1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Canadians getting W2-G tax refund

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Bruinfan1, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruinfan1

    Bruinfan1 Tourist

    Jun 10, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that this newbie understands what a "hand pay" is at slots :beer: I look forwarding to getting one on my next trip. I suppose I'd have to put coin into a machine for that to happen, but I'll work on that problem. :rolleyes2:

    In doing some quick research for my big win, I only recognized MGM listed as a "gaming official' to issue you a tax ID number (aka ITIN) in Nevada. I'm guessing that multiple MLife properties (MGM, Bellagio, Mirage for starters) would be able to issue a Canadian player an ID. But would any non-MGM casinos?

    Has anyone attempted to get an ITIN at a non-MGM property on the day of a win? Free, or did they refer you to an outside service? If referred, did you have to complete an income tax return on the spot and submit it, or wait until the end of the year to get your ITIN number?

    The reason this appears to be significant is that the IRS - trying to reduce their paperwork load - will only issue an ITIN when a non-resident is filing an income tax return. Various exceptions apply, the relevant one here is that a "gaming official" acting as an "authorized agent" to submit ITIN applications can submit the application without a tax return. This appears to be useful - I'd rather not fill out a 1040NR while on vacation, and if I win in January I'd like a few more trips worth of losses before declaring my income - saves filing an amended 1040X. Also saves a trip to the IRS office downtown in Vegas to complete an application. Plus, if you submit your tax return form home you now (as of June 22, 2012) have to submit your original, actual passport. No notarized copies allowed, at least not for this interim 2012 period. I have no interest in mailing my passport or driver's license to the U.S. and wait a couple months for it to return. Same goes for using a service - if you submit a tax return, you need to send originals according to the IRS statement

    And for the resort fee haters...the notarizing of the copy of your passport is free at some MLife properties! Your resort fee hard at work.... :rolleyes2:
  2. MangoPort

    MangoPort Low-Roller

    Oct 20, 2011
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had wins at MGM, the Wynn and the World Series of Poker (RIO). I waited until the end of the year and filed with a refund management company. They took $150 for the initial ITIN setup (which I don't have to pay for anymore) and $100 for the first claim and $50 for each additional claim.

    So in total it was $350 last year, but the same claim would be $200 this year now that I have the ITIN number. I already ready have a claim to file but I just save the form and wait until Jan to file.

    I can dig around and find the company if you're interested.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.