1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cable TV vs Free Antena TV

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by tominiowa, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With Cox, I have to pay extra for the "Mini Box" for the TV in the living room. It's only a few $$ per month, but still ...

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Valid point. Apps are so hard to use.

But - if you not at home and want to get the "weather" - how well does your remote work?
    Or if you are in the garage, or car, or a room without a "remote" - how does that work?

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have both weather.com and weather.gov bookmarked on the phone. It takes only a few seconds. No ap required.

4. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see this often.

Anyone paying $200+ month is getting so much stuff they could cut out. Stuff like NFL, premium channels, massive channel package, etc,etc.

The comparison is just not the same.

Sort of like somebody that stopped eating at Ruth Chris's and went to Arbys. Of course you saved money.

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't do any of the movie channels (besides, what they show is as old as the free ones!) or the premium sports. What I watch is all on the one-step-up from the basic.

6. Kisby

Kisby High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are mistaken. I see this often. Satellite TV requires a mini-box on each TV that you must pay for. The monthly fee was around $7 for each additional TV in your house! Plus monthly fees for DVR box and other equipment in your home. Cord cutting does not do this. That alone is a huge savings. Also, satellite requires a contract. Streaming = no contract. So, once football season is over, you can modify your sports package, for example, and save even more money. My family has all the same channels we did before, and the service is better.

I didn't go from Ruth's Chris to Arby's, I stayed with the filet, I just got smarter and am paying significantly less.

7. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yes, you do have the per tv/box cost. I was referring to those that are over $200 and compare to "cord cutting". If they are over $200, it is not because of 6 boxes ($40), it is because of lots of add ons that they usually do NOT have with most "cord cutting" options. (higher tier package, premium channels, football, sports, etc). Personally, I have not been on a contract with my Directv in 4-5 years. Currently have 4 boxes and at $51 a month. I call to cancel each year and get them down to a price I can live with to have DVR boxes and a few other things. In reality, the bulk of TV we watch is Hulu and Prime.

8. Ken D

Ken D Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It also comes down to where you live as to what you have available and at what cost. It is not just someone has added on too much as to why it costs too much. What I have available (and what I pay) in Dallas versus what my parents have in small-town SC, are two different things. Even in Dallas, what companies I have available in my neighborhood is different from what other neighborhoods here have.

For AT&T U-Verse, I could have gone down a plan (and lose some channels I watched), but it was also still higher than YouTube TV. They also offered special rates when I was dealing with their retention department, and that was still higher. I also had already dropped the additional boxes for other TVs, and use antenna on those. They also charge $10/month for HD (which in 2020 should just be included).

Even for streaming, it should be based on what you watch and different services/packages may meet the needs for different people. YouTube TV meets my needs, but it may not for someone else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mandinga

Mandinga Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I "Cut the Cord" about a year ago. Reduced my bill a little over $100 a month. It would have been more but I had to go with something with Local channels since I can't pick up the channels through the air very easily. Went with YouTube TV and am really only missing out on the History Channel.

10. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It just occurred to me that the term "Cut the cord" has become a serious misnomer. Most people have not truly "cut the cord" which should probably be reserved to those who switch to Antenna only for TV. What most people have done is just switched cords from a coaxial to an ethernet/cat5.

11. Kisby

Kisby High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True in many cases, but my TVs are connected via my home WiFi. The only cord is power. It certainly is a lot easier to set up and use than all those old cable or satellite receivers, boxes, and wires! :)

12. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You got some magic wireless way of getting internet to your house? If not, its coming in via a cable.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kisby

Kisby High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please read my post carefully. I said I have a home WiFi. No cords to the TV. Obviously I have internet to my home. Did you not understand what I meant, is this your sense of humor, or are you just being a smart-ass?

14. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That comment is the definition of a Philadelphia Lawyer: a very shrewd lawyer who is expert in the exploitation of legal technicalities.

15. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will not GUESS what the earlier poster was saying, but....

Cord Cutting really is a bit of a misnomer. For those that opt to various streaming options, they often have to increase the "size" of the cable coming into their home and in some cases are just switching from Cable TV/Sat Cable to internet cable. Higher price for that internet cable than what folks would normally need. Then adding in cost of various services. And the Roku/etc boxes.

Maybe it should be called "cord switching"??? LOL

16. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My original statement about people swapping one cord for another was in reference people paying for internet based TV services as opposed to cable/satellite based TV services. They cut the cord (coax for satellite or cable) and replaced it with a network cable (not necessarily directly to the TV but to the house). If anything you were being a smart ass by telling me you were getting your content to your TV via WiFi. I responded by pointing out that your WiFi is being fed by an internet service you are paying for which is most certainly delivered to your house via a cable (coax if cable company, RJ11 if DSL based).

17. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rest my case. :kill:

18. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI, it was just supposed to be humorous observation. Wasn't meant to start a serious debate about it.

19. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Xfinity can kiss it. I cut that cord December 2018 and never looked back. I got so tired of the game with them: call to threaten account close- get new offer for cheaper. And each year the price rose. I felt they thought they were the only game in town and I had to take it. Fire stick, Prime and Hulu suits me just fine. I even tossed Netflix January 1.

20. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hence my emoji!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.