1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cable Co vs. local TV station

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The local NBC station is in a dispute with Time Warner over the fees they are being paid from TW. They have been threatening to drop the local station because they wanted too much of an increase.

We are past the deadline but the FCC says you can't drop a station during the major ratings periods. The ratings ended Wed at midnight and neither side blinked. So for two days now, no local NBC station on cable.

I've seen this disputes before and usually at the last minute they resolve it. Not this time.

It is still available off-air of course, if you have an antenna, or Dish & Directv. But here in the SE WI area, cable penetration is over 60%.

2. walylama

walylama Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When that same sort of thing happened last year with DirecTV I called and demanded the NFL Sunday ticket for free and they coughed it up. It sounds like an inconvenience to you and they are not providing the content that you signed up for. I bet you can at least get a few dollars off a month since they don't have Sunday ticket. Maybe HBO ? I will say that I used to have TWC and they have the all time worst customer service I've ever experienced. I hope they make good.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! I bitched and moaned and threatened to cancel, but the best they would cough up was Cinemax for 3 months. TWC wouldn't extend my HBO for even 3 months.

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we had an incident like that before, I think it was our abc channel. channel was off cable for a weekend, finally on monday the reached an "agreement" but didn't provide any details.

lately we get commercial bites asking the public to call to complain about the possible removal of stations due to "outrageous" prices being charged. the verdict is out on that one, when abc went off the air I hardly noticed since I don't watch many of their shows anyway.

5. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    currently going on in the L.A. area with TWC and CBS. Both CBS and TWC are airing commercials against each other to try to win sympathy with viewers.

TWC is stating that CBS wants a 600% increase in the fees TWC has to pay to carry the CBS channels, and TWC says that they are not paying those rates.

We will see what happens as it is a few days away from the deadline.

6. CaliMike

CaliMike “My home away from home”

Trips to Las Vegas:

LOL you said "penetration" :evillaugh :poke:

7. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK Beavis................

8. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In NYC we have the same thing VegasBJ has in LA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.