1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cab vs Uber/Lyft

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by PearlWhiteGT, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PearlWhiteGT

PearlWhiteGT Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve never used anything other than a cab when traveling but I’m considering trying out uber/lyft the next time we’re in Vegas. And pros and cons between Cabs and Uber/Lyft?

2. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find rideshare to be a little cheaper and the vehicle is usually cleaner. You can also do group rideshares which are a lot cheaper, but it may take longer to get to your destination

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree, cheaper, plus an added bonus is you have recourse if they take a longer route... You can just ask a trip review if the driver takes a way longer route, and they'll adjust the price. (Also, a longer route with a ride share is usually much cheaper than a longer route with a cab)

PS if first ride you can preload promos (and no, this isn't the one where I get credit. That would only give you $2 this gives more :)

Just be careful of when you load as they have an expiration

https://www.uber.com/promo/

https://www.lyft.com/promo-coupon-code-free-rides

4. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was happy using cabs never having any issues. Three years ago we switched to Lyft and I don't think I could ever take a cab again. Almost every driver I have had has been great. On our trip last month we were tunneled for the first time ever but it was no big deal because the Lyft charge was the same as the trip before. I do like that every driver we have had took great pride in their vehicle and all were very clean.

Mark

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FreddyDan

FreddyDan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My opinion...

Taxi Pros:
    - Faster to get one
    - Closer to the lobby (a few steps) or at the airport (more steps!).
    - You pay cash

Taxi Cons:
    - Surcharge for credit card use
    - You can be long haul if you don't know the best route

Uber Pros:
    - Cheaper (few bucks). Promo code for first time user
    - Credit card charge at the end of the trip without showing it to the driver
    - Driver are more friendly (you rate them at the end of the trip from 1 to 5 stars)

Uber Cons:
    - You need a smartphone with data
    - You have to preorder it and find the good one (wait time is about 5 minutes)
    - You still can be long haul but it's easy to complain to uber (your trip is record by GPS)

My personnal choice: Uber (never used Lyft but assume it's the same)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. FYMYAWF

FYMYAWF VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm an Uber guy here in the City but in Vegas I'm exclusively cabs. I'm on vacation, I'm (generally) drunk, and I have places to go, people to see; I have zero problem spending a couple extra bucks to save a lot of extra minutes/hassle. Vegas time is way more precious to me than Vegas money.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AnAmericanTexanInVegas

AnAmericanTexanInVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never taken a cab in LV, but I've taken several Ubers/Lyfts and have had nothing but good experiences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done the Uber thing for the past three-(3) years in multiple cities (including Las Vegas). As others have stated, I'm a fan. Haven't yet used Lyft, though I've set-up an account. I prefer Uber over a cab, but I won't think twice before jumping in a cab if it's more convenient. Honestly, thanks to ride-share, I think cabbies have cleaned up their acts quite a bit.

9. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ride share drivers are significantly more friendly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. airball1996

airball1996 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plus you know how much your fare is going to be before you even step foot in the car with Uber/Lyft. No more sweating those red lights or traffic jams in a taxi....

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, with Lyft you are given a range. It could be more, or less

12. topcard

topcard Vegas Has Re-Opened!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uber & Lyft fan here as well....for the reasons already listed, but also because it rewards innovation & sends a clear message to the taxi companies about their loss of integrity.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating:
    The cab companies could go a long way toward restoring at least some good-will by instituting a zone-based flat rate system for airport trips (either direction) - and they should use Uber & Lyft average fares to determine their own.
    Examples? You bet!
    From McCarran:
    Zone 1 - Trop, MGM, Hard Rock, NYNY, MB, Excalibur, Luxor, etc. Fare is $12.
    Zone 2 - Aria, Bellagio, PH, Paris, Cosmo, Bally's. Fare is $15.
    Zone 3 - Caesar's, Mirage, TI, Harrah's, Linq, Cromwell, Venetian, Palazzo, Wynn, Encore. Fare is $18.
    Zone 4 - SLS, Westgate, Strat, Rio, Gold Coast, Orleans, Palms. Fare is $20
    Zone 5 - Downtown, or off-strip. Fare is $26.
    Add $5 per trip for any en-route stop... so, if you're sharing a cab - first stop at NYNY, $5 gets added. 2nd stop at Mirage = total fare of $23.
    No "surge" pricing. No charge for "time" spent getting to the destination. No mileage charges.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. topcard

topcard Vegas Has Re-Opened!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know if they still do it in Houston, but many years ago, they instituted "zone" fees out of IAH.... you could select the zone rate or the meter - passenger's choice. You just had to tell the driver when you got in.
    Not a lot of zones, but I recall that they did have "downtown", "Texas medical center/Astrodome" and "Hobby airport", and those zone fares were WAY cheaper than the meter would be.

14. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

I've been long-hauled in Vegas in a cab and/or sat in a cab for a long time in traffic. Honestly, I don't mind it though...I like the convenience of knowing exactly where to find the cab and supporting the local guy. I'm generally pretty loose with my money in Vegas, hoping it'll pay off in Karma. On my last trip, that worked!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had a bad Uber/Lyft experience in Vegas but I have been long hauled by a cab multiple times, and at best I get a sullen attitude from the cab drivers. I'd rather take the bus than a cab now. No contest for me.

A low strip trip? Could be….
    Boom! A comp arrives and I can’t say no
  16. The Rebel One

The Rebel One Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just FYI on cab rides. If you feel you’ve been unjustly long routed, specifically, let’s say you were ran through the tunnel from the airport to say for example, The Tropicana, wait until you arrive and ask the driver, hotel doorman or you can call (702) 668-4005. I almost guarantee the driver will eat the meter price or a big reduction instead of dealing with Taxi Authority Police, who have arrest powers especially if Taxi Cab Authority Police are on the way. There’re pretty quick in response to this nonsense. If you feel unsafe at any time by the drivers actions call the number immediately, and call the number of Taxi company phone number located on vehicle, plus snap a picture of the drivers posted information near glove box.

http://taxi.nv.gov

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2019
  17. Tonyfromjersey

Tonyfromjersey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve used Uber almost exclusively the last three trips. I do think costwise it is far cheaper than a cab. But sometimes cabs can be a bit more convenient depending on where your at. Overall I use Uber about 90% of the time.

18. Universal

Universal High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope to never get in a cab again if I can help it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. airball1996

airball1996 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or just use an Uber/Lyft and skip that whole potential mess.... Last thing I want to do at anytime on my trip is argue with a cabbie and potentially go through all this.... No thanks.

20. Roccoscollar

Roccoscollar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From airport to downtown

Uber/Lyft ~ $20 (not including tip)
    Taxi ~ $40 (not including tip)

Taxi $3 surcharge if you use a credit card.

I'm not math whiz but this one is pretty easy to figure out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.