$20 Caesars Palace

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. vegascurley

vegascurley Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always make sure they see the money but dont hand it to them,, I ask politely if there is a complementary upgrade(know what you want). Be friendly...i hardly ever get shot down. If i get what i want i give them the *tip*.I always look at their name and start the conversation with it. You would be amazed at what you can get by just being friendly.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Burnsie

Burnsie VP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! My wife thinks I'm a rube who's going to get taken by these big city slickers. :D

I'll try @Jer's idea of leaving it on the counter or just showing it per @vegascurley. That should do it. I'll give it a go Monday!!

3. diplomatic

diplomatic Always seeking drink tickets

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Worst case scenario is you spend $20 for a real “Vegas” experience.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always say does the $20 help? If not just return $40 please

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If your wife is making you ask, have her stand with you and make the reception agent give it back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had it NOT returned if no upgrade was provided.

However, let me note that I have not used the $20 trick in years.

1)I usually (99% of the time) get comped rooms, and if you are given an upgrade the higher comp value applies, which decreases my ability to get back end comps

2)I mostly travel solo, so the room type isn't important.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you’re there for 4 nights divide it out. Go shopping…..I want THIS…..is it worth 10$ a night to you? Give ‘em 40, Nod at the wife and whisper, don’t put me in a bind if you can avoid it…….and smile……:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Grant1982

Grant1982 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just ask if they have any complimentary upgrades, I usually have my wallet in my hand when asking. If they don't then okay thanks anyways, if they do then great, open it up and give them a 20.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Trevler

Trevler Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only once did the agent keep it when they couldn't get me an upgrade.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  10. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I said it before and I will say it again. You are not swapping military secrets with the Soviets at Checkpoint Charlie. Be obvious with the money in your hand and simply ask what they can do. No embarrassment and no awkwardness. They will almost always get you some type of a better room or upgrade. Just be realistic. $20 aint getting you a suite for four days at Caesars Palace. They might be able to bump you into something for one night...but not four.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

My theory has always been, if you ask nicely and an upgrade is available, they will give it to you without any bribe. It's always worked for us if something better is available. No $20 needed but you can "thank" the agent with that $20 bill if they can do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ReTriggerMe

ReTriggerMe Stand Up to Jewish Hate!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience as well. I've never done it. Asked frequently. Gotten better views, higher floors, upgrade to a big suite. Tipped after, even for very early arrival

• Like Like x 2
  13. jhl3

jhl3 Vegas Regular

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Staying at CP next week and will try the $20 trick... I dont anticipate it working well though, given I hear Vegas is just packed with people?

14. Raven888

Raven888 Watanabe wannabe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, it's just no fun if I don't feel like I'm getting away with something!!

:whistle:$$$

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Mr Bulldops

Mr Bulldops VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In addition to that, unless you are Diamond or above (and patient), you will be funneled to a kiosk for check-in. It was kind of depressing walking through the opulent lobby and seeing all of those very out of place looking kiosks jammed in there.

16. LadyVPLove

LadyVPLove Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed at CP during Memorial Day weekend. My host had booked an Augustus Tower, fountain view room for us. We have always been able to get an Augustus Tower room. At check in we got bumped to an Octavius, pool view room. $20 did not help. We have been 7* for over 10 years....check in clerk said we could not get Augustus Tower if rooms were comped. Truly beginning to dislike CET under this new management! I earned 25,000 point that weekend which when you consider that I play video poker at $10 for 1 point.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  17. Burnsie

Burnsie VP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stayed June 14-18 (Mon-Thurs). We were comped to a Julius Tower room and were upgraded to a Palace Tower room with the help of a $20 tip. Had the $20 bill on the counter with my ID and credit card when I asked if any upgrade was available, and that did the trick.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  18. Timothy

Timothy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there actually anything to ask for if:

1) I already booked a premium king in the Palace Tower, which is the tower I want. I don’t want Augustus even if it is considered an upgrade.

2) You don’t know what types of suites or higher end rooms are in that exact tower (enlighten me, maybe :D)

I would, for example, fancy very high floor and not to far of an ice machine. I guess you’d be able to score that at least?

I’ll be checking in through Diamond check-in.

Also relevant: it’s a 3 night stay SUN-WED during one of the slowest weeks of December (if pricings are anything to base on).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    It’s about time I’m back!
    Leg 2 of 4 - show me the new Rio!
  19. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had an interesting experience two weeks ago, when I did the 20$ trick at CP check-in: I gave the clerk the "sandwich" and asked for a complimentary upgrade or a room with a good view (e.g., high floor). He said, I had to stay in the booked room (Augustus tower, fountain view) the first night, but he would transfer me to a room with a better view for the rest of my stay, but the room would not have fountain view (+ 50$ food credit). I said yes to that offer, but was confused, because how could the view be better if it did not have fountain view? Well, I soon found out what he meant. The room for the first night technically had fountain view, but honestly, you could not see much, because the room was on the 23 floor (= third floor in reality), so you basically had a view of the traffic on Flamingo Road going to / coming from the Interstate - it was very noisy. The room for the remaining nights was on the 45 floor (up high) with a great view of the northern part of the strip. So in the end, I was kind of happy with the outcome.

• Like Like x 4
  20. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could ask for a fountain view, although that would put you in Augustus.