1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cheap under $100 home printer

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So easy to install and use a caveman (me) can do it. May go 2 weeks at a time between uses. Dont need color. Just simple and cheap. May run out to Staples,Best Buy ,Walmart Replacing a HP scan,copy fax. Rarely scaned, never faxed.

2. Geoff Kruse

Geoff Kruse Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you just need to print occasionally, I would just look for the cheapest HP B&W inkjet you can find and have it shipped direct to you or to the local store. It's hard to tell sometimes whether they have a given printer in stock at the local store.

I haven't looked at printers in years, but it looks to me like the best price on an HP is $39.99 for the HP Envy 5010:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-5010-all-in-one-instant-ink-ready-printer-black/6304811.p?skuId=6304811
    Has all types of connections/inputs, including plain old USB.

They have an HP Deskjet 1112 for the same price if you want to go wild and buy a color one.

Sam's Club has the Envy 5010 at the same price. Looks like Staples, Office Depot, etc are all charging twice as much for the same or similar. And Amazon and Walmart about $60.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn inkjets dry up and have to toss the cartridges sometimes. After tossing a few cheap printers, I finally bought a cheap laser - around $100. Yea, the cartridges run $50-$60 bucks, but they never dry up and last forever. Bought my current printer over 10 years ago. The few times I wanted color... well... I managed just fine.

No, it does not scan, but I can do that with my phone.

Just one more idea to add to your confusion.

5. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Figure out your printing needs (pages per month, photo requirements), and then make a decision.

Although inkjets are "cheap" up front, they are sold at a "loss" that way by the manufacturer because they will "make up" the money on the back end, ESPECIALLY HP, who builds theit print heads into the cartridge.

However, with the following notes:

1) I am a techie, and often experiment with things like the "refillable reservoir" for Canon printers
    2)I also refill my own cartridges since Meritline went out of business.

IMHO, I would stick with Canon or Epson because of the "lower" cost of ink refills.

If you don't have any color/photo requirements, an inexpensive B/W laser printer should do. That's what I got for my son. It has a wireless connection so I could put it anywhere in his room (near power, of course).

Some (I have three Laser Printers in the house) of my B/W needs are serviced by a Laser Printer that is over 20 years old. I have a spare sitting in the garage.

First GGWU trip, but perhaps cancellable if I don't do well at CNY
    MGM Cotai and MGM Macau along with Resorts World Genting Malaysia
  6. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    36 Hours in Vegas
  7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Chuck I'll ,check those out at Best Buy. I bought my tower computer there and the one guy really knew his stuff.

8. Vegas28m

Vegas28m Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a laser because inkjet dry out and buy replacement cartridges on amazon for less than 1/2 price

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. marksind

marksind Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you go inkjet, consider a Canon. They are a little more up front (though a lot of models are well under $100) but you can use cheap after-market cartridges in them. HP and Epson have pretty much made that impossible. I've used Canons for years and have had good experience with pretty much any after-market cartridges I've bought. And they can be had really cheap, like an entire set for $15.

10. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've switched to laser printing.
    My printing needs have changed dramatically over the years.
    I don't need/want to print photos.
    I don't even print in color.

Usually I need a shipping label, a receipt or a copy of something.
    I need wireless & fast printing ....just black cartridge is fine.

I was diehard HP for computers and printers over 20 years....but I finally had it.
    crappy driver updates, compatibility issues and no tech support.
    (Still like HP computers ...just not the inkjet printers)

The inkjet cartridges dry up if you don't use them within 2 months and they are ridiculously expensive.
    NO I do NOT want to have an ink subscription plan.
    You are out of your flipping mind.

The thing that threw me over the edge was the wireless printing kept resetting itself.
    It's NOT wireless if I have to troubleshoot and uninstall/reinstall it all the time.

I might need to print a replacement manual of 50 pages one day and then nothing again for a week or two
    laser printing makes more sense for me.

My S-I-L GAVE me a Dell 1135 when her work replaced their printers.
    $500 printer - FREE! Thanks!
    Wireless works great on it...prints fast and I'm still on the cartridge it came with.
    Cartridges are $60 direct from Dell with free shipping
    Each toner cartridge gets about 1100 pages.
    Noice!

WTF Surprise HUBS LV No Roller RELAX Trip
    LV Secret HUBS trip NGO
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Laser over ink-jet.

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently got a Canon TS5020 for regular office type documents and such. Set-up was so easy it was scary! No cables, all wireless. It just sits there and works first time, every time. I have yet to have a paper jam or anything annoying like that.

It was $69-ish at Nebraska Furniture Mart, but I'm sure it's sold almost everywhere.

It seems like printers, anymore, are almost a disposable item!

14. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If $100 is in your budget, I wouldn't disagree with the people who say get a laser if you can find one at that price. I bought a basic Brother model at least 5 years ago, it probably cost about $200 then, and I'm still on the original cartridge, I only print a few pages a year at this point and I haven't had any problems.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  15. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. DDB

DDB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I completely gave up on having a home printer. My wife had an inkjet with 5 cartridges, and no matter what one cartridge would always be empty. We rarely used the thing and the heads would dry up. So, we run the head cleaner, then another cartridge (or two) would run out. Forget it.

We now just go to the library and use their printers for 10 cents a page.

These laser printers y'all speak of might work for us though.

17. h0llywood

h0llywood High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 on brother. I have 4 in my office and they are great for small printing and the high yield ink will last you a lot longer than traditional ink jet. Also for that price range, it also comes with copying, scanning, and comes with great software like Paperport that allows you to scan PDFs directly as OCR.

Birthday Weekend
    Why not?
  18. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to all ,I went to my local Best Buy and bought a HP office jet 3830.$59 in my price range. They didnt have the $39 models and the printer cord I still have hooked up so I didnt need that. There was a $49 Epsom also ,but I figured I might just spend an extra $10 . This was on its own display in the middle of the isle whatever that means. Of course the cords from the old printer dont fit so I guess I'll have to go the wireless route.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1