1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Can a Vegas trip be too short?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Mr. Politics, Jan 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah for me also. For others it might be doable. If you live close to Vegas. But for me it's a 5 hour plus flight to and from Vegas. I live on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

I did hear of some people here who would fly out on Friday afternoons and then take a late flight out on Sunday to head home in time for work Monday.

2. Mr. Politics

Mr. Politics Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some additional details. I'm based out of the Cincinnati, Ohio area. I have to be in Phoenix, AZ Mon -Thu Afternoon and need to be back home in Cincy Friday evening. I could have about 10 waking hours in Vegas. I'm trying to decide if 10 hours is worth it, or if it will just break my heart being there for such a short duration.

3. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hard as it is for me to say this cause I l o v e Vegas, no it would not be worth it for me.
    I could not do only 10 hours because I’d be stressing about it the whole time :(

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Ladeda

Ladeda Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go for it. I live in NKY and CVG is my home base. Whenever I'm out West for work, I try to stop off in Vegas for a couple of days on my way back.

It sounds to me like you would get to LAS Thursday afternoon/early evening, so you could literally gamble, eat, drink all night- and then take one of the early flights that United/American has back to CVG.

It may be 1 night in Vegas, but you can still have alot of fun 1 night in Vegas. Heck, you are already out West and just an hour flight from Vegas. Why not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh boy only 10 hours in Vegas!!! My wife thinks 7 days in Vegas is too short lol.... regardless make it best enjoy your time!!

6. AllenAndRossi

AllenAndRossi High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you flying from PHX to LAS or driving?

We live in the Phoenix area and it's a 4 hour drive, give or take.

We did a one-nighter in Vegas once to take advantage of an offer. But the next day we drove to Laughlin for 2 nights, so it was a 3 night trip.

About 14-16 hours in Vegas. Stayed at Harrah's, drove into the back to valet the car. Never left Harrah's until we left for Laughlin. Never set foot on the strip, or even really saw the strip. We go at lest 5-6 times a year since we live so close and drive. Normally we do a minimum of 3 nights. So while this short stay was different, it wasn't bad.

7. tex55

tex55 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I lived in California in the late 90s, I did a lot of 3 days, 2 nights (Friday morning - Sunday evening) visits. It wasn't long enough. Now my minimum stay is 4 days, 3 nights.

8. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I lived in Ohio and didn't get the chance to come out to Vegas often, I would absolutely go, and I might not even book a hotel room in order to remove the option of crashing in my hotel room. Well, maybe nowadays I would get a hotel room. Also I would make some bets for games after I leave town that I can mail in for payment if they win. If and when my state of residence legalizes sports gambling, a trip like this will be less compelling.

9. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    10 hour is not necessarily short if you can get there "easily".
    I have done many day trips driving from LA area to Vegas and back.
    The time in Vegas was far less than 10 hours each trip.
    Yeah it was a lot of boring driving, but I enjoyed the trips nonetheless.

10. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    absolutely!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. fudgewapner

fudgewapner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lived in LA from the age of 23 to 33. In the earlier part of that range I did around 10 trips where we'd drive out Friday night, stay up all night and then drive back in the afternoon the next day. No room, no change of clothes. Had one trip where we decided to take a rest stop nap in the car. Two of my friends tried to lay in the shade in the sand, and were bit by red ants. It was also about 106 outside. Dude had an ant bite rash for 2 weeks. Trips were crazy short but really memorable.

My in-laws (early 70s) have gone to Vegas for decades. They used to drop my wife off at elementary school, fly to Vegas from SD, get the neighbor to pick her up from school, and they'd fly back by dinner. Good times.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless it was some sort of layover and I was going to be at McCarran or something, I'd pass.

And 5 day minimum for me.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  13. LVRaiders

LVRaiders High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have friends who live in Orange County CA who go to Vegas for 24 hours as a weekend getaway day. I would only do that if I did not want to gamble, go to a show, etc and just flew in to cash a very valuable bet ticket and fly right back out.

14. 20hof

20hof Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I would be a little depressed if that's all the time I could spend there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cal123

Cal123 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live an 11 hour flight away that involves a hotel stay the night before because the flight is early AM to Vegas. So absolute minimum I'll go for is 7 nights or it just isnt worth the hassle

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Pancakes

Pancakes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the ten hours includes travel time then I'd still be somewhere over Texas :haha:

If I lived < 2-3 hours away, I'd consider it.

17. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The length of time I would need to stay in the airport would be the deciding factor for me on a trip where it was a layover of 10 hours or so. If I can do the airport thing losing only an hour, I'd be fine with a 9 hour visit. Maybe an hour (or less) in travel time, so there are 8 hours to enjoy Vegas.

We used to get up, drop the kids at school, drive to The Pile of Debris in Lake Charles, and be back by the time band/sports practices were over. Total of about 10 hours including more than 4 hours of driving time.

Yes, I would be a bit tired at the end of the trip, but I will have lots of time to rest when I am under the grass....

• Like Like x 1
  18. aspenq

aspenq Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. My first visit to Vegas was a 2 night trip - never again. My second trip was a 4 night stay and every trip since was a 5 night stay.

Getting to Vegas takes 7-8 hours (flight + security) so 5 days seems like the perfect length. If I lived within a 2-3 hours driving distance I would very likely add some shorter Friday-Sunday trips into the mix.

19. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm getting old, It takes me two weeks to do what everybody else does in three days. When I was young three nights was all I could afford, now I can't imagine staying less than a week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. alexm

alexm High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bare minimum flying from the east coast is 5 nights. 7 nights is my sweet spot. I like the time 7 gives you to work in a few shows, plan some nice meals, plus I can really go crazy for 3 nights. (Thu Fri Sat) then take a breath for a day and night (Sun) then go hard 2 more nights and relax the night before it all ends. We always fly home early in the morning, but we also arrive early in the morning so it's really 5 or 7 full days

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.