1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Car rental - Why I keep checking until the last minute!!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by DaiLun, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, I'm going to New Orleans tomorrow. I will need a car since I'm going up to Biloxi on Saturday.

I had booked my rental cars months in advance, but continued to check periodically for price changes. Here was my dilemma:

The rental from Wednesday to Sunday was $60 a day (tax, tag and title), but a rental from Thursday to Sunday was $30 a day. A single day rental Wednesday was about $67 a day.

So, I started out with two separate reservations, one for Wednesday only, and I would return to the airport Thursday morning to pick up my Thursday to Sunday rental.

I check this morning, and the Wednesday rate hadn't changed, but the Thursday rate dropped a few dollars per day, so now I'm paying $80 for Thursday through Sunday, a $40 savings.

I looked at the shuttle rates for MSY to Harrahs New Orleans, and it was $24 each way, and since I was only getting to and from the airport, it really didn't make sense to have a car and pay $70+ for just one day.

I am 7* so the $42 a day for parking is waived.

The moral to the story is:

"Even if you have a confirmed reservation, keep checking the rates . . . ."

Total savings between the original rental and today was about $200. Total savings just today was $45.

Another NGO trip. QQQQ/NYNY
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just re-booked. I'm actually paying MORE, but I get the airport rental, instead of taking a taxi to Swenson, so it's a wash, and more convenient.

ABC!

Always be checking!

4. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Thanks for the option! Unfortunately, the only offer I had to choose from, was Sixt.

5. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, great advice for any trip or locale. We rent almost exclusively through Costco Travel and I can't think of too many times in which we haven't lowered the rate several times.

6. Bondy3

Bondy3 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you tried renting from Turo? (its like airbnb but for cars) I always check there first for rental informaiton as they generally have a better selection as well as fair prices. most of the time its cheaper, sometimes not, but if your shopping around its worth checking

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look again.

They will take you existing reservation, even at SIXT and keep checking to see if they can do better.

8. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see now. I'm not comfortable giving them confirmation code on the rental I have, so I will pass. Thanks for the option, though!

9. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always suggest checking Hotwire and maybe bidding on Priceline (a buck or 2 less per day than what Hotwire shows) the day you need to pick up at rental. Some times you can get a pretty good discount last minute.

10. Spdsktr5

Spdsktr5 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many thanks to the OP for this thread! It caused me to look at current prices for my trip in two days. Saved $50 by checking and rebooking! Thank you!!!

11. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've cancelled and rebooked maybe 6 times in the past three days. I had a decent rate for a car class I didn't like but now I have a larger car reserved and I'm saving $30 in the process. I am so used to rates getting crazy that last two weeks and I'm glad to get some last minutes deal. Plus I was able to rebook my flight to save $80! All I do is win...

• Like Like x 1
  12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here. I always book right away when I know my dates and then keep checking Costco site and I always get a better price, usually by quite a bit.

13. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im giving autoslash a try for rates comparisons, but booked through costco.

The autoslash is mostly morbid curiosity. We would need huge savings to rebook outside costco, because of the free additional driver.

14. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One reason I like Costco is that they offer an additional driver at no extra cost. Many states have laws where a spouse has to be included as an extra driver automatically but I'm not married so it's a nice savings as we usually both do some driving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, but that did burn me last trip. For Canadians, costco will book from 4 companies (Enterprise, Alamo, Budget, Avis). And of those 4 only 2 actually give a free additional driver (Alamo, Enterprise). Found that out at the counter last year, and ended up having to drive everywhere.

16. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^^^ that sucks. I've had all 4 of them through Costco and never a problem with that.

17. willywilkes

willywilkes Low-Roller

Seems like they have some type of deal with Sixt - that's the only one I've ever been able to make my initially booking, but they always come back within a day or two with a better offer through one of the others. I have found cheaper deals on my own but they are a good barometer and as of right now they have found the best offer for my current trip next month through Hertz.

Some of the companies will charge if you ask to add an additional driver, but Budget and Avis both have in their T&C that spouse or domestic partner are free, as are fellow employees if a business trip. I know Hertz specifically says For domestic partner you don't even have to list them in the reservation - Avis told me the same one time when I asked in the garage.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  18. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always keep checking, at least every other day. I usually cancel 3 or 4 times and it is worth it. I have saved some $$ by picking up at the budget on Tropicana across the street from the Orleans.

19. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my mama always told me.... you better shop around.:wiggle:

20. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED The biggest Degenerate on VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We rented a Chevy sonic right down the street from Harrah NoLa for $25 a day, only used it two days, it was from enterprise right down between events center and Fulton (it was on diamond if I recall)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.