1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Career Question (leaving one job early)

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by LB9, Jun 16, 2020.

1. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

Had a quick question that wasn't Vegas related so I'm hoping this is the most appropriate place.

Long and short, I started a new job about 8 months ago at a large firm which I've finally settled into. I was a strategic hire to establish market share in an area which, once contract is awarded in 2/3 months, I'll essentially be running a good portion of things (not as the Director mind you, but as a LPM or something tantamount). I'm 33 so given my age, I'm happy with the prospect. Currently, I'm involved in a handful of initiatives and while the work-life balance can at times be difficult here, I'm in a good place now and do enjoy the work. I'm the lead on only a few matters, but once this large contract is awarded, I'll be transitioning over ostensibly into what I really love.

A former friend and colleague texted me today with a role that would be significantly higher than the one I have currently, presumably with a good bit more money and the ability to work for my friend. It's a commercial based job as opposed to federal, of which the latter I've only done my entire career. While I'm worried about work-life balance at the new opportunity due to the unknown, and am happy where I'm at now, I'm enticed at this prospect.

Ultimately, I don't want to be a job jumper and I do like the majority of the people I work with currently, as well as the prospect to run this new contract once it's awarded come August/September.

Any advice on what to do here? I'm inclined to stay, as I've jumped jobs after around 2 years before (which I guess is not really job jumping these days) and would like to just have one job for a number of years in terms of stability, but I don't want to miss an opportunity I may not get again. The corollary, however, is perhaps my current job is such an opportunity that will manifest in a few months. The current company I'm with is known around the world so if I did stay and left for somewhere else down the road, I don't think that would be an issue given the difficulty to get into this company (so presumably, I'm halfway competent lol).

My wife and I are also moving within the next month or two insofar as giving context for moving jobs during such a time (and any associated risk therein).

Thanks for any comments, and I apologize ahead of time if this comes across as insensitive to those who've been furloughed due to COVID or had a similar, tough circumstance. Trying not to be tone deaf but would love to hear what people think here as I find it helpful to get objective, third party opinions.

Ballys Nov 13 - 16
  2. fasbman

fasbman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Obviously, there is no right or wrong answer. That can only be known in hindsight, and sometimes not even then. I'm somewhat confused by your post, as to whether you have a federal job or not. If you have a Federal job, then you do have more job security than many. Such security is much less in the private sector. Also, sometimes working for a friend can strain a friendship. I only changed employers twice in my career (and one of the times it was a merger situation when it was move or lose your job). As it turned out, I ended up hating that company, and after two years (I was 36 at the time) I left for the job from which I retired. Best move I ever made. However, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

It certainly never hurts to talk, and explore what you friend has in mind. Definitely consider everything, not just salary. Benefits are huge. Also, what is the cost of living in the two areas, including taxes. Obviously your spouse has a major say as well. Good luck on whatever you decide.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. texascane

texascane Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take whatever job you want and don't worry about job hopping. Seems like you want to take the new job so do it. As the Wu Tang says Cash, Rules, Everything, Around, Me CREAM Get the money Dollar, dollar bill y'all.

4. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @fasbman , sorry, I work for a federal contractor wherein all of my customers are the federal government (4 different agencies). The new position would have solely private customers in the commercial sector.

The friend also was formally a superior and when I worked for her, we got along well as I understood the hierarchy and never gave her problems nor expected special treatment. She was initially a bit of a hardass but I realized it was because she wanted to train me, and she taught me some skills that I use today which have helped a great deal. She was also a good teacher and now, I'm almost at her skill set (in some areas, further along as she hates the budgetary/financial component whereas I took it on).

I think the grass is always greener is what I'm worried about, while things sounds great, who knows, right? I think you and @texascane are right, it doesn't hurt to listen to this person so if they call, I'll definitely give them the time. It's not like I'm going anywhere until my Vegas trip in August lol.

Ballys Nov 13 - 16
  5. cjcjcj

cjcjcj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Employers are not really loyal anymore, nor are employees expected to be too much. A few job changes on a resume is OK. If I see more than 3 or 4 within a few years timeframe, that's a red flag to me when I am hiring and definitely gets asked about.

6. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had 3 jobs within about 9 years in my space, so I'm hoping it doesn't cause any problems. So far, nobody has said anything, but to be fair, each job has been a vertical promotion over the last so that may have helped somewhat. The customer has been the same over all 9 years as well, so when I've seen them after a new job, I've said "same service, different signature block". I would miss working with my current clients (the federal government), as they seem to actually be appreciative of the work we do which is always nice.

Ballys Nov 13 - 16
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, If your current job is stable, I would not leave it until the market settles a bit more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Color me conservative but I would do as dmr suggests.

One more note. I had a friend who left the Air Force and was immediately hired by a federal contractor. After 4 months on the job another federal contractor (competitor of first) asked him to work for them He went to see his boss (old retired Marine) and asked him about the situation. He declared his feelings of obligation to the original employer. His boss said that loyalty stuff is well and good and learned in the service but make your decision on what is best for you. He said if you dropped dead at work in two weeks the people there would have a hard time recalling his name

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  9. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right now stability counts a lot. There will be plenty of chances to "chase the money" in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm inclined to agree with you guys, I'm definitely leaning toward staying and I told my friend that when we spoke on the phone this evening.

Ballys Nov 13 - 16
    • Like Like x 1
  11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:

But, which job is more stable?

I would evaluate both sides. Make a list of good and bad. Known and unknown. (or at least what you think is known)

12. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New job gives higher Vegas bankroll, does work life balance and flexibility allow for more Vegas trips? If so, it’s a no-brainer.

Then again my career moves are similar to my Vegas plays. Aggressive.

I always ask myself what is the best case and the worst case scenario. If the best case is a significant upgrade over the status quo and the worst case is living on the bridge between P.Ho and Cosmo, but as the richest homeless guy on that bridge, then I would go for it!

Being aggressive and having balls is significantly rewarded in our system.