1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Chase Southwest Visa Companion Pass promo

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by bruceb, Jan 10, 2019.

1. bruceb

bruceb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HHFan

HHFan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I missed the bit about only being good through the end of this year on the initial read. Still a nice opportunity, but if you’re serious about a companion pass you should jump through the hoops for a business and personal card.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. STPFan

STPFan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just finished up our spending for my husbands personal and business card and he will have the companion pass for 19 and 20. We have alternated getting the two cards and one of us has had a companion pass for the past 6 years. It is really worth it if you get both. It was really nice before the restriction on having more than one personal card kicked in. You used to be able to do it without business cards.

However since business cards are also getting harder and harder, I see this as a good alternative for those who can't get two cards in a year. If this becomes a regular offer a couple could pull off continuous passes. Year One - Partner 1 gets the card for 2019 (cancels prior to annual renewal). Year Two - Partner 2 gets the card for 2020 (cancels prior to annual renewal.) Year Three Partner 1 is eligible to reapply for the card and receive the bonus 24 months after receiving the 2019 bonus. and so on. But it is a big IF on this being a regular offer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AllenAndRossi

AllenAndRossi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    However, now through Feb. 11, you can pick up a Companion Pass for the rest of 2019 plus 30,000 Rapid Rewards points after you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months simply by opening one of the following cards:

Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card
    Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card
    Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2019
  5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WARNING - make sure the link that you apply with has the Companion Card offer if that is what you want. You can get a regular card with more miles but not this offer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am sure that this is a great deal for some, but I am just wondering what the interest rate would be. I get that it depends on a persons financial history. We have credit scores in the 800's and our SWCC is at 18.25%. My guess is that at minimum these cards will be somewhere in the 15 - 20% range.

7. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With a score in 800s, I can't imagine you would ever carry a balance on a credit card?

Folks that don't pay their balance in full every month are straight up pissing money away.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We do carry a balance on a CC. We pay more that the minimum each month. I think what I need to do is call them and get that thing lowered.

9. grosx2

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's unavoidable for the time being, I would look into opening a new card that offers 0% interest on balance transfers for an introductory period. Plenty of offers out there for a year or longer...

https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/credit-cards/balance-transfer

10. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks grosx2! We have the SW card for the points, obviously. I would rather not get yet another CC, we just have to be a little better paying off the card at the end of the month.

11. grosx2

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can always cancel it when you've paid off the balance, I just hate seeing people waste money on high interest debt when there are good alternatives....especially for someone with an excellent credit score!

12. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My point here was that people should just be careful of the high interest rate. If you cannot pay off $4k in a reasonable amount of time, that offer may bite you in the rear. I was just using my experience as an example. I do appreciate you watching out for me though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WHY WOULD ANYONE CARE ABOUT THE INTEREST RATE?

Sorry if I shouted. Paying credit card interest is crazy.
    Don't do it.
    Please.

Also - no reason to cancel the card. We have 30+ cards and do not pay interest. We only pay a fee if the benefits cover the fee cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. oldbrewzer

oldbrewzer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those of us that have a SWA credit card currently, wonder if they will allow us to cancel it and then apply for the new offer?

Summer Fun
    Our "after watching the grandkids all summer" recuperation trip.
  15. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is something like a 24 month waiting period posted around here somewhere regarding that. You would need to apply for one of the other SW cards to get the promo.

16. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

I called and asked. Nope. No-go for those of us who already have it even if you change the level of card that you have.

17. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure of you situation, but this has come up with friends multiple times. Many people overlook what should be obvious. They have a SWest credit card, but the spouse does not. They never think to apply in the other persons name. Always chuckle when the light comes on.

18. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My "light" came on this morning. Gonna call SWA and ask. She has a card under my name, in my account, but she doesn't have an account.

Off on a Junket
    Birthday Celebrations at the Aria
  19. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would have gotten this offer had it not been my plan to apply for another card in the next month or so. Thus Chase with their 5/24 rule puts a damper on things...

20. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea... another mistake that many make. Adding an authorized user on an account. Sometimes that causes some issues when it counts the same as having a card similar to one in your own name. Many have had good luck cancelling that card and then applying.