1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cataract Surgery details?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by MGinCO, Sep 13, 2021.

1. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I may have to get cataract surgery, this year.
    Could someone who had it done, please post some specific details on tihs?

I know only 1 eye can be done at a time, then the other the following week?
    What is the time frame after 1 eye done, that I can actually do computer screen work again?
    I WFH, and sit in front of 3 monitors, and type etc... for my job.
    And then, time frame, to get refitted with new lenses or glasses?
    And what about mono-focus lenses vs Mutl-focus lenses, ie PanOptix?
    (I am very blind, -11 contacts, -13 glasses)

Dr always said I would see better long distance, but would always need corrective lenses for reading/closeup.
    Would I still be able to wear regular contacts, after this type of surgery, or stuck with glasses?!
    (I have been wearing contacts for over 40 years, and would just hate it, if I had to go back to wearing glasses!)

Any info would be helpful, for decision making.
    I see Eye MD on Wed afternoon.

2. goodfoot1

goodfoot1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure I can be too specific because every patient is different. Hopefully you have a doctor you like and trust. MD should be able to be answer most questions/concerns you have. This was my experience: had the surgeries done this past April, two weeks apart. I was able to read a computer the next day with my old reading glasses. I no longer needed glasses for driving but could not drive till I went to the DMV and had them remove that restriction from my license. ( with the MD documentation). Not sure about contacts, but your MD should go over pluses/minus of the type of lens they will insert. I believe they waited 2 weeks to see if my prescriptions had changed. I was amazed how much better I could see as they were wheeling me out of the surgery area. They did not patch my eye post op like the olden days. I will say the surgery itself was a breeze; the eyedrops needed after were a bother but some surgeons now do cataract extraction without the necessity to use eyedrops after. Best wishes and good luck!

early Christmas trip
  3. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck. I need the surgery as well. I am waiting to get back from Las Vegas next month to have it done. Hubby had it done some years ago but still has to wear tri-focals. He had eye drops afterwards but we stopped using them after about two weeks. I need reading glasses but doctor says I might not need them after the surgery. I asked about having both done at same time but he nixed that idea fast. He wants me to wait one week which makes sense. I am just an impatient person and want it over with quickly.

I always write my questions down so I won't miss anything since it so easy to get off track while in there. That way I get my questions answered plus any other info they give.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could have written exactly what you wrote earlier this summer. I wore hard contacts for the last 30 years. I was extremely nearsighted. Because of the hard contacts, I had to have each off at least three weeks before surgery. So basically I was blind in one eye all summer. First surgery was in July. It was a breeze. I don’t remember a thing other than a bright light. I could see immediately afterwards. The second surgery was in August, it went fine but I remember everything going on. I couldn’t see anything but a blur afterwards. The next day during the checkup, the doctor told me lots of times the second eye has a totally different experience than the first eye and my vision would clear up in a few days. It started to get much better by the next day. I can now see things from a distance that I have never been able to see. Yes I now have to wear reading glasses but I’m ok with that. I can drive again at night now too. Oh and the good part for me is next month the doctor is doing an eyelid lift. She said that my eyelids after wearing contacts for so many years that it’s interfering in my vision. Insurance is paying for it.

Please let the SEMA show happen this year!
    Our Dallas Stars playing the Golden Knights.
  5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Following since I go in Monday for right eye. Left is scheduled for two weeks later.

6. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

M, we've both had the surgery on both eyes. The most significant thing I remember after I had the first eye done was that, after taking the protective glasses off, it was a different world. The sky was blue again instead of a murky blue-green. I got the "cheap" monofocal lenses that Medicare pays for and chose farsightedness so I still have to wear corrective glasses to read. Jeff paid for the "bifocal" lenses and no longer wears glasses. I was reading the next day after the surgery. Easy-peasy. After the first surgery I had to wear contacts because of the difference in the two eyes. I could never get used to them. Had the second surgery two weeks after the first and my vision has been great (but I still have to wear glasses to read) because of the lenses that I chose.

7. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just had cataract surgery in June, left eye.. A breeze. The entire process only took about twenty minutes. No pain no fuss. Nothing to fear. Eyesight was very much improved. I need the right eye done, but was told I could wait for that as that eye is not too bad.

8. petevegas

petevegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i just had my right eye done in February. My right eye is the dominant eye and my left eye is very weak since birth. i have worn glasses since i was 5 years old. i opted for the laser cataract surgery and the corrective lens implant. it was life changing . i now do not wear glasses well except to read. colors burst out and everything much crisper. it was blurry the first night , but the next day was when i really saw the difference.

it was much easier than I anticipated and very little discomfort afterwards. there were a couple people in the surgical center getting the 2nd eye done after a week when I was there

9. Mythcalbst

Mythcalbst Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't say much about my cataract surgery, since I was 2 or 3 years old at the time, and things have changed since the early 60s.

Birthday in Vegas
  10. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes, I have heard much better vision far away after surgery.
    I could never get LASIK, cause my corneas were too thin
    If this is to BE, I am hoping for the best.

Also, my Insurance deductible is covered this year all ready, so would want to to it this year, if possible. Maybe insurance would pay for Multi-focal, if Dr says necessary for me?
    I always get Medically Necessary contacts now.

Thanks for all the feedback.

11. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's unbelievable! Cataract surgery at that young age! I wonder how the accounted for the cataracts growing that early.

12. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had it done last year First dominate eye then 4 weeks later 2nd eye, be 1 year next week. could not be happier. 1 eye put a far sight lens in, next eye near site lens. brain will adjust to this used to were coke bottle with progressive lens 25 plus years, Try playing golf with progressive lol. now just wear cheaters to read paper and ipad.

13. martinr

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience was that the surgery definitely improved the distance vision but the close up vision did not improve similarly. This was to be expected though. I had some issues with glare and a halo effect after the surgery. They did another procedure, called a "yag" technique that mostly corrected the problems. I can practically drive without glasses which is amazing since my vision for distance was never even close to 20/20 corrected for over 50 years!

14. Mythcalbst

Mythcalbst Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congenital cataracts, inherited them from my mother, who also had them at a young age.

Birthday in Vegas
  15. RC

RC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me I will be opting for the laser option for this surgery as it is so much more precise of a process. Maybe by the time I will need this there will be an even better way to do the surgery? After reading this post, I went out and watched a youtube video of a patient receiving this kind of laser surgery.

16. martinr

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very interesting. So glad that could be diagnosed and dealt with.

17. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a little perspective...
    My grandmother had cataract surgery in the early 60s. This was a major surgery then. She was hospitalized 3 weeks. The first two weeks she was in a contraption that didn't allow her to move her head.
    My dad had cataract surgery in the 70s. He was in the hospital 2 days.
    Today the surgery is less than an hour and you go home same day. Now that's progress!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Rob6 8

Rob6 8 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The surgery was easy. On one eye they had to wait a while because my blood pressure was up, that was my only hiccup. Agree the eye drops are a pita, but not terrible or painful or anything. I could pretty much do everything the next day, but they don’t let you drive until your check up. I only use reading glasses now. Which is awesome since I was going damn near blind. Good luck to you

19. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Update;

Surgery on right eye is Oct 19
    Surgery on left eye is Nov 9
    Dr uses laser assist.
    I chose the upgraded toric lenses, so once all done. I will only need cheapie readers for really closeup.

Looking forward to never have to wear contacts or glasses again. 57 years is enough!

I had to cancel my Oct LV trip, but am planning a quickie Nov 21 24, for my THNX BDAY.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Final thought:
    What do I do with a years worth of Contact lenses. I wont need now??