1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cab Fares to Decrease?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by bjpcyclone, Nov 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A 13% decrease in fares is a pretty good dent for the first year with Uber/Lyft. Cabs will always be around and have significant business because so many people can't/won't adapt to any change but this is the beginning of a much bigger decline for the industry (similar to satellite/cable and cord cutting right now).

2. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Couldn’t agree more.

I’m all for Uber/Lyft – more competition benefits us all. But, for me, the convenience and anonymity of cabs (at least in Vegas) far outweighs the $2-3 I’m going to save by using Uber/Lyft.

3. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still won't go back to a cab in Vegas (had a bad experience and was threatened by the driver) but I think the biggest reason is the potential deception. Some cabbies are deliberately trying to deceive you with the route. And most won't be held accountable. It's hard to do that with Uber/Lyft since the route is GPS tracked and you have a rating system.

Even if the fares were about even id still lean to Uber/Lyft because to this day, every ride has been a pleasant experience.

4. Dutch34

Dutch34 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But in my experience, it's not $2 or $3 savings. Example: had cabbie buddy pick us up at Cosmo to take us downtown. Direct shot and it was $19.xx. He was off duty when we returned, so we did Uber...$9.50 for return. I'm not advocating one or the other, but like anyone, we don't mind paying half for any good or service if the same outcome is the result.

5. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This +1. The cabs are way too slow to respond to these shifts in demand, so they will slowly wither away until they completely shut down. They simply cannot compete with Uber and Lyft rates. Their only competitive advantage is the fact that they are more conveniently located at the airport, and I imagine that will be short lived.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jbee

jbee Low-Roller

With almost all strip properties charging a parking fee now, taxis, uber and lift will go up in price, respectfully.
    I would still chose Uber or Lyft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.