1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Canadians coming to Vegas - do you really need a Passport now?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by GeorgeJ., Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iceicecool

Iceicecool Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah this thread got confusing quick. The original poster was asking if a U.S. Citizen needs a passport to come back into the U.S. The answer is no, but they prefer you to have one or at least an enhanced DL or any other ID that has an RFID chip in it. If you do not, they have the option to secondary you and also to fingerprint you. This process could take anywhere from a few minutes up to about 3 hours. They technically can hold you indefinitely if they are unable to determine admissibility. I am not sure what documents you need to get into Canada in the first place. My area of expertise is on the southern border.

2. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just flew back to Canada from Las Vegas this week. At TSA precheck, I presented my nexus card. I was told that I had to show my passport. I always travel with both. The agent's response was that at a Global Entry check point, only a nexus card would be required. Since Las Vegas (terminal 3) did not have global entry, they required a passport.

On a side note. When I depart Canada, I clear US Customs. The Global Entry kiosk require a scan of my passport and fingerprint scan. When I return to Canada, I clear Canadian Customs when I land. The kiosk requires a scan of my Nexus card and iris scan.

3. ski-doo_rider

ski-doo_rider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Screw Canada LOL. 24 years ago, when I was 21 I got a OUI, and from what I have read I will be turned away at the border and not be allowed to enter Canada. I've never been there and now I guess I never will

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  4. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's an idea. Why don't you call the passport office? Instead of arguing with a bunch of Vegas Nerds in a message board? I roll my eyes. I shake my head. I really do.

And as a Canadian who crosses the border a lot and flies out of the US. Yes, I've got a passport. And yes, they expect to see it. Yes, there are a few options, but, none cheaper or easier than getting a damn passport. But, don't take my word for it. Call the damn passport office.

Wow, I'm cranky.

5. WickedWife

WickedWife Tourist

You can get a pardon after 5 years.

In addition to that, my husbands boss has a DUI from 5 years ago and still goes down to the US regularly. I would maybe test it out with a drive across the border for a few night gambling somewhere near you.

Sorry, didnt realize you were coming from US to Canada. Im not sure how they handle that but I can't imagine we are more strict that US Border Guards.

6. ski-doo_rider

ski-doo_rider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's not what I've heard, but no worries, so I don't get to go snowmobiling across the border, I'll live. but I guess I'll never get to Saint Catherines street LOL

7. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My advice still stands even if it's the other way around. Call your passport office instead of arguing with a bunch of Vegas Nerds over it.

8. ski-doo_rider

ski-doo_rider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not arguing with anyone. For the record, I have a passport and I like talking to "Vegas nerds" on a message board.

9. 63hearts

63hearts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew out of Boston about a month after 9/11 and they did not immediately require a passport, but there was two security of some sort who individually stared at my licence for about thirty seconds then stared at me, license, me, license, me, and it was kinda unnerving and I'd prefer to use the passport system than go through that. Nowadays passport is required no matter the mode of transport.

10. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    VBMers have to watch Border Security more often - great show!

FYI, I have my nexus and it is the best thing I ever did as a regular US/Cda crosser. With global entry attached to it now, its awesome skipping the customs lines and going through security quicker. I arrived at Pearson this summer from UK at the same time and same terminal as a bunch of trans Atlantic and Pacific flights - quick retinal scan and boom - watch everyone tired and cranky standing in the full customs hall. Landed in Philly from overseas last year and thought that I might have to join the regular group and again, quick retinal and off I went. the only issue is that is so fast, you still have to wait for luggage - but better than standing in a customs hall then getting the interrogation. Its great for me flying out of buffalo a fair bit too, allowing me to avoid Pearson altogether. If we could only do something with the exchange now....

11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well OK then. I like arguing with Vegas Nerds too. But, I get cranky sometimes. Let's agree to disagree and agree that dude should get a passport.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.