1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cat help please

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by greekjim, Nov 6, 2019.

1. AbFab

AbFab Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to give my cat some medication and was having same problems as you- so I bought some pill pockets and omg it has been a life savior. I put the pill inside it and it’s chicken flavor and she eats it and hasn’t discovered the pill.

• Love Love x 1
  2. greekjim

greekjim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pita has finally lived up to her name now:
    P: Pain
    I: In
    T:The
    A:Ass

lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BBQ gloves, aka welders gloves, they go up the elbow and are heavy so to not get burned.

Hope PITA gets better, our cats are to smart for the meds in the food, and the syringe trick. If you do get it in her mouth, clamp her mouth shut and blow in her nose, that makes ours swallow.

we'll see
    <---- if that goes kaput, we'll see about this ^
  4. greekjim

greekjim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does this happen with cats, they are hurting and become very antisocial and dare not touch them? Pita is my first cat

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Catzilla

Catzilla High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the most part, cats I've had that were sick or injured became withdrawn. Those who were injured were more sensitive to being handled if it caused them pain, but they did not seem to become completely antisocial in the manner you are describing with Pita. I've had two that went from normal to scary aggressive in the blink of an eye and both times it was originally thought to be neurological.

My cat Toby seemed completely normal until he went postal one night, tore a chunk out of his tail, attacked the other cats and ran around the house spraying blood everywhere. I had to pin him under a heavy blanket. The sounds coming from under that blanket could have been a soundtrack from a horror movie. He was on amitriptyline for a time, with intermittent episodes of the same behavior, but eventually it stopped. He was later diagnosed with diabetes, took insulin for years and passed away at age 18.

Gus would wake suddenly from a sound sleep, growl, hiss and take off running. You seriously did not want to get in his way. A while later he'd be back to normal. He is currently being treated for chronic rhinitis, but the evidence is pointing toward a possible tumor in his head as the cause. He takes prednisolone and doxycycline. The aggressive bouts stopped a few months ago.

I usually know what's wrong with a sick cat, but there are also times when the vet can only guess and treat symptoms. Unfortunately this is not all that uncommon. Cats can't tell you how they feel or where it hurts and sometimes every test the vet clinic can run can't tell you either. And from a behavioral standpoint, who knows what triggers them. Example, my cat Taz. When he poops he leaves the litterbox like he was shot out of a cannon, doesn't cover it. Takes a lap or two through the house at warp speed, hits the kitchen floor, loses traction, spins out, rear legs pumping like crazy. It's hysterical. I looked online and learned that lots of cats do that same thing. There's speculation as to why, but no one really knows for sure. And you know what...they are never going to tell us. Get well soon, Pita!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they're in pain, they'll curl up and try to deal with it. But... cats do have attitudes for sure. She may be still annoyed with you for leaving her. Dogs do the same but get over it days earlier :)

Is she crying and hissing just when you come near or does she hiss and carry on when she goes to the kitty litter or food bowl? She must be able to jump on the fridge. Maybe she's just a drama queen and super annoyed?

I had a cat like that once! Much like you, I worried and fretted.:blink: Then I ignored her till she got over it. It didn't take long. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. willowox

willowox Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You may want call the vet if there’s still no improvement. Or since you took her to a late night vet perhaps you should take her to her regular vet. We’ve had mixed experiences bringing dogs to late night vets and have had situations where it was necessary to bring them to our regular vet for a better diagnosis and treatment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wanted to mostly concur with the other advice and applaud you for being a great first time cat owner.
    Hope it all smooths out easily. I'd say give it a few more days and follow up if it doesn't improve.
    Does sound a bit like a cat that is attached to you and didn't like you leaving.

Does she have a nice warm hideout spot in the house?

9. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully she gets better real soon!

I’ve owned numerous cats throughout my 30 years of life and my current cat Jackson is a major drama queen. 2 years ago, about 6 mos after we got him, he stopped eating and starting mewing and being withdrawn. Cats can be very secretive when they are sick which is why noting change in behavior is important.
    Took him to our vet - ended up going back twice for bloodwork, all this other stuff. Came up with nothing. Eventually we gave him an appetite stimulant and it turned out he had a hairball that he didn’t know how to pass! He’s not even a long haired cat, just a weirdo. So now he gets brushed regularly and is on hairball prevention food, usually Blue Buffalo.

Sooo it could be anything. I’d definitely recommend time and patience and potentially another vet visit if no improvement.

Try to make sure she’s staying fed and hydrated. Not eating, vomiting, or blood in the stool are urine are all signs it’s time for another visit.

As far as getting in the carrier, cats hate being corned and it freaks them out more and causes them to get on the defensive. Scruffing them can help, treats can help, but I like the glove suggestions presented here also.
    I typically tip the carrier upright and prop the door open, plop the cat in rear feet first and then drop them in, closing the door. The top entry ones can be great but my cat Jackson is houndini and will jump out quick as a flash before I can close the top door properly. Lol

Good luck lil Pitaaaa.

• Like Like x 2
  10. greekjim

greekjim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea could be a hair ball blockage, she hasn’t hacked one up in awhile and she is kinda of a long hair but not really.
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment

• Like Like x 3
  11. greekjim

greekjim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Her spot has seemed to be under a blanket that covers a couch.
    Took me awhile to find that spot the first time in use

• Like Like x 1
  12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm quite sure that your cats would strongly disagree! :)

• Love Love x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry you're going through this. Seems like you're doing all the right things.

Cats can be weird. I guess being essentially a prey animal, it's in their interest to hide when they aren't feeling 100%. My dog will literally climb on my face to show me that she has a tiny leaf or stick stuck in her tail and would I please remove it thanks. But my cat? One time he literally had a weeping abscess on the base of his tail and the only way I knew there was a problem was that he hadn't come out from under the bed in a couple of days.

I'm hopeful that you and Pita's vet can figure out what the problem is. I know how frustrating it can be.

It would be so much easier if those little furry buggers could just tell you what they want, right?

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 3
  14. Allee

Allee Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope Pita feels better! One of our cats does not do well when we travel. He will get so stressed that he gets himself sick...he’s had UTI’s, dehydration, etc. hope everything works out.

Annual trip!
  15. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a mobile vet now, hardly ever have to transport any of them to the clinic. Worth every nickel.

Our late Oscar used to put up a fight going to the vet. I would put on my jacket and gloves for the motorcycle to wrangle him. A lot of times they don't want you to sedate them before bringing them in.

I've never had a hairball get stuck but, I've dealt with hairballs. Yeah there's stuff out there for hairballs but lubrication has been the most reliable for me. About once a week I make sure they get a small serving of butter or olive oil, whatever they'll eat. With food, on the side, as a treat, whatever. Lubrication.

Max has gastric reflux and chronic constipation so he's on a laxative and heartburn meds. His heartburn situation has settled down since then. I also started making their wet food and that has actually worked out fantastic. Max has always been weird about food. Not picky, just weird. He likes the food I'm making though. They still have their dry food from the vet.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  16. greekjim

greekjim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So after finding out Pita was very ill and was not looking good for her, I had to put her down a few weeks ago. I got her from the humane society when she was around 2/3 months over 7 years ago. She was a great cat.
    So cleaning up the cat stuff, I just threw it all away. Saying I didn’t want another cat ever again if it wasn’t pita.
    Then I noticed how quiet it was at my place, too quiet and then this happened....another trip to the humane society 47E92462-C8CA-4A87-9142-AEBFA634B1CF.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    • Love Love x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Catzilla

Catzilla High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm very sorry to hear about Pita. I didn't realize it was that serious. What did they say it was?

Cute kitten. Does it have a name yet?

• Love Love x 2
  18. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to hear you helped another deserving fur baby out.
    So sorry to hear about Pita, but I'm sure you both gave each other a great 7 years.
    (mostly, when she wasn't being a P.I.T.A.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. greekjim

greekjim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She was named chickpea at the humane society, so still debating. Maybe a Maggie or molly.
    Or if Anyone has any name suggestion, let’s hear them

• Love Love x 1
  20. AbFab

AbFab Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry for your loss.

She/he is beautiful!

What was exactly wrong with Pita in the end?