1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

car rental prices

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by andrew5499, Jul 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrew5499

andrew5499 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you noticed car rental prices appear very high.

Normally i can get a week rental for under $400.00 - now they are much more. wow

2. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are trying to make up their losses due to Uber and Lyft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When are you looking? Is the trip near or farther out?

And the response to Uber and Lyft would be to lower prices, not raise them. Don't presume ride sharing has changed the demand for car rentals.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Las Vegas, based upon the input I hear from visitors now using ride share that used to rent cars, I'd say that ride share has had some impact on the demand for car rentals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Something is definitely up. I've always rented in the past, and although rates can fluctuate wildly, there has always been a window between 2 and 3 weeks before my trip when rates get to the same level - about $20-21 per day including all taxes and fees for a compact. This time around, I'm already inside of 2 weeks to go time and rates have never gone below $60 per day all in. You can get about $41 per day if you pick up and return off airport, but that's still not worth it to me. Looks like a combo of bus and Lyft/Uber for me this time.

And I agree, if the competition (Uber/Lyft) is eating your lunch, you don't jack up prices to "cut your losses". You cut prices and take temporary losses to try to win your business back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rates in Vegas have usually been low. Between parking fees, traffic, costs, pain in the ass.... I think more people are moving to rideshare. Supply and demand would indicate rates would drop.

OR

It means they know those that still rent will pay higher prices. So, stop renting to folks that are barely paying the electricity rates...

Just an opinion.... could be 100% wrong. (we stopped renting a few years ago. Uber just makes it easier)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I've heard anecdotes about people switching to rideshare too. But at the same time the I've never seen more people heading to the RTC to pickup and return cars. I think people who used to rent but stay on the strip are going rideshare. But those folks are being replaced by folks heading offstrip. Whenever I've had a problem getting a decent deal, there were special events offstrip driving up demand.

8. AndyAkeko

AndyAkeko Time magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked an SUV for my wife about six months out from her girls trip because the rates were lower than even economy/compact cars at the discount car rental places. Three months later the SUV prices have gone up, but other cars haven't changed very much.

Of course, she's going to end up losing the savings on all those parking fees on the strip.

9. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked over a month ago, for a late Oct trip.
    I have changed the reservation, every time the price went down.
    it's now under $105 for a SUV via Dollar.
    Note, that now when I look, prices have gone back UP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 21wins

21wins VIP Whale

I have a rental booked for 9 days in August.

Booked a car with CarRentals.com (Dollar) off airport in the middle of May for $184 all in for our August trip thinking that it was an ok first rate but that it would go down- They never have.. They have gone up..

In years past you would always get a decrease a few times as the trip approaches. So far not this year.

Airport rates are over $300 for my time frame and that is with Fox, EZ Rental and other undesirables. Name companies are $400 or more.

I've been checking several times a day on Kayak, Hotwire and directly on the rental car sites and nothing has gone down. Also used Autoslash and the rates they are coming up with are terrible. Glad I booked when I did.

I'm going to throw in a Priceline bid just for laughs in a couple weeks.

I've rented a car for each year for 30 years and never have seen it like this. Maybe this is the new normal for Las Vegas. Hope not.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. calcuttaman

calcuttaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Car rental pricing is all about supply and demand. Lots of demand = higher prices.
    I had a rental in May for 15 days that I paid $340. Last year I paid $214 in May for 14 days.

Try renting at Dollar on Swenson Ave and returning to the airport.

12. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The economy is as good as it's been in years. The rentals are charging what the market will take.

13. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's not so true for the car rental market, they are seeing effects from uber and lyft.

Return to Greatness
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People who use uber are taxi people, not rental people. I don't see a correlation.

15. 21wins

21wins VIP Whale

I wonder if Hertz acquiring Thrifty and Dollar are starting to have an effect?

That would be 3 companies that are keeping their base prices high.

Maybe the other rental companies are seeing this and have also raised their base rates then they all just let supply and demand do their thing.

So just a general increase across the board.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Car rental prices suck all over this summer. I think demand is up, with more people traveling. I have never paid over $100 for 3 nights, and for next weekend the rates have been consistently over $200. About a month ago one agency dropped to $137 so I jumped on it. Still looking for my trip in Aug, as well as my trips to Palm Springs this fall, prices are just awful. Like a fever, I hope it breaks soon.

17. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not necessarily, I've had several passengers here in Vegas tell me they used to rent a car because it was cheaper than taking a taxi everywhere. Now they use Uber or Lyft because it's cheaper than renting a car or using a taxi.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $384 for 2 week rental with Dollar in Sept/Oct. I wouldn't visit LV without a car to drive around. It's more important to me than shows or nice restaurants.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. fischer

fischer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, Swenson was about $100 more for a minivan than at the airport.

20. fischer

fischer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We need to rent a minivan for 6-7 people so that limits our options, but we can book a minivan now for 7 days at $250 (pay now), at Dollar.
    Word to the wise be VERY leery of the new "Cheap" car company. We got burned so bad in Florida in February.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.