn't get to even before I had to rack up go to the airport at T-50. As I was cashing the chips I tried to do mobile check in, but couldn't as it was too late. I figured by the time I get to the airport I wouldn't be able to check in anyway. So...there was no way I was getting on the flight now. Oh well, it was a cheap fare.

I sat back down my old seat and the table welcomed me back. Haha. At least I still had the room at the Palms. However, Frontier doesn't fly on Thursdays, so I'd have to take another airline for much higher fares, or leave on Friday. DH found a comped room for me at the Excalibur, just had to pay the $40 resort fee. Well then, I'd stay two extra nights. :goofy:

Played until past 8pm and was up some stacks that could cover both the old and new airfare. Had a myVegas free buffet at the Excalibur and I cashed out. Took the tram to Park MGM, walked to NYNY, then to the Excalibur. There was always a long line at the MLife desk, and finally got to the buffet at half hour before closing. Afterwards I went to Luxor to use my $15 myVegas free match play, which ended up costing me $60. Damn it - really, no more BJ!!!

I walked all the way to Aria to play some more poker. Was up, was down, and finally at close to 6am I cashed out up 2 bills. Went back to the Palms and asked for late check out at 1pm. Except I woke up at 10am to the construction drilling sounds. Tried to sleep some more with ear plugs, but housekeeping kept knocking well before 1pm. It was quite annoying. Was going to complain at check out but the front desk didn't even ask how my stay was.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. didyouhaveit

didyouhaveit MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thursday - Took Uber to NYNY to use my third myVegas reward at Nine Fine Irishmen. It covered a beer, a pot pie, and a dessert. The staff there were super friendly, but the food was not to my taste - will try a different dish next time. Was not too hungry and took the dessert to go - but didn't end up eating it as the bread pudding was too hot and melted the plastic box they put it in! I took the beer to go, and went to Aria for more grinding. Was doing well until a bad all-in call and my big pair was killed by a lower pair that turned a set. Bought in again and built back up. Ordered dinner at the table, I was able to get some duck noodle soup from the Lemongrass restaurant comped. Did well and at past 1am I was tired and cashed out with 8 stacks. Walked to the Excalibur and checked in. The day before I'd walked a mile, and half mile this day. Was tempted and put my name down for the poker, but since there was a wait I went up to the room first. My room was at the end of the hallway and I was too tired to walk back down. So washed up and slept. I'd stay here before and knew to not have high expectations. I barely spend time in the room anyway. Still, compared to the Palms this place was a dump: no tub, unknown toiletries, the carpet felt wet, sheets a bit harsh.

Friday - Woke up quite early at 8am. Tried to go back to sleep but couldn't. Played on my phone a bit and finally went down just after 11am. Had wanted to play poker this morning since they have an Aces cracked promo, but there was only one table and a wait list and I had no time to waste. I waited for 10 minutes and left for Aria. Got there and ordered wonton soup for lunch, comped again - I did put in quite many hours here! Was up a stack, then down 1.5 stack, then up a stack again. Didn't want to miss my flight again so I left after 3 hours of play.

Looking back, I'd missed my flight since I really didn't want to leave a loser. For staying two extra nights, I'd made enough to cover all expenses and two buy-ins for my next trip.:woot:Until next time...(next month???)

• Like Like x 3
  4. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED The biggest Degenerate on VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you’re in the Bay Area and tech sector and unemployed, shoot me a message

Back with a bundle! (OF CASH!)
  5. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief bottle washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn, you're a cash game balla! 4am, 6am, 6am, purposefully missing flights to play more poker. Hell id buy you a cocktail to hear a recap of the better hands you were involved in...Great TR hopefully you'll do another in a few weeks..

We need more ladies playing the game to.

Football and poker
    • Like Like x 1
  6. didyouhaveit

didyouhaveit MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks!

Have always been a night owl. TBH it was a blur now with so little sleep...:snore: Only awake at the tables. Haha.

There was this one hand when I was running hot: raised 6.5bb utg w/TT, short stack guy called, always raising guy also called, flopped T74, I bet 10bb (should've checked), guy hummed and said "you can't always have a hand" and shoved $85 all-in, the other guy folded. Had I checked, the short stack would've bet and the other guy would probably call like he usually did, then I could've gotten more. I said "I have to call w/my set." The guy flips over KTo and said "I can't believe you have it!" He left, and I suddenly remembered - wait did he call 6.5bb w/KTo? Too bad he didn't stay.

7. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report! We are taking those cheap Frontier flights ourselves. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. theghost

theghost Stuck at work, but should find a poker table

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing......always fun to hear the poker stories :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. ncpokeresq

ncpokeresq Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While the answer always depends and can vary based on stack sizes between you and the calling station, with the flopped set of tens, betting is the play, IMO. There are a lot of cards that can hit a straight on the turn, and given that there is only one Ten left no reason to put short stack on top pair which he is going to shove. Betting half pot should not scare out the hands you want calling, evidence the short stack shove, and does allow you to build a pot.
    Like you, I try to support my blackjack habit with poker winnings!

• Like Like x 1
  10. didyouhaveit

didyouhaveit MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm really trying to remove myself from BJ! Have already been dropped by CET from Diamond to Gold...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.