1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Chances of getting on a different flight at airport?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by sharper, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharper

sharper Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest moved the first leg of my flight up 40 minutes. I now land in midway at 6:20. My flight to Vegas is at 9. Looking at the Chicago flights, I notice there is a 6:50 non stop to Vegas and that would do away with a 2+ hour layover. I only have the wanna get away flight. What are the chances I get to the gate where the 6:50 flight is leaving and they just let me get on the earlier flight and would my checked bag make it if I can? Or should I just plan on hanging out in Chicago for about 2 hours?

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the chances are slim at the counter, unless you want to pay the difference in the CURRENT fare. You might want to check the SWest forum at flyertalk.com... but they do not just move people to other flights as far as I can tell.

On the other hand ,since THEY MOVED the flight your BOUGHT, you might be able to call them and they might change you since THEY changed the flights. What you might have trouble with is the 30 minute connect time but I would go for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Joejoejackson

Joejoejackson The Max Bet King

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go for it what ya got to lose

• Like Like x 1
  4. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you have a better chance if you do t check your luggage.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FYMYAWF

FYMYAWF VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're cutting it EXTREMELY close on that half hour arrival/departure. If anything delays you on the in flight (highly likely on SW) you'll be unable to make the 6:50. Keep in mind the flight departs at 6:50, boarding will already be happening as you get to the ground on your first flight.

Relax, have a beer, sit out the 2 hour layover. Vegas will still be there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly SW Alot. Being AList has perks, but you might have a leg to stand on.....

CALL SW, before your trip, or talk to Gate, or Ticket agent, If/When you plan to ck your bag?

Since SW is moving Flight times on you, you may be able to make a change without it costing.

Usually its a One hour rule.

But your 40 min change could be an Hour ,by the time youre doing your trip.

Call SW Asap, or Talk in person at the airport, to see about a free Change.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jaygee77

Jaygee77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With that little time between flights, you're almost guaranteeing yourself one of the last seats on the plane, due to Southwest's boarding procedures. Me personally, I prefer an Italian beef sandwich at the airport food court, over being stuck in the middle seat at the back of the plane between two people who everyone else looked at and decided they didn't want to spend a three hour flight. But again, that's just me.

• Like Like x 4
  8. sharper

sharper Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Appreciate all the help. The 6:20 is am not pm. The beer and Italian beef sounds great but may be too early haha.

9. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jesus, you LAND at 6:20 AM?!? Dang.

If you checked a bag, there is no chance. If you have a carry on and there is a seat available then it gets much better. You may have to pay the difference in fare.

The layover won't be that bad. The beer is still a good idea, or maybe some a Bloody Mary or three. :beer:

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you have a better chance calling advance due to THEIR change than at the gate.

11. sharper

sharper Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, it's a 6:15 flight out of Dayton that lands at Chicago at 6:20. I'm not thrilled about it but it gives me more time in Vegas.

12. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

If my experience over the years with SWA is any indication, this is doable. About 3-4 times, SWA changed my flt. times (for a variety of reasons).
    The best strategy is go to the gate where the flight you want to take is boarding and simply ask if there is room for you to get on. Every time, they've allowed me to do so after I explained my flt. time was changed.
    I would not do it in advance, especially with such a short window.

13. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll have time to make the gate but if your bag doesn't make it, you could end up wasting a lot more than 1 1/2 hours. And I don't know if they'll even put your bag on your original MDW - LAS flight if you're not on it. Seems like asking for a fuck up for not much return really.

Is this a one-off adjustment, or did they reschedule the flight every day going forward? Maybe that exact itinerary is now listed as an option, in which case maybe you could re-book.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you make the change when you arrive in Chicago I would say that your checked in bag has NO chance of making it on the earlier flight. Your bag already has the tag for the later flight so most likely it will be left on your originally scheduled flight. And then when you make the flight change in Chicago there isn't enough time for SW to find your bag to put it on the earlier flight, esp when they will already be boarding the 6:50 flight when you are arriving.

Now if you made your change in Dayton to take the earlier flight you may have a chance of your bags and you to make it but no guarantees that your bag will make the flight since you are cutting it close. What might be important is the gate you will be arriving at in Chicago and the gate you will be leaving for LV, if the gates are too far or in separate wings you may not be able to make it in time anyway.

2 hours IMHO isn't that long a wait, you can go eat breakfast or read your emails or just walk around the airport, by then it will be an hour out so they will be boarding shortly. While I wouldn't mind getting into LV earlier not sure if it's worth the rush to make the earlier flight or to worry about which flight my checked in bag will be getting to vegas.

15. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1st you need to check if there are seats available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.